RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams tinker with roster, pick captains

(Published September 01, 2008)

ST. LOUIS The St. Louis Rams were busy on Monday when they tweaked their roster, nearly filled the practice squad and elected their five captains.

Two days after cutting 13 more players to get down to the final 53-man roster, the Rams made more changes.
    Monday morning, the team signed cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. to a one-year contract and released defensive back Eric Bassey.

Manning gives the Rams badly needed depth at cornerback after preseason injuries to starter Fakhir Brown and rookie Justin King. In five NFL seasons, Manning has 14 interceptions, 233 tackles and 33 passes defended.

Rams fans will remember Manning most for the interception he made in overtime against St. Louis in the 2003 playoffs. For now, he is faced with the task of learning defensive coordinator Jim Haslett's defense in less than a week to prepare for Sunday's opener at Philadelphia.

"For me to get out there, I have to know the defense," Manning said. "I can't get out there knowing just some of the stuff. This is for real, these games count so you can't afford to go out there and make mistakes. So I'm on coach's hours. I'm here around the clock."

By the time the afternoon practice was done, the team had made another addition, agreeing to terms with linebacker and special teams ace Gary Stills. The Rams have yet to release a player to make room for Stills as they wait for the contract to be signed.

Stills spent the past two seasons with Baltimore after earning a reputation as a special teams star with Kansas City. Stills, who made the Pro Bowl as a special teamer in 2003, has 218 special teams tackles, including 44 in 2006.

"Special teams is what he really made his name for in this league," coach Scott Linehan said. "One thing that struck us when we were going through a lot of things this weekend and looking to enhance our roster was we felt we wanted to give a jolt to our special teams and find a guy that has been productive and a leader, and can play his position as well."

Also Monday, the players elected five team captains: quarterback Marc Bulger and receiver Torry Holt on offense, linebacker Will Witherspoon and safety Corey Chavous on defense and safety Todd Johnson on special teams.

"It says a lot about those five guys," Linehan said. "There's some other really good guys that received a significant amount of votes, but it was pretty unanimous."

Notes: The Rams resumed practice Monday afternoon after getting the weekend off. ... Brown, receiver Drew Bennett, kick returner Dante Hall and center Brett Romberg returned to practice for light work. ... Receiver Donnie Avery did not participate.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams tinker with roster, pick captains

I'm really hoping Donnie Avery doesn't spend more time in the training room than he does the sidelines...

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Avery's durability is starting to concern me a little. Allot of people wanted Chavous out, but he ended up a captain go figure. I guess he is a vet that has the respect of his peers and coaches

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

"It says a lot about those five guys," Linehan said. "There's some other really good guys that received a significant amount of votes, but it was pretty unanimous."

If it was pretty unanimous how could there be significant votes going to other players? >8)
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Wow, the first three captains deserved it. They really have. The other two, well, I can't say they haven't deserved it, but they should show that they are the ones who deserve the captain's position.

I really hope Avery isn't out for too long, he needs to get to full strength and play.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I'm really hoping Donnie Avery doesn't spend more time in the training room than he does the sidelines...
    Man I with you on that he have had some bad luck.
    :ramlogo:

RealRam is online now Registered User

Monday morning, the team signed cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. to a one-year contract and released defensive back Eric Bassey.
    Isn't Bassey in the practice squad? I thought he was / is eligible...

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Isn't Bassey in the practice squad? I thought he was / is eligible...
    Only if he checks in with the umpire first....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Wow, the first three captains deserved it. They really have. The other two, well, I can't say they haven't deserved it, but they should show that they are the ones who deserve the captain's position.

I really hope Avery isn't out for too long, he needs to get to full strength and play.

How can you say Chavous doesn't deserve to be a captain? Really?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Avery's durability is starting to concern me a little. Allot of people wanted Chavous out, but he ended up a captain go figure. I guess he is a vet that has the respect of his peers and coaches
    Quite true, beast; however, people in this case is equal to fans. It appears the coaches and players see no need to look past Chavous.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod