Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Rams trade Carriker to Skins

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    And look at him! He can't even play anymore!
    who Ogden? 12 year career,11 Pro Bowls...so he retired aged 33...Pace and Walter Jones were just as done at that point..if Smith can have anyone of those kind of careers our FO is doing just fine.

if you gonna give the monkey a gun,i`d suggest you don`t give him ammo...but ya gave him blanks anyway, so it`s all good.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Using the trade value chart:

Moving from 163 to 135 is worth 12.3 points
    The 211th pick is worth 7 points.

Carriker was worth 5.3 points OR the 23rd pick in the 7th round.

I think it's probably fair to say that without this trade, he was going to be cut.
    LOL yes I would have to say
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    So who is are new left tackle? For now it's Alex. Why draft a converted TE as your #2 pick overall and make him a right tackle. If he starts at left this year he is a year behind, he would have had a year under the belt. Thats if he stayed healthy.
    we shall find out in due course..i expect him to play LT next season. he needed to adjust to playing in the NFL..he has adjusted now..next season he will adjust to playing LT on a regular basis..(he played a little LT last year)

shall we just get back to the point of the thread..the trade of Adam Carriker...i take some of the blame..i should have just ignored your off-base comments about the FO and just let you believe its the same one that made those draft picks...and that we have traded our 1st rounders from 1 or 2 years ago..

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    who Ogden? 12 year career,11 Pro Bowls...so he retired aged 33...Pace and Walter Jones were just as done at that point..if Smith can have anyone of those kind of careers our FO is doing just fine.

if you gonna give the monkey a gun,i`d suggest you don`t give him ammo...but ya gave him blanks anyway, so it`s all good.
    That was his point. I think you need to turn your sarcasm meter back on.

Using the trade value chart:

Moving from 163 to 135 is worth 12.3 points
    The 211th pick is worth 7 points.

Carriker was worth 5.3 points OR the 23rd pick in the 7th round.

I think it's probably fair to say that without this trade, he was going to be cut.
    We didn't give up the 211th pick, we acquired it in exchange for the 208th. You'd have to find the difference in value between the 208th and 211th, which I bet is 0 according to the value chart.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    We didn't give up the 211th pick, we acquired it in exchange for the 208th. You'd have to find the difference in value between the 208th and 211th, which I bet is 0 according to the value chart.
    The difference is 1.2. That means Carriker was valued at 11.1 or the 10th pick in the 7th round.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I'm torn on this one. The fan in me says that we should held onto him and let things play out for another year. The realistic part of me is just happy that we least got something of value for him.
    I guess it all comes down what kind of compensation we get with a fifth and seventh round pick?
    With a fifth your definitely looking for depth, and in the seventh round your drafting someone pretty much for a "project" or an "experiment." like a third string QB.
    Depth may not be the worst way to go with the amount of injuries we have around here, but damn it is really starting to piss me off seeing talented players be given away around here.
    Spags and company better start to prove they know what they're doing because I'm really starting to wonder.

The difference is 1.2. That means Carriker was valued at 11.1 or the 10th pick in the 7th round.
    See? That's so much more than the 23rd pick in the 7th round

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I usually try to leave all "feeling" and "speculation" out of my analysis, which makes them rather dull, BUT I do have a bad feeling about this one. I truly believe that Carriker is going to develop into a very solid player, unfortunately for another team. I am completely on board with the new regime and I can only hope that their plan for the future translates into putting a competitive team on the field. That being said, I still don't feel well about this move and I do wish AC all the best with his new club.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Making the deal moves us up 28 spots in the 5th round to have two top four 5th round picks which are much more trade able than the eagles pick was.
    I agee 100% this trade has move up in the draft written all over it in my opinion or they could be trying to acquire Osi Umenyiora with a combination of draft picks or give up their 4th for him and move back in by trading both 5th rounders sounds good to me. Besides I do not believe Carriker was going to be a big component of this years defensive line.

Go Rams 2010

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    I don't think AC was a bust, but he wasn't "great" or an game-changer either. I feel we got a deal of value for him.
    No, HE IS A BUST!!! Lets be patient and see what Spags has in mind. There must be potential at the 5 spot, if that's the case we got a steal from somebody we would have cut anyway.

I'm disappointed I wanted to see him be a monster, but instead of ugly mean, he was ugly looking.

So what's up does this seal the deal and we are getting Suh?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRamFan View Post
    I usually try to leave all "feeling" and "speculation" out of my analysis, which makes them rather dull, BUT I do have a bad feeling about this one. I truly believe that Carriker is going to develop into a very solid player, unfortunately for another team. I am completely on board with the new regime and I can only hope that their plan for the future translates into putting a competitive team on the field. That being said, I still don't feel well about this move and I do wish AC all the best with his new club.
    If he can stay healthy i too believe he could develop into a very solid player...but we would likely have to switch to a 3-4 if it was gonna be with us and Spags aint a 3-4 guy, so we better to cut our losses now and get something for him,however small it is deemed at this point.

just like you i do wish him all the best with his new club..it`s a no win situation tho for me..as him doing well will mean years of.."we shouldnt have done it" kinda threads..and the fact that he managed to do it because he switched to a more natural position for his skill set as End in a 3-4 instead of a DT in a 4-3 will be forgotten by those starting up those kind of threads.

itsguud is offline Registered User

WOW! Our 13th overall pick two years ago is enough for us to swap 5th round picks. That is a joke. We will be lucky if the 5th rounder ends up on ST or the practice squad.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    So who is are new left tackle? For now it's Alex. Why draft a converted TE as your #2 pick overall and make him a right tackle. If he starts at left this year he is a year behind, he would have had a year under the belt. Thats if he stayed healthy.
    For all intents and purposes, you can safely assume Smith will be our starting Left Tackle next season. They put him at RT to allow him to become acclimated to the speed of the NFL for a year, rather than giving him a baptism of fire and letting Bulger suffer the consequences. At LT, you're up against the best pass rushers in the league. Playing at RT, you face a lot of good pass rushers, but never Dwight Freeney or Mario Williams.

Whilst the two positions aren't exactly the same, they aren't completely dissimilar, either. Playing Smith at RT allows him to adjust to the speed of the NFL before he transitions to playing on the Left Side this season. For that reason, I don't think he's a year behind the 8-Ball. If anything, he's better served to be a starting LT than any rookie coming out this season because he has NFL experience playing tackle.

BTW, if you think that the fact that Smith played TE for a year at Baylor made him a bad selection at #2 overall, you need to watch some footage of him playing at OT.

This is wildly off topic, so I'd like to head back to Carriker for a moment.

I think he's going to be a monumental success when you consider what the Redskins paid for him. He was never a bad player here, but he was miscast. Ironically, he was miscast by Haslett, who fought so hard to get him in DC, but that's besides the point. I think that if he can stay healthy, he'll do a great job as a 3-4 DE and I think it's the position that he's made for ... Provided Jimmy H doesn't give him some playing time at SS too.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Ultimately in STL, Carriker would be the ultimate catch-22. He started last year in Spags' dog-house and by the time came for the regular season he was on IR again.

We likely would have seen the same type of scenario play out. He starts at the bottom rung of DT's on this squad and has to duke it out with the likes of Gibson and Scott (both of whom showed a lot of potential) and maybe come in on spot duty in our D-Line. Ultimately that's a waste of money for a 1st round pick and everyone would complain about it as such after 3 or 4 weeks of the regular season.

It's better that he's gone now and we don't have to play the 'Oh he's been a waste of a pick!' game in October instead.

As for the 5th rounders fight for time on practice squads and special teams comment, refer to the Indianapolis Colts, a team that sees several 5 round players (or later) as starters

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast