throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams trim list to 3 candidates

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/15/2006

CHICAGO Miami offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron are among three finalists for the Rams' head-coaching job, league sources told the Post-Dispatch on Sunday night.

It's almost a certainty that Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera will be the third. The Bears were eliminated from the playoffs, 29-21, by Carolina on Sunday evening. It appears to be only a matter of logistics and scheduling to get Rivera in for a second interview this week.

The second round of interviews will take place quickly, and the Rams are expected to have the new coach in place by the end of the week. With Pittsburgh's upset victory Sunday over Indianapolis in the AFC divisional round, the Rams no longer are willing to wait on Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

So unless something unexpected happens in the second round of interviews, Linehan, Cameron or Rivera will succeed Mike Martz as head coach in St. Louis. Based on the first round of interviews, Linehan appears to be the front-runner, but Rivera isn't thought to be far behind, even though the Chicago defense had an off day against the Panthers, giving up 434 yards and 29 points.

The 434 yards allowed was a season high for the Bears, who finished first in the NFL in scoring defense and second in total defense during the regular season.

Obviously disappointed over the loss to the Panthers, Rivera said in the Bears' locker room afterward that he thought his initial interview with the Rams 10 days ago went well.

"I really enjoyed the conversation with Mr. (John) Shaw and Mr. (Jay) Zygmunt," Rivera said. "I'm just really happy for the opportunity, and if anything else comes about, it'd be great. ... I guess the only thing I can do is just wait and see what happens."

The feeling at Rams Park is that one bad day by the Chicago defense won't overshadow Rivera's overall body of work. Team management likes his intensity, leadership skills and potential for straightening out the sagging St. Louis defense.

Linehan caught the Rams' attention with his work as an offensive coordinator in Miami and previously the Minnesota Vikings. But his interview with the club was impressive in all facets, particularly regarding his ideas about what he would do defensively in St. Louis.

Cameron is something of a wild card. He was the last of seven candidates interviewed by the Rams, and wasn't thought to be on Shaw's original list.

talkstoangels61 Guest

Re: Rams trim list to 3 candidates

Whens the last time
    Miami has had a winning season?

serkicker32 Guest

this year which is better than us

coy bacon Guest

I've got to second Talk's question. What has Linehan got to show? Talk is cheap. How about some records like Rivera?

And, why the rush to pick a coach? How about they take their time to do it right. If they have to wait for Wisenhut, or whoever, why not wait?

Another dark harbinger on the horizon.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Hopes its Rivera , He's hard nose kinda coach and thats what we need ... I not sure how we are being looked at by the coaches ? ? from what Ive read shaw is asking (Q's) like " What would happen if the staff started fighting what you say and how would you handle it " Thats really not a (Q) that most coaches want to hear at this point after whats happened this year with the F.O. and Staff ... A long with that the new coach will not have has much freedom as Martz did ???? I dont know Iam just throwing out their for your thoughts ...

Truth is offline Registered User

Linehan did ok in Minnesota. Although he did benefit from having the Culpepper to Moss connection. He hasn't shown much in Miami.

I'd prefer Rivera of the three mentioned as finalists, and a good OC. We really need some concentration on our pitiful defensive unit. However, knowing our FO, they'll probably come out of left field with some unheard of guy, from some podunk college that few have heard of.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

sbramfan Guest

Linehan was only in Miami for 1 year, so you can't look at Maimi's histroy as any indication.

I know that Saban is close to Belichick and tried to work in more 3-4 sets in Miami, like the Pats do...

I'm hoping that Linehan was paying attention while Saban was going over his defensive philosophies and will bring some of that over to the Rams, and maybe one of the coordinators that is familiar with Miami's or the Pats defense. Not necessarily to run the 3-4, but I personally would like to see this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth
    He hasn't shown much in Miami.
    The offense ranked 29th in 2004 before he was there, and ranked 14th in his first year. Not saying it's all him, but obviously he helped bring about an increase in production.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    The offense ranked 29th in 2004 before he was there, and ranked 14th in his first year. Not saying it's all him, but obviously he helped bring about an increase in production.
    You're absolutley right aboiut the rankings. However, there was much more going on in Miami to contribute to that 29th place rank than the OC. Linehan is ok. If he becomes our next HC I'll welcome him with open arms. However, I don't have the same strong feelings about him that you seem to have. Just my opinion.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

coy bacon Guest

So, is the answer to my question "Linehan did ok"? If so, then he doesn't have anything to show off. He has no record of accomplishments?

When I interview for a job, I'm expected to give concrete examples of my accomplishments. Whether it's compensating for electron traps, interfacing PN junctions, or working with a system that has a main bang of 120KW, I had better show them that I've been there and done it successfully.

My goodness, you want to hire a head coach who has no real record of accomplishment? LOL.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

As long as he has a solid defensive coordinator and a good all-around plan for the team, I'm fine wih Linehan. He's had success everywhere he's gone, just as Rivera has defensively, so the only real difference between the two in my mind is who they surround themselves with to execute this "plan" for the Rams - coaches and players, whether they are offensively or defensively oriented. Both are young and need to have a long-term plan ready if they want to have a future with the team and maintain both sides of the ball.

Some good bits on Scott Linehan...

Quote Originally Posted by miamidolphins.com
    Under Linehan, the Vikings’ offensive unit ranked No. 1 overall in the NFL in 2003, finishing fourth in both passing and rushing. They followed that up with a No. 4 overall ranking in 2004, as they boasted the No. 2 passing team in the league. Last year, quarterback Daunte Culpepper put together one of the greatest passing seasons of all-time, posting the fourthhighest passer rating (110.9) and fifth-most touchdown passes (39) in NFL single-season history. In his first NFL season in 2002, Linehan directed the No. 2-ranked offensive unit and the NFL’s leading rushing attack, one which averaged 156.7 yards per game and 5.3-yards per rush attempt. In fact, in Linehan’s three seasons as coordinator, Minnesota averaged 4.7- yards per rush attempt or better each year.

Before taking over the offensive unit with the Vikings, Linehan spent the previous 13 years as an assistant at the collegiate level. His final stop was as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Louisville from 1999-2001. During Linehan’s tenure there, the Cardinals went to three straight bowl games and became the first Conference USA team to capture back-toback league championships. Dave Ragone (2000-01) and Chris Redman, (1999) won the Conference Player of the Year Award in Linehan’s three seasons at the school. Both players became NFL draft choices. Linehan preceded that tenure with a five-year stint at the University of Washington, from 1994-98. He was the Huskies’ wide receivers coach for his first two seasons at the school, before also taking on the role of offensive coordinator for his final three years. In that capacity, he developed two more future NFL draft choices in quarterbacks Brock Huard and Marques Tuiasosopo.
    Quote Originally Posted by miamifootball365.com
    Yesterday, the St. Louis Rams were the second team to express interest in current Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. The day before, Linehan interviewed with the Houston Texans about their head coaching vacancy. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Oakland Raiders bring him in for an interview as well. Linehan’s downfield passing tendencies would mesh well with Al Davis’ philosophy and he would have the benefit of being reunited with Randy Moss.

So the question is, will the Miami Dolphins’ offense regress without Linehan manning the controls? He did a hell of a job molding Gus Frerotte, both in Minnesota and now here in Miami. He also successfully incorporated role players like Wes Welker into the offense. Most importantly, he was able to successfully balance our pass attack with our two headed running attack, so that teams were unable to simple stack up against the run.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -01-16-2006 at 08:22 PM.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Not only he ranked 14th, the QB was Gus Ferrotte, two RB, one rookie and one stoonie, only one acceptable WR.
    I think that with the Talent he had in Miami he did more than ok.
    We know what we are capable of doing in offense (just give the ball to MB and spread 80/81/83) the question is, what can he do with our defense, and who is going to be in charge of it

RamsFan16 Guest

With Linehan maybe he'll bring Chris Chambers

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth
    However, I don't have the same strong feelings about him that you seem to have.
    I don't have very strong feelings about him. I'm just clarifying your statement that he didn't show much. The stats seem to suggest otherwise. Even if he wasn't the primary reason for the turnaround, it's indisputable that he play some part in it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!