throwback week

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Re: Rams trade Carriker to Skins

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    He was never a bad player here, but he was miscast. Ironically, he was miscast by Haslett, who fought so hard to get him in DC, but that's besides the point. I think that if he can stay healthy, he'll do a great job as a 3-4 DE and I think it's the position that he's made for ... Provided Jimmy H doesn't give him some playing time at SS too.
    I may be remembering this wrong, but didn't Haz regularly put a 3-4 alignment on the filed, in certain situations? Maybe he wanted a 3-4, but losehan wouldn't let him. Of course, we really didn't have the right players for a full time 3-4 either.

gap

RealRam is offline Registered User

Disappointed. As already stated by some, Carriker would have had his final chance with the Rams this year, firstly in staying healthy and strong for the season. Now we'll have to find out via Washington, DC. Still, may he be well, do well.

As soon as I saw this thread I too immediately thought: hmmm, does this increase odds of selecting Suh?

Yes but not by much! Rams will just have to keep fresh quality oil in the DL engine -- with a quality additive.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    There definitely seems to be something wrong with our player development. I just can't accept the fact that only 3 or so guys since the 2004 draft are making any sort of impact here.
    BINGO!

Anybody wonder why the Rams have been so bad the last few years?

Too many bad drart picks, like Carriker is probably the single biggest reason.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post

As for the 5th rounders fight for time on practice squads and special teams comment, refer to the Indianapolis Colts, a team that sees several 5 round players (or later) as starters
    Yeah, but if we drafted as successfully as the Colts, this wouldn't even be an issue, as our Carriker pick would be a pro bowler by now.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I am waiting to resereve judgement until after the draft. I am bummed right now that we only got to move up in the 5th round for Carriker but it is a much more attractive pick then the lower part of the draft. We might be able to package our picks and move up into the 4th round or we might be able to trade one for a proven NFL player. This regime is going to tell me a lot in this draft about how tight their budget is. If they attempt to trade some of these draft picks for proven players I would be happy. I doubt they will though because they look like they are going cheap. The reason I would like to trade for some proven players is because I think this team is very inexperienced and needs more proven players. It is amazing how much money has come off the books over the last year.

We released, traded, or did not resign a lot of old veterans over the last year Pace, Holt, Little, Bulger, Pisa, Witherspoon, Bennett, McMichael, Incognito, Chavous, Trent Green, and now maybe Atogwe. The year before we also dumped Bruce. The Rams are lucky this is not a capped year because there would be more free agents out there and they would be under bigger scrutiny from the fan base. There have been several draft picks traded for players this off-season. It would have been nice for the Rams to trade for a proven player.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-20-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Damn, that's like trading in a car that you bought new!

It's worth diddly squat.

How many times this decade?

The Rams have sunk so low they have nowhere to go but up.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

You know, I find it amusing that an injured player equates with poor drafting skills. I gotta be honest.......if the Rams could have successfully predicted Carriker's injuries, they should get out of football and go into lottery forecasting.

Now it's not that the Rams haven't done a bad job in the draft......cause they have.

But you can't hold up Carriker as an example of bad drafting. He got injured. No way to predict that.

I'd venture a guess that roughly 95% of this board would like the Rams to draft either Sam Bradford or Ndamakong Suh. So if the Rams draft Bradford/Suh and he stays injured for most of a 3 year career, then gets traded, will the Rams FO be idiots for that as well?

Tye Hill was a terrible 1st round selection.
    Trung Canidate was a terrible 1st round selection.
    Jimmy Kennedy was a terrible 1st round selection.

With each of those and others, the Rams could have been wiser in their choosing.

But with Carriker, they had a kid who was a true talent and a good selection. Sometimes bad crap happens..........and such is the story of Adam Carriker and the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But with Carriker, they had a kid who was a true talent and a good selection. Sometimes bad crap happens..........and such is the story of Adam Carriker and the Rams.
    I wish it were only sometimes unfortunately it seems to be the majority of the decisions that have been made by this organization have been bad decisions. I will reserve judgment on some of the selections by the new regime. But IMO the lack of action has caused the bleeding to continue. Some of that lack of action could be a direct result of the ownerships desire to sell. I really thought they would have a budget near last years cap and work out the financials with the potential new buyers but it looks like it will be well under that cap.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-20-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Scidog68 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    So who is are new left tackle? For now it's Alex. Why draft a converted TE as your #2 pick overall and make him a right tackle. If he starts at left this year he is a year behind, he would have had a year under the belt. Thats if he stayed healthy.

WE did not convert him, he had already made the switch. AND shown great ability. We drafted a talented Tackle who would seem to be progressing nicely, as a Tackle minus the penalties.

Keenum is offline Registered User

If we were going to release him anyway, than at least we got SOMETHING for him. Still, I really thought his value would be a bit more than that.
    Oh well. As said before, you gotta wonder if it's not been our drafting that has been bad, but player development. Hopefully Spags and company can turn that around.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I'd venture a guess that roughly 95% of this board would like the Rams to draft either Sam Bradford or Ndamakong Suh. So if the Rams draft Bradford/Suh and he stays injured for most of a 3 year career, then gets traded, will the Rams FO be idiots for that as well?
    Depends. Why was he getting hurt? Especially in the case of Bradford; if the injuries were a result of him being a human pinata behind the line for those 3 years, then yes, they were idiots for taking the QB before they could protect him.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Note to management: Buy low, sell high.

Unfortunately, it's starting to look like all those armchair GMs who said we shouldn't have taken him to play defensive tackle were right.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Agree with you that Carriker was a good talent. The only problem i had then and still have now is drafting a guy to play him out of position. We incorrectly selected Carriker to fit into a Defense we were not running.

My problem with him now is that he is incorrectly being labelled as a "bust" where his value is looked at as only worth a trade up in the 5th round. I believe he will go to Was and flourish if he is in his proper 3-4 DE position. And then we will have drafted him when we shouldn't have and traded him when we shouldn't have. (Or not for value).

Either way Carriker is proving a point of why BPA isn't always the best option. He was IMO the BPA when we drafted him. But as he didn't fit our scheme it was a waste.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I may be remembering this wrong, but didn't Haz regularly put a 3-4 alignment on the filed, in certain situations? Maybe he wanted a 3-4, but losehan wouldn't let him. Of course, we really didn't have the right players for a full time 3-4 either.

gap
    No you're right. We circumstantially employed a 3-4, but we saw much more of this when Haslett was the interrim. Carriker started at DE in the 4-3 in the final two games of his rookie season too. In his career in STL, it's safe to say he was miscast.

Carriker played DE, UT, NT and the 5-Technique in our 3-4 sets and couldn't find a home.

Memo to Haslett: Pick a position. Keep him there.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Miscast or not miscast, what difference does it make? He couldn't stay on the field, plain and simple. I'm not going to lose sleep over losing a guy who after 3 years, we still don't have a clue whether he is any good or not. Cut the cord, accept what we received for him, and lets move on and win some football games.

And as far as the people complaining about how bad our drafting is, our last 2 drafts in Devaney seem to be much better than those under Linehan and Shawgmunt. And we have a whole lot of picks this year. Have a little faith. And I have a feeling with this new 3 day format, there are going to be trades flying around left and right. With all our picks (not to mention our high drafting spot in every round) I would be shocked if we didn't walk out of this draft with a bunch of new players, both rookies and vets.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast