Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AtlantaRamFan
  • 1 Post By chucknbob

Thread: Rams Tried Trading Jackson

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Rams Tried Trading Jackson

Last year the Rams offered Steven Jackson to the Packers.

"St. Louis tried trading running back Steven Jackson to the Packers last year for a seventh-round draft choice, but Thompson didn't want to assume his contract."

Position-by-position: Running backs - Packers' rookie RBs expected to carry the load

Interesting to think that SJ was only worth a 7th rounder, not even (due to his contract). I thought we'd be able to get a 3rd/4th for him at least. I guess this goes to show how badly Fisher wants a committee approach, and I approve of one. Not even Adrian Peterson is great at all parts of the game. For most of his career he did not play 3rd downs (Chester Taylor and Toby Gerhart did) because he is not a good receiver and wasn't a great blocker/blitz pickup back either. You have a few guys who all excel in different areas so why not use them accordingly?

Stacy is a tough and thick in between the tackles runner, he's a goal-line back and probably someone out there on 3rd downs. DRich is a talented runner with juice who is well rounded; a guy you want to give the ball in space. Pead is the best receiving back and most explosive runner. Ganaway is a pure bruiser. Use them and make them successful in the way that you use them.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Tried Trading Jackson

Well, we knew at the time of the trade deadline last year that Jackson was available for trade and the Packers were one of the most frequently mentioned team, so this doesn't come as a surprise or a huge revelation. That the Rams couldn't even get a seventh rounder in return for Jackson confirmed what many of us speculated at the time: Jackson's salary, 2013 free agent status, and age would make it tough for another team to pull the trigger on the deal.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Considering that a 7th round pick is virtually nothing, I wonder Green Bay regrets not trading for Jackson since:

1. In the NFC Championship Game, they were leading at half-time, and

2. Their top rusher in the game had 11 carries.

Hindsight is always 20-20, but I think everyone knew they could have used an established RB, and we all know what Jackson can do. Would have liked to see him play on that stage, and I think it really came back to bite GB in the playoffs.
    live4ramin likes this.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Interesting to think that SJ was only worth a 7th rounder, not even (due to his contract). I thought we'd be able to get a 3rd/4th for him at least.
    It appears that he's worth LESS then a 7th rounder since nobody took the trade. My opinion is that it was the price of his contract that made it unappealing, not his talent/age.
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Deleted post - wrong thread. Sorry!
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-21-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by chucknbob View Post
    It appears that he's worth LESS then a 7th rounder since nobody took the trade. My opinion is that it was the price of his contract that made it unappealing, not his talent/age.
    You're right. It's just strange to me. As someone else noted in this thread, the Packers are a team that year in and year out are a good contender for a superbowl (As long as Rodgers is ther). It's odd to me that they wouldn't take on the contract and try and go win another ring... Clearly SJ still has juice to him, and their running game was a huge liability, that was the missing piece (as well as a much better offensive line) to another superbowl for them.

THE DREAM TEAM

Yodude is offline Registered User

This was a no-brainer on the part of the Packers. Instead of a 30 year old back with a huge salary, they drafted Lacey and Franklin, both very good backs that will command a fraction of what they would have paid Jackson had they traded for him.

The Packers got the better end of this deal and they will not regret it.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Is the storyline that they wouldn't trade a 7th BEFORE the season or they wouldn't trade a 7th at the trade deadline?

I don't know the Packer's cap situation at that point. It is a very relevant consideration. He was receiving $7 million and who would the Packers have had to cut to generate the cap space without impacting the team in any other way?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Is the storyline that they wouldn't trade a 7th BEFORE the season or they wouldn't trade a 7th at the trade deadline?

I don't know the Packer's cap situation at that point. It is a very relevant consideration. He was receiving $7 million and who would the Packers have had to cut to generate the cap space without impacting the team in any other way?
    Not sure about either. But considering the fact that they just cut ILB Desmond Bishop who was injured all of last year they probably could have done that to try and create some cap space.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Not sure about either. But considering the fact that they just cut ILB Desmond Bishop who was injured all of last year they probably could have done that to try and create some cap space.
    He still would have counted against their cap since the Packers placed him on IR last August.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He still would have counted against their cap since the Packers placed him on IR last August.
    As long as the injury is football related, the team is responsible for their salary until healthy or a deal is reached. So yeah, he's not a factor.