RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Rams Titans Fight. If everyone already knows, sorry.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Coaches and seasons can change. Tension whenever the Tennessee Titans and St. Louis Rams get together doesn't.

Titans and Rams players went at it all morning long at their joint practice on Wednesday. (Bill Waugh / Associated Press)
    These teams had some feisty joint practices back in 2000, months after St. Louis beat the Titans in the Super Bowl, and it didn't take long Wednesday morning for tempers to flare up as they gathered Wednesday in training camp.

Rams receiver Reche Caldwell grabbed Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan in a bear hug and took him to the ground.

St. Louis coach Scott Linehan was watching his defense with rookie end Chris Long going against the Tennessee offense and Vince Young when he heard some of the grumblings two fields over between his offense and the Titans defense.

"We've got to limit that," Linehan said. "We can't get to where we lose our cool out here. It's that time of year. Guys aren't in very good moods out here. We've just got to make sure we continue to get better. It's good to see us compete and those things. We'll get rid of the extracurricular stuff. It wasn't anything big, a couple of little ones."

That included Pro Bowl defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch skirmishing with Rams left tackle Adam Goldberg. After being blocked to the ground on his rush, Vanden Bosch took a big swing at Goldberg.

The head coaches tried to calm things down. But on the next play, Titans end Sean Conover tangled with St. Louis tackle Mark LeVoir, with Vanden Bosch rushing in to help, without his helmet.

"We were anticipating it, and we need that as a football team," Rams receiver Torry Holt said. "After a while it kind of got excessive as far as the banging and guys trying us. We needed that. That's something we're trying to build on is our toughness and at the same time build on our mental toughness."

Snapshots from training camp
    Wednesday's first practice is the only session in full pads. Taking those off could help ease the tension in several sessions before the teams open the exhibition season Saturday night.

The Rams are trying to build off a 3-13 season by working against Tennessee, a team that went 10-6 in the AFC South and made the playoffs in 2007. The Titans had the NFL's fifth-stingiest defense in yards allowed in 2007, so they offer a good early test for a Rams offense that was 24th a year ago, averaging 297.5 yards and without contract holdout Steven Jackson.

The Titans are pushing themselves defensively to improve as well, and All Pro tackle Albert Haynesworth, who stayed out of the frays, said it's easy for something to happen with Tennessee's aggressive style.

"You know this defense. We're a tough, rough defense. We don't back down from anybody, and that's how we've always played," Haynesworth said. "Ever since that day that Lance Schulters gave us that nickname the Tennessee Tyrants, that's what we've been trying to live up to."

Tennessee cornerback Vincent Fuller, the Titans' fifth defensive back in passing situations, gave Brock Berlin a rough morning by picking him off twice. Fuller said he and Berlin know each other from college when Fuller was at Virginia Tech and Berlin in Miami.

Holt wasn't too surprised by what Fuller did after watching him on film.

"He's definitely a guy we've got to pay attention to the next two days," Holt said.

The Rams had the last say with Caldwell catching a short pass from Marc Bulger and faking to his left, then running past Finnegan into the end zone.

But the action was so hot on the other field for a bit that even Tennessee tight end Alge Crumpler wished he wasn't tied up two fields over.

"Man, I wanted to watch the other field. I wanted to go over there so bad," Crumpler said.

In my opinion things are getting better. The team should be tougher. I say keep Reche "Bug-eyed" Caldwell for some flare.

Again, I'm usually late with this news stuff but I didn't see it anywhere else on the site.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Titans Fight. If everyone already knows, sorry.

Thanks Archer. I had just gotten ready to post it myself but you beat me to it by about 10 minutes. good work.

Personally, I like Torry Holt's comment/approach on the matter. Instead of saying it's not cool or whatever, it's clear he wants the team to use it to get tougher by. it won't be any less nastier come Sundays in September, so i think its a good wake up call.

ps. even though it was the Rams offense scuffling with the Titan defense, Incognito was not mentioned in the article, which in some small way is possibly a good sign.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Thanx for your work in posting this Arch. But, having said that, I don't think Caldwell scuffling with a few red necks on the Titans makes him a viable candidate to make the Rams. Sure if we're looking for a bouncer or an enforcer or what not, but we've got to keep all of the quality talent we can at the wr position. And that most likely leaves R. Caldwell out of the equation for the Rams.

WHAT SAY YE ?

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I Dunno, Holt, Bennet, the two rooks plus Caldwell? I'm gonna assume Looker's out because Wilkins is out. There not much of a need for him. Really though I was just joking, I can't stand to look at the guy, his eyes just drive me crazy. If we're looking for a bouncer hands down job goes to Cogs.

They should get tougher. Football should still be a tough game, regardless of the crazy rules that just about give you a stike zone on a player.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    ps. even though it was the Rams offense scuffling with the Titan defense, Incognito was not mentioned in the article, which in some small way is possibly a good sign.

Nah, he'll wait for the games to count before he starts racking up the stupid penalties.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Is there something wrong with intensity? Guys are fighting to make it in the NFL.

I love it.....

Did Haslett go after anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Did Haslett go after anyone?
    No, but he continued to look "fiery" on the sidelines....

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    If we're looking for a bouncer, hands down job goes to Cogs.

They should get tougher. Football should still be a tough game...

Totally agree! Aside from having Team Captains, give Richie the 'Field Marshall' tag on his jersey with this Clan logo on it (and make it BIG too):

BTW, I saw today's fight on NFLN but who was the Ram OL or DL that was pancaking, smashing, and waffling a Titan on the ground?

Josh Guest

the titan was scott conover. I dont know who the ram was.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Is there something wrong with intensity?
    There's nothing wrong with intensity, but people considered a lot of what Incognito did last season as intensity-driven and I considered it a failure to be able to control himself in critical situations. This isn't even the preseason- it's a freakin' practice. Guys fight with their own team mates in practice. As long as no one breaks anyone's nose- I see nothing wrong with it. I just don't want it carrying over into the regular season and costing us 15 yds when we don't need it. And besides- isn't Scott Linehan's dynamic & boisterous personality on the sidelines enough intensity for the team???

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

That included Pro Bowl defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch skirmishing with Rams left tackle Adam Goldberg. After being blocked to the ground on his rush, Vanden Bosch took a big swing at Goldberg.
    im really happy about this quote

Adam Goldberg, our back up left tackle, managed to block KVB to the ground. The guy was a pro bowl pass rusher a couple of seasons back. Id be annoyed if i got owned by a guy like Goldberg too, but it shows the Rams backups have some skills

Titanium is offline Registered User

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but back to the links issue

I've worked with the Titan's website for 10 years now and have learned a lot about what you "can" and "cannot" do with or on a website.

Number one big NO NO is to post an article (unless you wrote it yourself) You always post a link to that article to avoid copywrite infringement.

So this site won't allow links, but will allow someone to post an entire article? I'm surprised you all haven't been contacted by media types yet asking you to not post articles unless it's a link to it's original posting.

Off to another day of practice against your Rammies. I'll be posting more photos on goTitans.com after practice.