RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams are treating grieving DLE Little with kid gloves

From Profootball Weekly;

St. Louis

If things weren’t somber enough around Rams Park lately with ailing head coach Mike Martz’s future suddenly so open to question, the emotional well-being of top pass rusher Leonard Little has also become a very serious concern. Little left the team Oct. 18, a day after his 24-year-old brother, Jermaine, was shot to death in Harriman, Tenn. Word is Little, who was extremely close to his brother, was emotionally devastated after getting the bad news, particularly since the tragedy occurred almost exactly seven years after Little killed a St. Louis County woman in a drunken-driving incident after celebrating his birthday.

With Martz’s blessings, the Rams’ coaches quickly decided to give Little all the time he needed to get over his brother’s death (Little was expected to return to St. Louis the day after the Rams’ game vs. Jacksonville and perhaps be ready for the team’s next game at Seattle on Nov. 13).

But we hear the team’s hierarchy, headed by team president John Shaw, was initially led to believe Little would be back for the Week Seven game vs. New Orleans and actually considered fining him for conduct detrimental to the team — yet another glaring example of the lack of front-office communication currently afflicting the team.

The way we hear it, given the increasingly bad blood between Martz and Zygmunt — who, interestingly, has been working on a month-to-month basis without a set contract since last season — the best bet is that there will ultimately be a negotiated contract settlement between the Rams and Martz, who could be an intriguing candidate for a number of anticipated head-coaching vacancies next season, provided he’s fully healthy.

One source close to the scene senses that Shaw *wouldn’t mind at all right about now if either Martz or Zygmunt would announce he was throwing in the towel. Yet, with Zygmunt having worked with Shaw for more than 20 years, it’s much more likely that Martz, who has also been at odds for some time now with Rams GM Charley Armey, would split the scene.

However, Zygmunt’s sudden full-blown return to the scene — observers at the Rams-Saints game said he seemed to be peering over Fairchild’s shoulder the entire game — is casting an increasingly embarrassing light on the Rams in the eyes of many, as the team’s obvious front-office dysfunction becomes more openly apparent.

There is also a school of thought that the perpetually stubborn Martz might resist a contract settlement, try to come back with guns blazing in a “lame-duck” situation and just let the chips fall where they may next season, even though it might prove hazardous to his health.

In St. Louis, stranger things have already happened.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Rams are treating grieving DLE Little with kid gloves

come back with guns blazing
    That what I want too hear, give them hell Martz!!!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Word is Little, who was extremely close to his brother, was emotionally devastated after getting the bad news, particularly since the tragedy occurred almost exactly seven years after Little killed a St. Louis County woman in a drunken-driving incident after celebrating his birthday.

Oh, puleease. I know someone whose mother had an incapacitating stroke; whose father didn't want to see his wife suffer after 50 years of marriage and went to the hospital and shot her dead, went home and waited for the police and when they came, confronted them with an unloaded weapon and was shot dead the same day. That someone returned to work because he was needed. Little can return to work too. I wonder if he grieved as much for the woman he killed?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Oh, puleease. I know someone whose mother had an incapacitating stroke; whose father didn't want to see his wife suffer after 50 years of marriage and went to the hospital and shot her dead, went home and waited for the police and when they came, confronted them with an unloaded weapon and was shot dead the same day. That someone returned to work because he was needed. Little can return to work too.
    Wow, that is some tough love Adarian. So you think that Little should be back in St Louis by now. I gave him a two game pass, but I think it is time for him to return. I'd like to see him in the Seattle game.

So this person that you know, that went right back to work, did they do a good job at their job? Or were they merely physically present? Some people do a good job of burying themselves in their work. Some people do not. I am not sure what good Little will be if his head is not in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

Yes, it would be nice to see LL starting Vs. Seahawks!

But I don't blame LL for missing up to now -- to me, it is not only a mourning issue ... I certainly wouldn't speculate on how much he grieved over the woman he killed versus how much over his young brother.

To me, it could also be a depression issue. And if it were a severe case, the Rams must be ready to consider No. 91 as dysfunctional at LDE; consider him practically out for the rest of the season.

Obviously, different athletes handle such events differently.

But again, hopefully he just needed more time than usual and may be ready to return after the bye.

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    So you think that Little should be back in St Louis by now.
    Pucking A. It's football. No one respects a candy ass in this sport. Team's short-handed. All hands on deck. When you think you don't have anymore to give that's when you've got to get up and go once more.

So this person that you know, that went right back to work, did they do a good job at their job?
    If they didn't they shouldn't have been paid. Of course people are different, but a vivid example to me was Favre. His old man passed away. Not only did Brett come out to play, but I'd submit his receivers played an inspired game fighting for those receptions that game. They saw a team mate sucking it up, not making excuses and they rose to the occasion.

If Little is that disabled he can take the rest of the year off as far as I'm concerned. We've won without him, lost with him. To state the obvious is pathetic - football is about pain, if you can't play with pain, you can't play.

rebel13 Guest

Send the bum packing. What's he gonna do, cry for his dead gangster brother the rest of his life?

sbramfan Guest

Might be a little more of a shock when your brother gets unexpectedly killed, as well as the anniversary of the day you killed someone by accident, as compared to your old man passing when you're almost 40 years old.

I'm fine with Little taking some time, as long as he gets his ass back here for the Seattle game. They're gonna need him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

According to Howard Balzer, Little's brother was killed in a dispute over $500. He asked Leonard for the money, but Leonard refused, telling his brother he had to take responsibility and not ask him for money all the time. Obviously that's something Little is going to feel guilty about, because his brother might be alive had he given him the money.

I don't know how long is sufficient, nor do I think there's some set of rules on how long a person is allowed to grieve. However, I hope he's back for the Seattle game.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

adarian, this has nothing to do with Favre or any of your opinions it is about Little and how he grieves about the situation. Don't waste our time with your feelings about death because only Leonard Little can explain how he feels right now. When he wants to return he will.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

He does have a contract to honor even if he has personal issues to deal with. I would think he should be there, be open with his communications, and let the FO decide whether he will play or not.

I did not know that little detail about the $500. That does make it more difficult, but Leonard should know that you can't continue to enable people. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. It's tricky though, because most people like to blame themselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by GOATBoy
    Don't waste our time ...
    Tell you what, let's make a deal based on facts. You drop dead and I'll stop wasting your time.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Wednesday Afternoon / November 2, 2005

Nick Waggoner

-- DE Leonard Little is back in town officially and met with coaches Tuesday night. I'm happy to see him back. This was obviously a difficult situation for him as it would be for any of us. He is expected to be ready to go at Seattle on Nov. 13.
    :angryram: Best wishes, big guy. Welcome back.