Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Rams trade Robert Thomas to Green Bay for CB help

I have to agree with some here. If Thomas wasn't traded I think he would have been let go. We should feel fortunate to get anything for the guy. He became a true liability on the field and we currently have more pressing issues then an underachieving linebacker

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Nick, he didn't put up first round numbers. He didn't produce to his point of selection is what I'm saying. He may have been the overall 5th LB on our depth chart. Maybe, and wasn't a special teams player.

Couldn't keep him and got depth in the secondary. We'll see.

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

He would have been cut anyway, IMO. We're lucky we got anything for him.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    If Thomas wasn't traded I think he would have been let go.
    Well if that was the case, then obviously the move is positive. Have we seen anything to indicate that Thomas would have been cut had he not been traded?

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    He didn't produce to his point of selection is what I'm saying.
    True, but at least he has experience. We're basically trading a mediocre back-up linebacker for a big question mark at corner. I think you can really make a case either way, but considering Johnson's a two year vet that has been nothing but injured, hopefully the concern is obvious.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Maybe we should get a poll going.

I am with the idea if your going to cut him trade him. If your planning on cutting any guy you cant expect anything of great value in return. Maybe this new guy does nothing in which case we cut him so what. On the other side maybe this young guy who has physical skills and who has been hampered by injury is finally healthy and turns into a good DB, ST, or KR. I would take a contribution in any one of the three categories that have been and remain question marks. Thomas would not have helped in any of the three. I like Faulk and Chillar but I don’t think they will see a lot of time with our solid starting LBs. This would be the only area Thomas would have provided help. It’s something for nothing if we were going to cut him anyway. Thomas was a decent backup (which we have 2 already) but will not get any better he has had a lot of playing time to improve this other guy has not had much playing time yet. He may or may not be able to help so what.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -09-04-2005 at 03:55 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

We dont need the cap right now, the point of the cap savings is, given that i believe thomas had time left for next year, the savings is in the future, when we can use the money.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

I thought Thomas looked real good in preseason myself along with Faulk,etc. and i would imagine that the change of address will help 55 and hope to God that this cb will help our team!..............I didnt like the pick of Thomas a few years ago when other players i had rated extremely higher but,in all honesty i thought that he looked very good the last few games! He started fling around making the plays that he should have been making all along. I think that he will help GB myself!

tanus is offline Registered User

Robert Thomas has never looked good on the field. Thank god he is gone.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Do the people on this board really really believe that they can judge nfl talent better than our management team, especially as it pertains to the role players that we see for a few plays here and there.
    Yes. I'm a fan. By definition, that means I am always right and of course I know more than the FO. Otherwise, why get on a message board and debate the merits of a particular move. I might as well just be a pollyanna and volunteer to pay more for my tickets now so they can get a raise for their constant brilliance.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    We dont need the cap right now, the point of the cap savings is, given that i believe thomas had time left for next year, the savings is in the future, when we can use the money.
    Perhaps. Perhaps not. I doubt keeping him this year and cutting him or trading him next year would kill our cap. We'd be rid of his salary but would still be paying the bonus money, so we're looking at a decrease of about $700,000. Is that kind of space is going to be make or break with us? I would hope not, but I guess we'll see.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I have been informed that we had two remaining years of liability to thomas if we kept him. I dont have the number yet, but even if we only saved 700k for next year, to me every dollar counts. a dollar here and a dollar there, it adds up. that covers a vet minimum contract, who knows what you will need and helps offset the dead money on turley.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AJD45
    I wouldn't be surprised if the biggest factor in this trade is Johnson's kickoff return potential.
    Speed kills. If this is part of the equation and it pans out, the trade will be a great move. Big if at this point though.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

This is not a complicated issue. The Rams were obviously ready to cut Thomas. Every team in the league probably knew that. So... the Rams were fortunate to get anything for him.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I agree with G.C. and A.V.Seeing that 2006 is an even year,and if the Rams stay true to form,its going to be a down year for us,so anything will be a help in reducing a 2006 strapped cap year.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Angry Re: Rams trade Robert Thomas to Green Bay for CB help

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Speed kills. If this is part of the equation and it pans out, the trade will be a great move. Big if at this point though.
    Well, that "if" got answered in approximately two seconds on the opening kickoff to set the tone for the season. One thing kills more than speed: stupidity. How can somebody that gets paid to play professionally a game they have played their entire life be so frickin' stupid to step out of bounds on his own one yard line? Somewhere Robert Thomas was laughing hard. Good move there, Martz. Even better was challenging the play for no reason whatsover except to prove Martz will always be Martz and as long as he's in charge the Rams will be one of the dumbest and least disciplined teams.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123