Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams trade rookie DE Hall Davis to Redskins for rookie TE/FB Dennis Morris

Meaning behind Rams' trade for Morris
    August, 30, 2010
    By Mike Sando

The looming roster cutdown dates have sent teams to the NFL trading post.

After the Arizona Cardinals shipped sixth-round choice Jorrick Calvin to Philadelphia for a rookie fullback, the St. Louis Rams made a similar move. They sent rookie fifth-round choice Hall Davis to the Washington Redskins for a conditional draft choice. The Redskins sent sixth-round rookie tight end Dennis Morris to the Rams, also for a conditional pick.

In both cases, teams parted with players they deemed unlikely to earn roster spots. They addressed depth issues along the way -- not necessarily for the regular season, but at least for the final exhibition games. Morris is listed as a tight end, but he's 6-foot-2 and 265 pounds, making him a candidate to get work at fullback. The Rams might want to protect starting fullback Mike Karney as they approach the regular season; if they can find a versatile backup for him, all the better.

The Rams remain in some flux at tight end. They have intriguing options in rookies Fendi Onobun and Mike Hoomanawanui. Veterans Billy Bajema and Daniel Fells remain in the mix.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Yeah i think this is just a move to keep Karney healthy.
    Uh Oh mixes in at full back too, and they may want to keep him safe for the regular season also. After losing Avery, the Rams dont want to lose any more offensive starters to long term injuries in pre season.

Im guessing the condition related to these deal are that these guys make the week 1 roster. It seems unlikely seeing how late these guys got into camp

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Hmm, and Hall Davis had two pretty nice sacks in one game. Where is Eugene Sims?

This Dennis Morris guy looks like a bruiser, but he is playing against very weak teams.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Bah!! Hindsight is 20/20 but we definitely should have taken Anthony Dixon or Jonathan Dwyer with that pick.

We could have had our backup RB situation solved right now for all intents and purposes.

And you won't be seeing those 2 traded for what amounts to chaff anytime soon.

At any rate it's still in Billy we trust for me, but I've never liked the Hall Davis pick from the get-go. Oh well hopefully Billy's got something else up his sleeve.

WHAT SAY YE?

WHAT SAY YE?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

So basically we trimmed some fat from a position we were going to have cut someone on anyway, and used that person we were going to cut to get a one week look at a potential backup. It's no blockbuster, but it's hard to find a problem with the deal. Used an asset we were getting rid of to look at a different asset we might pick up. Solid.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hmmm, an interesting, surprising, almost lateral move. I am somewhat apprehensive, however, of their HC's remark:

Shanahan said Morris wasn't going to make the 53-man roster.
    Perhaps Morris will make it with us at FB?

Dennis Morris Trade Spells Bad News for Recent Redskins Draft Picks

8/30/2010 4:43 PM ET By David Elfin

David Elfin
    NFL Writer

Many NFL fans know that Terrell Davis was a sixth-round draft pick. But only total Broncos freaks know that 14 spots before Mike Shanahan chose future MVP Davis at 196th overall in 1995, the new coach selected Iowa guard Fritz Fequiere. They know this because Shanahan cut his losses and cut Fequiere before the season began.

Cutting draft picks isn't easy for coaches to do because unlike most free agents, they're generally cheap and are like blank canvases upon which the boss can paint his schemes. They don't have to unlearn habits learned at their previous NFL stop(s).

Which is why what Shanahan, now coaching the Redskins, did today is impressive. After deciding this summer that sixth-rounder Dennis Morris didn't fit his system, the coach didn't play him in preseason, choosing not to waste time evaluating a lost cause [!]. And yet, Shanahan was still able to trade the rookie tight end/fullback from Louisiana Tech to St. Louis in exchange for what some are reporting could be Rams fifth-rounder Hall Davis, a defensive end from Louisiana Lafayette.

"The worst thing people do is keep a draft pick just to keep a draft pick," Shanahan said.
    [Bold mine.] I had looked forward to McCoy at FB / RB, along with Karney, FB.

Last edited by RealRam; -08-31-2010 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Pic

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Jamie McCoy got released...I guess thats why we traded for him. I honestly wasn't the happiest when I seen this because I was impressed with Hall Davis and the Redskins could have got a steal.

This guy could be a steal although I don't think he'll play a big role. Possibly a back up to SJ39?

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Hmm, and Hall Davis had two pretty nice sacks in one game. Where is Eugene Sims?

This Dennis Morris guy looks like a bruiser, but he is playing against very weak teams.
    I saw that as well, he sure didn't have alot of highlights against the SEC caliber schools....hmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Bah!! Hindsight is 20/20 but we definitely should have taken Anthony Dixon or Jonathan Dwyer with that pick.

We could have had our backup RB situation solved right now for all intents and purposes.

And you won't be seeing those 2 traded for what amounts to chaff anytime soon.

At any rate it's still in Billy we trust for me, but I've never liked the Hall Davis pick from the get-go. Oh well hopefully Billy's got something else up his sleeve.

WHAT SAY YE?

WHAT SAY YE?
    I agree 100%, I never liked the pick and I would have loved to have Dwyer in camp now, he was a workhorse at GT and he's showing an ability to do the same now...why do we always do this?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Well one thing i would say is that we at least had some players at back up RB. Yeah Ogbonnaya and Darby arent great, but the depth at DE was not great either. In fact, past Long and Hall, we were struggling for talent. Even Hall shouldnt be starting. So I can definitely understand why they picked up the DEs in the draft. Having Dixon would have been nice though.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I can't say I'm too surprised to see Hall Davis go. Those two sacks in the preseason put him close to his total of 3 sacks over the course of his entire senior year playing in the weakest Conference in Division IA football.

When you see something like this, usually it means neither one of them was going to make it past the next round of cuts with his current team. I'd be surprised if we were actively seeking a backup fullback for the regular season unless he showed promise as a ball-carrier. It'll be interesting to see if Dixon is able to find a spot on the team.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quoting Brian Stull from Twitter...

Redskins just announced roster cuts--which include Hall Davis.
    7 minutes ago via mobile web
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

So can I just go out on a limb here and point out how funny it would be if we signed Hall Davis

RedskinsFan01 is offline Registered User

We really just did not want to give you guys that draft pick lol. By the way, have any of you rams fans been watching the skins at all this pre-season? Adam Carriker has been our starting DE in the new 3-4.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedskinsFan01 View Post
    We really just did not want to give you guys that draft pick lol. By the way, have any of you rams fans been watching the skins at all this pre-season? Adam Carriker has been our starting DE in the new 3-4.
    DE in a 3-4 is where AC belongs and is EXACTLY what a lot of people have been saying for a long time. No surprises there and I personally wish AC all the best. He was hit by the injury bug here and needed new scenery and better utilization. ANYHOW....this thread has been hijacked and I joined in...sorry
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    So can I just go out on a limb here and point out how funny it would be if we signed Hall Davis
    Absolutely. That w o u l d be funny / outrageous!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast