Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams trade Robert Thomas to Green Bay for CB help

:angryram: ...In looking for information on 'our new acquisition', I found the following two-year-old article from the Packers' archive.

Louisville DB Catches Team’s Eye

By Rick Klauer

Last Updated: April 30, 2003

Green Bay - For now, no one is certain if Chris Johnson has enough ability to cover wide receivers in the National Football League.

Heck, for all anyone knows, Johnson might not be able to cover a scarecrow in a field or a department store mannequin at the Fox River Mall in Appleton.

But when you're blessed with the type of natural speed that Johnson possesses, teams like the Green Bay Packers are willing to make a bet they can teach a rookie like Johnson everything there is to know about shadowing NFL receivers.

"Chris Johnson was the fastest player in this year's college football season that got timed," said Packer coach Mike Sherman when asked about Johnson's sizzling 40-yard dash time.
    "I believe it was more 4.21 or 4.23. Once you get to that speed, I don't think you have to worry about anything else. If he wants to say he ran a 4.18, that's fine by me. All I know is he's fast."

The Packers were so enamored with Johnson's speed that they gave up their sixth-round pick in next year's draft to the Eagles to claim Philadelphia's 31st pick in the seventh round. Sherman was fearful that the Raiders, armed with the 32nd pick in the same round, would claim the speedy cornerback out of Louisville.

"I sent (assistant defensive backs coach) Lionel Washington to work out Johnson in Louisville," said Sherman. "Oakland was there right after us. So I envisioned Oakland picking him.

"It's a typical Al Davis pick and so that's why I opted to move ahead of Oakland one spot. They did in fact take a defensive back with that next pick."

For comparison of speed, Minnesota Vikings running back Michael Bennett, who is easily one of the fastest players in the NFL, ran a 4.36 in the 40 during his agility tests in 2001. The former Milwaukee Tech star also holds Wisconsin's fastest time in the 100 meters with a mark of 10.33 seconds.

Johnson said he ran the same distance in 10.4 while a student at Longview's (Tex.) Pinetree High School. After leaving Pinetree, he spent two years at a junior college before joining the Cardinals in 2001.

Of course, speed doesn't always translate into success on the football field. Sherman didn't hide the fact that Johnson is far from a complete player and said Louisville used the 5-foot-11, 196-pound cornerback in a lot of off-coverage schemes.

"If you watch his tape he's a raw player," said Sherman. "Talking to his coach and his position coach, he stated that in their scheme they play a lot of off-coverage. Until you see him chase somebody, you really don't see that speed in coverage necessarily.

"The coaches told one of my coaches, if you just let him bump the guy and play bump-and-run, he would have been fine. But, he was off. So he's a little bit rusty in his technique."

For a player with such blazing feet, however, it's hard to imagine why he had only one interception in his two years with Louisville. His lone "pick" came during his junior season in the Cardinals' 28-10 victory over BYU in the Liberty Bowl.

Sherman said he will try to use the 23-year-old in any immediate capacity that will benefit the team. For now, that means Johnson will likely contribute on special teams while he continues to hone his coverage skills.

Flash in the pan? / Injuries / Reach / Unknown / We'll see if Rams revive his potential...

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I dunno. The DB from GB was NOT highly regarded coming out of the draft and he's done absolutely nothing since (except get hurt)??

I don't understand.

1 College INT, Has done nothing in the pros??

Martz was totally enamored with Trung Candidate due to his stopwatch speed too.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -09-04-2005 at 03:59 AM.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I don't understand.
    I don't understand the point of keeping Thomas. Maybe you could help me.

1.) What exactly does Robert Thomas do here?

2.) Why should we pay him that much to do it?

3.) Did you see his performance last night? How can you want him on the team after that?

GameTime is offline Registered User

I was thinking the same thing as RealRam, this guy must be better than garrett, otherwise why not release thomas and keep garrett. I thought we have around 6 million in cap space. Why do we need more? Is it to sign deals with guys who will be free agents next year?

maineram is offline Registered User

An article on the official site syas he's still injured !
    OK, maybe we still need DB help, and yes Thomas was going to be released anyway. But The Rams couldn't get at least an injury free player in return for Thomas ?? The packers were in dire need for an experienced player that may need to step in for game one and play outside backer. All we get is an inexperienced, injured, DB that may not be able to cover the scarecrow in grammas garden. We already have Bartell that is raw, with potential.
    Is that DB coach Shottenhiemer rooming with SMOKEr ?

We still have to pay Thomas the 1.2 mil bonus due him and is on this years cap. What would have happened if he was outright released ? Any cap hit there ?

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

general counsel is offline Registered User

Given that thomas was worth nothing to us, was overpaid and had underperformed dramatically, what makes anyone think that anyone would give us anything for him? Dont you think we tried? It never ceases to amaze me that people think that our junk is valuable to someone else.

Note that we got a #3 pick last year for lamar gordon, who was waived yesterday. does anyone give the front office credit for that? Do the people on this board really really believe that they can judge nfl talent better than our management team, especially as it pertains to the role players that we see for a few plays here and there.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

maineram is offline Registered User

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I don't evaluate NFL talent, and won't on this board, but I would like to think that if we are involved in any type of trade where players are swapped, there's somewhat equal value for both teams. My comments are with this trade and this trade only as far as what I (joe, nfl talent evaluator, dumb sh*t) sees as value to my team. The Gordon trade with Miami was an excellent trade for us, this one I don't feel is. Hopefully this Johnson is picking off nfl passes real soon and I'll get out my big fork and start hauling down big chunks of crow( with hot sauce).

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Well it looks like at least he should be able to get down field as a gunner on SP.

Now if he can takle too...........
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Rip32 is offline Registered User

some pics of our new man
    Last edited by Rip32; -12-24-2005 at 09:41 AM.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

This Trade Needed To Be Made, I Would Have Liked To Have Gotten A Player In Return That Has Actually Played, But Hopefully He Surprizes Everyone.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I don't evaluate NFL talent, and won't on this board, but I would like to think that if we are involved in any type of trade where players are swapped, there's somewhat equal value for both teams
    It's just not that easy. You have to look at financial details, contract lengths, and the players real future value on the team.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not sure this "cap savings" argument holds a lot of ground. Keep in mind that by trading him, we take an accelerated cap hit of his remaining bonus money. He received a $3 million bonus when he signed and has two years left on a five year contract, so we're taking an immediate cap hit of $1.2 million, which is probably close to what he counted on the roster. Now we add Chris Johnson's $380,000 salary, and chances are we probably haven't saved anything, and in fact might have lost space.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AJD45 is offline Registered User

From Packers News 9/3: http://www.packersnews.com/archives/...22441174.shtml

"Johnson still is the most physically talented of the three even after missing his first two years because of lower-leg injuries, and he probably scored extra points with a good 30-yard kickoff return Thursday night."

I wouldn't be surprised if the biggest factor in this trade is Johnson's kickoff return potential. Anything the Rams do to help that is great, especially if he turns out to be a real kickoff return threat (the importance of which I'm sure we all fondly yet barely remember after so many years since Mr. Horne). Of course, that's a big IF at this point, and Thomas seems to be a high price to pay to find out if Johnson's actually good. We have to assume some injury time from one or both of our free agent LBs, so having Thomas in reserve was a great luxury. But I guess with the KR performing so terribly the Rams couldn't afford the luxury.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ok, this involves my defense so I'll have to chime in.

Thomas became the fifth linebacker for this unit as Chillar stepped up. C'mon, after Claiborne, Coakley, and Pisa, who cares if they are a middle, sam, or will? Who cares? Who plays better on special teams? I mean Coakley was a special teams pro in Dallas.

Thomas was a bust. He didn't develop. We have depth at LB but we don't in the secondary. Why not take a flyer on this guy? Thomas hadn't produced and wouldn't produce. So be it. Let's get some depth in the secondary.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Thomas was a bust. He didn't develop. We have depth at LB but we don't in the secondary. Why not take a flyer on this guy? Thomas hadn't produced and wouldn't produce. So be it. Let's get some depth in the secondary.
    If we're talking about guys who haven't produced, then we're talking about Johnson, not Thomas. Thomas has been a disappointment and hasn't lived up to his draft status, but he's seen time on the field for three seasons and has wracked up some numbers.

Trading a three-year veteran back-up for a raw late-round pick who in two years hasn't seen the field is concerning to me. I hope Johnson makes me eat a plate of crow for it, but right now, I'm scratching my head.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast