MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams Tight End Ready To Deliver?

RAMS TIGHT END READY TO DELIVER?
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2008, 8:02 a.m. EDT
    When tight end Randy McMichael was cut by the Dolphins and landed with the Rams, high expectations immediately followed.

But McMichael simply didn’t deliver.

The problem was, in part, that a rash of injuries to offensive tackles required the Rams to keep McMichael in to help with the blocking. As a result, he had the lowest production of his career.

“It was a miserable year, not just for me but for the team,” McMichael said of last season. “It just seemed like everything that could go wrong did go wrong for us.”

This time around, the linemen are healthy (for now), and new offensive coordinator Al Saunders is bringing back the Greatest Show on Turf-style approach that Mike Martz once used to take the team to a Super Bowl title.

“As soon as I found out that they’d hired Coach Saunders, I got really excited; this is the kind of offense I’ve dreamed of playing in my whole career,” McMichael said. “I’m just having a good time right now. I think it’s going to be a fun year for everybody.”
    I think he means we're going to win alot this year .. it's hard to have fun if you're losing .. right??

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Tight End Ready To Deliver?

does anyone remember the Rams getting torched by McMichael when he was on the Dolphins? Can't remember what year, but i remember being impressed. Can't wait till he starts doing that again, only in horns.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    does anyone remember the Rams getting torched by McMichael when he was on the Dolphins? Can't remember what year, but i remember being impressed. Can't wait till he starts doing that again, only in horns.
    Good post. I would too like to see that production again. With Becht handling some of the blocking duties, I do see McMichael receiving more.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

i live pretty close to dolphin stadium and have seen a number of their games, ALot of the fans loved mcmichael, he was a great player(arguably their best reciever) and they dont have anyone good their now, he is going to be great for us
    Built RAM tough

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I think he means we're going to win alot this year .. it's hard to have fun if you're losing .. right??
    Unless you're a member of the SLOP... ZING!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    i live pretty close to dolphin stadium and have seen a number of their games, ALot of the fans loved mcmichael, he was a great player(arguably their best reciever) and they dont have anyone good their now, he is going to be great for us
    I'm glad that you are somewhat familiar with this situation, ramsplaya. 'Cuz this brings up a question that I've had since we signed him: Why in the world didn't the Dolphins make an attempt to resign him themselves? Based upon the contract he received from the Rams, he certainly wasn't asking for the moon or anything. Let me know what you think.

WHAT SAY YE?

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

For what it's worth it looked to me like McMichael was doing a very good job blocking last year. Of course I didn't watch him every snap but when he stood out to me it was usually for the good things, solid blocks, pancakes etc. I didn't see him get run over a lot. I believe that he is still as good as he was with the Dolphins if he gets the chances and his number is called the production will come this year, I'm not really worried about that.

I was very surprised to see the Dolphins let him go, I can't even name whoever is starting at TE for them now, so I'm guessing the backup plan didn't work so well either. The Dolphins made some very weird moves last offseason they got rid of all of their top-3 receiving options:

Chris Chambers (traded to Chargers)
    Wes Welker (traded to Patriots)
    Randy McMichael (cut, signed by Rams)

That's actually a decent selection of receivers and players that I feel they could have worked with in the future, the main reason they didn't produce more was the play at QB. They had a good group of receivers and of course a very good RB in Ronnie Brown, all they needed was a legitimate QB and a few reinforcements to the O-line and they'd be back in business on offense IMO. But they chose to do a big housecleaning on offense (they also got rid of some O-linemen) and now it's going to take a long time for them to get anything going down there. If I was a Dolphins fan I'd be shaking my head and wondering what's going on.

I guess I got a little off-topic here it's just something that has confused me for a while, I don't really get those moves.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I expect big things from McMichael this year.