Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

rams trade jimmy kennedy to broncos

the rams have traded kennedy to the broncos for a 6th round pick, according to espn.

i dont like the move. i think a 6th rounder has very little value and while i am not defending kennedys play in the past, he has shown flashes and i would have rather kept him for depth than rely on completely unproven rookies.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Re: rams trade jimmy kennedy to broncos

this is by far a head scratcher ........... mmmm

There is apparantly nothing deeper than hasletts doghouse. Just ask butler and kennedy. You would think we would at least see the rookies perform in mini camp and training camp. At least see if guys get hurt. What are we going to do now if glover or carriker get hurt before the season starts. Wroten has no track record and a tackle tandem of wroten and glover doesnt given you a run stopper anyway. We have basically one real run stopper on the defensive tackle rotation and he has played ZERO downs in the nfl.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -06-08-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

I wasnt aware that the Broncs had such a need for DTs. They just signed Adams a few days ago. Doesnt this move leave the Rams a bit thin? Perhaps they are making room for a deal yet to be made.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Well I guess this answers the discussion from a couple weeks ago about Kennedy's trade value.

The Rams must have really liked what they saw from Carriker during the rookie minicamp and OTAs. I suppose they also feel confident in what both Ryan and Jackson bring to the table as depth, and they've got Glover and Wroten on the other side.

They certainly have bodies on the line, the question becomes whether or not they're going to perform. Of course, that was the question with Kennedy as well, because his performance to date has been inconsistent at best and not strong at all as a nose tackle.

I can't help but wonder if the Rams want to take both Ryan and Jackson into the regular season roster because they like the upside of both players, but felt they wouldn't be able to do so if they kept Kennedy as that would mean carrying six DTs. Without Kennedy, that leaves five tackles which may be more manageable. Maybe they felt like they knew what they had in Kennedy and simply were not optimistic about improvement.

As for the Broncos, they've added a lot to their D-line this offseason. Two first day draft picks in Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder, tackle Marcus Thomas in the fourth round, and two free agent linemen in Sam Adams and Kennedy. Quite a make-over.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

For a 6th round pick...hmmm..:\

Varg6 is offline Registered User

That is terrible. I don't want Kennedy, but getting rid of him the easiest way (By getting a 6th round pick?) is worse than having Kennedy because he indeed had flashes and I don't think its wise to rely on rookies at the moment. But I guess they figured, we can't get much worse?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

max
    max is offline Registered User

Kennedy is the epitome of a bust.

Linehan saw enough. I'm with this move 100%.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

And what if Kennedy breaks out and has a Pro-Bowl season................ I'd be very pissed. I hope that Wroten is truly ready to step up and show us why we took him in the third round.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick, your rationale would make perfect sense to me if we were in august and the rams had liked what they saw out of the kids and they were all healthy. Clearing out a roster spot before mini camp, let alone training camp or preseason games, especially given the uncertainty of any guy staying healthy that long, is highly suspect. I would have rather waited and got nothing later if we decided that we didnt need him and wanted to carry the kids instead. I am all for taking your best roster with you into the season. I just think this leaves us without any insurance at all.

As to being a bust, sure, he is a bust as the #12 pick in the draft. That doesnt make him worthless. Go ask a carolina fan what they think of damione lewis. He did a pretty good job for them last year. Some guys on their board think lewis was more effective than jenkins. They had limited expectations for lewis and he performed just fine for them.

Kennedy had one year at nose tackle. Just one. In addition, he is now in his contract year and should be highly motivated to perform.

I just dont see the timing of the move. There is no reason to believe that kennedy was a bad attitude guy, which seems to be the tag that got put on butler.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    the rams have traded kennedy to the broncos for a 6th round pick, according to espn.

i dont like the move. i think a 6th rounder has very little value and while i am not defending kennedys play in the past, he has shown flashes and i would have rather kept him for depth than rely on completely unproven rookies.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC -- all things considered, I like the fact that he is no longer a Ram. It is quite possible the Rams are going to make another move and that this is the first step. Whatever, Jimmy was the poster boy for what was wrong with the defense. Lack of consistent effort, combined with unwillingness to do what was asked of him. A clean break is a good thing. We certainly don't know what is in the minds of our coaching staff with regard to Ryan and Jackson, whether they can contribute as rookies or not. Getting rid of JK was necessary as I see it. For better or worse Haslett is going to put his stamp on our defense, and I am sure he wants guys who will leave it all on the field.

Rambos is offline Registered User

The Rams must have really liked what they saw from Carriker during the rookie minicamp and OTAs.
    I agree Nick, they must think he can get it done.

Kennedy is the epitome of a bust.

Linehan saw enough. I'm with this move 100%.
    Max I'm with you on this, I like the move. Let's move on.

If he can't play NT, we don't need him. We have Glover and up and coming Wroten. I'm all for making room as Nick said for the younger guys. It's not like we would have signed him after this year. At least we got a little somthing...more then he ever gave us.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

Maybe he needs a change of scenery? lol
    I've always pulled for the man..I heard great things about him last year 'till the hand injury. I hope he really turns it around in Denver.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

The DT we should've kept was Ryan Pickett (from a performance standpoint).

And we screwed up big time by not drafting Ngata, who went to the Ravens.

Hargrove, Kennedy, Damione Lewis all Huge wastes - and the DL play was a ball a chain for the team.

I can't argue - we got basically nothing for him. The sixth rounder only shows what the Rams thought of him - not much.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -06-08-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Has Wroten done anything yet? I don't get to see all of the Rams games.

I thought he was basicly totally unproven at this point.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast