Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Trivia - Share What You Know

QB Jamie Martin, I believe, is the Ramplayer with the most jersey numbers: 8, 9, 11 and 12. I'm not sure if he also wore No. 10?

Can anyone verify the 10 jersey please?

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

This next trivia is a sad a shameful piece of Rams history:

In the fall of 1998, Little — his blood alcohol nearly twice the then-legal limit — ran a red light in St. Louis and slammed his Lincoln Navigator into a car driven by Susan Gutweiler, 47. The impact broke her neck and caused her lungs to collapse. She never regained consciousness and died the next day. Little pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to 90 nights in jail as part of a work-release program. He also completed 1,000 hours of community service and was placed on four years' probation.
    Personally, I am ashamed that he is with the Rams. For those of you that even think about getting behind the wheel after drinking, don't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Born: Elroy Leon Hirsch - June 17, 1923 - Wausau, Wisconsin ... Died: January 28, 2004
    Drafted: Elroy Hirsch was drafted fifth overall by the Los Angeles Rams in 1945. Years Played: 1946-1957 Position Played: Halfback End ... Played For: 1946-1948 Chicago Rockets (AAFC), 1949-1957 Los Angeles Rams College: Wisconsin, Michigan

Inducted into the Hall of Fame: 1968 Enshrinement Class: Cliff Battles, Art Donovan, Wayner Millner, Marion Motley, Charley Trippi, and Alex Wojciechowicz , Uniform Number: Hirsch wore No. 40 in college and No. 80 in the pros.

Best Season: His best season came in 1951 when he set an NFL record with 1,495 yards and 17 touchdowns on 66 receptions, helping the Rams to an NFL Championship ...

College Highlights:

• Won All-America Honors (1942, 1943)

• Lettered in four sports in one year at Michigan (1943-44)

• Led College All-Stars upset of Rams (1946)

NFL Career Totals:

Hirsch caught a total of 387 passes for 7,029 yards, an 18.2 average, and 60 touchdowns. He also rushed for 3 touchdowns, scored 1 on a punt return, and 1 on an interception return ... As a defensive player, he recorded five interceptions ... NFL Highlights:

• Helped revolutionize football as one of the first big-play receivers.

• Won an NFL Championship with the Rams (1951)

• Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (1968)

• Named to the NFL's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team (1969) Notables:

After retiring from football, Hirsch had a brief career in the movies. In 1953, he played himself in "Crazylegs, All American." He also went on to star in the movies "Unchained" in 1955 and "Zero Hour" in 1957. Hirsch also served as athletic director at the University of Wisconsin form 1969 to 1987
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -07-03-2006 at 11:39 PM.

1. Who was nicknamed "Scooter"?

Joe Scibelli
    Dick Bass ----
    Bill Simpson
    Rich Saul

2. Who was Nicknamed "Shack"?

Shaq O'Neil
    Bob Bruzinski
    Jim Youngblood
    James Harris ---

3. Who was Nicknamed "Stoneface"?

Bobby Wade
    Chuck Knox
    Charlie Cowan
    Bob Waterfield ---

4. Who was Named "Muley"?

Willie Ellison
    Jack Pardee
    Merlin Olsen ----
    Diron Talbert

5. Who was Named "Night Train"?

Dick Lane ---
    Ken Iman
    Ken Geddes
    Bob Brown

6. Who was nicknamed "Blade"?

Pat Thomas
    Dave Elmendorf
    Jim Everett ---
    Rod Perry

7. Who was nicknamed "Hacksaw"?

Kevin Greene
    Jack Reynolds ---
    Mike Barber
    Drew Hill

8. Who was Nicknamed "Herc"?

Jackie Slater
    Doug France
    Dennis Harrah ---
    Doug Smith

9. Who was nicknamed "Cappy"?

Ron Jessie
    John Cappelletti ---
    Harold Jackson
    Preston Dennard

10. Who was nicknamed "Dutchman"?

Roman Gabriel
    Norm Van Brocklin ---
    John Hadl
    Pat Haden
    Last edited by AlphaRam; -10-08-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post

3. Who was Nicknamed "Stoneface"?

5. Who was Named "Night Train"?

7. Who was nicknamed "Hacksaw"?

10. Who was nicknamed "Dutchman"?
    Bob Waterfield
    Dick Lane
    Jack Reynolds
    Norm Van Brocklin

doubleaa is offline Registered User

Here is the history of the Rams uniforms since they moved to Los Angeles in 1946:
    Note: Original 1937 Cleveland unis were red/black. In 1938 they switched to blue jerseys with yellow-gold helmets, then in 1945 to yellow-gold jerseys with blue shoulders and yellow-gold helmets.

Note: There are also numerous 1945-1950 publicity photos (including the 1945 team photo) where Rams are wearing plain blue jerseys with gold numerals--did they ever wear them in games??

1946: I am a bit confused about exactly what the 1946 uniform was... I have a 1946 game photo of Jim Benton (with other Rams in the background) vs the Bears wearing a plain gold jersey with blue numerals. I have also seen a (posed) December 1946 cover of Sport Magazine that has Tom Harmon wearing the 1945 jersey with the blue shoulders. The only reason I thought it was odd was Harmon was still in college in 1945, so the photo had to be taken in 1946. Also, I have never seen a 1946 game photo with the Rams wearing the 1945 jerseys. The jerseys were accompanied with white pants, narrow blue trim and yellow-gold leather helmets.

1947: Plain gold jersey with blue numerals, white pants with narrow blue trim, Dark blue leather helmets.

1948: Same as 1947, but 1st appearance of Rams Horn helmet (yellow-gold horns painted on dark blue leather helmet)

1949: Same as 1948, except leather helmets replaced by plastic Riddell helmet with serrated Rams horn which curved above ear hole.

1950-56: ‘Classic” uniform: gold jerseys with blue numerals, blue sleeve stripes, white pants with blue/gold trim, classic horn helmet with horns curving below ear hole, joined in front. Numerals on sleeve appeared in 1956.
    Note: If you ever see a photo with Rams players wearing clear lucite face masks, you can date it as 1954. These face masks were used in the NFL in '54 but then discontinued due to cracking problems.

1957: Home: blue jerseys with gold numerals and gold stripes on sleeve. White pants with blue/gold trim.
    Road: 1956 uniform.

1958-62: Home: Same as 1957. Road: white jerseys with blue numerals and sleeve stripes, white pants with blue/gold trim. 1962 road uniform had blue & gold shoulder stripes a'la UCLA instead of blue sleeve stripes.

(Note: the 1957-1958 change was really dictated by two factors: the NFL going to white road jerseys for TV purposes, and the fact that the Rams traditional gold jersey looked too close to white on black & white TV. Why the NFL didnt let them keep the gold jerseys at home and let the visiting teams wear their home colors I have no idea. All I know is that as a kid, I thought dumping the classic gold jerseys sucked, and I still do.)

1963-72: Home/Road: White jersey with blue numerals and blue shoulder stripe. White pants with blue trim. Blue helmet with white rams horn. Occasionally wore solid blue jerseys with white numerals and sleeve stripes on the road when home team wore white (e.g. Cowboy games.).

1973-1999: Home: Royal Blue jerseys with yellow-gold “horn” design on shoulder/arm. Yellow-gold pants with blue trim. Blue helmet with yellow-gold horns. Away: White jersey, blue trim & yellow-gold “horn” design. Only very slight trim changes during these years.

2000-: Home: Navy Blue jerseys with Notre Dame gold side trim. Solid gold pants. Navy blue helmet with Notre Dame gold horns. Away: White jersey with navy blue side trim and gold pants. Have experimented with both blue and white pants on occasion (yuck).

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

former Rams 5th Round draft pick in 1985 out of Auburn, Kevin Darwin Greene..
    is third on the all time sack list (since sacks became official stats) behind only Bruce Smith & Reggie White.
    he has the most sacks by a Linebacker with 160 (ahead of the likes of Lawrence Taylor & Derrick Thomas)
    he is tied for second place in most career safeties with 3.
    he ranks third in all time Fumble recoveries with a total of 26..of which he returned 3 for TD`s
    he once described his style of scrambling for FR`s as "a hog going after sweet potatoes in the mud"
    he is one of only 4 players to have lead the NFL in sacks in multiple seasons.
    he is one of only 3 players to have 10+ sack seasons for 10+ consecutive seasons.
    he also had 5 interceptions of which 1 was returned for a TD.

he spent the first 8 seasons of his 15 season NFL career with the Rams and once sacked Joe Montana 4.5 times in one game when he was a Ram and Montana was a Niner.

he was a semi-finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2007 & 2008...

Greene is currently Linebackers coach for the Green Bay Packers.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -10-08-2009 at 01:07 PM.

1. Who was nicknamed "Scooter"?

Joe Scibelli
    Dick Bass
    Bill Simpson
    Rich Saul
    A. That was Dick Bass, one tough, consistently good RB that played 10 years (his entire career) with the Rams, 1960-69.

Thanks again, AlphaRam, for this special thread. Great to have right now!

Till this day I remember sadly (although not nearly as depressed as when it occurred) ... the home game between the L.A. Rams Vs. Chicago Bears, Dec. 1968.

It took place during one of the Rams strongest eras ever, when Coach George Allen was at the helm from 1966-70: a 49 W - 17 L - 4 T record in a five year span of strength and success. Roman Gabriel was in his prime (NFL MVP 1969), the fabulous Fearsome were the terror and torment of each and every offense in the NFL as well as the AFL. Ahhh, and I was on Ramcloud 9.

1967, the only year in Rams history when they ended the regular season losing only one game, we came t-h-i-s close to going to SB II. Instead, Lombardi's Packers did. Biased aside, however, we were the better team that year: most points scored, fewest allowed -- that was a formidable football team!

Alright. 'Wait until next year'.

1968 was the year when the Rams were among the chosen few to win it all. Week 13, when we were at home waiting for the Bears in December, the Rams had, again, lost only one game and were almost bound for the playoffs. Chicago was not a very good team that year (they finished 7-7). ...I'm telling you, this time it was the Rams turn, not the Colts (of Baltimore) to go to big one Vs. the Jets and Broadway Joe in SB III!

But it was one of those surprinsingly tough, tough games when the Bears came to L.A. We lost a real heartbreaker that day, 17-16. From elated as a young Rams fan before this particular game, I became devasted and defeated along with every single Ram player and coach at the end of that afternoon.

That game the Rams were sustaining a very good / positive drive ending the 4th quarter to set up a winning FG. The scenario: the Rams had reached the Bears 32 yard line and had a good kicker in Bruce Gossett. This was a must win!

I saw the game on TV and ugh, it was unbelievable ... to see the end in such a shock.

Here's the trivia part. A very questionable penalty was called against the Rams, then came some incomplete passes and, suddenly, it was over! But wait, the officials played a critical part in this one as well...

On December 8, 1968, the Los Angeles Rams and the Chicago Bears were locked in a key National Football League game (the Rams were in a tight race with the Baltimore Colts for the division championship). Behind by 17-16 and with only seconds left, the Rams advanced towards the Bears goal line, hoping to get within field goal range. On first down, the Ram quaterback, Roman Gabriel, threw an incomplete pass, but because a Ram player was caught holding, the Rams were penalized back to the 47-yard line of the Bears. On the next three plays, Gabriel failed to complete a pass. With ten seconds remaining, referee Norm Schachter, along with his umpiring crew, turned the ball over to the Bears, who ran out the clock. But overlooked by the referees was a missed down for the Rams: The holding penalty assessed the Rams at the beginning of their last series of downs meant the Rams still had one more down coming to them.

When this lapse was discovered after the game, the National Football League fined the referees $250 to $1,650 for their mistake. But the score was left to stand and the Rams still lost, 17-16.
    -- The Blunder Book*, p. 184 (blue and bold mine).
    Sure, it wasn't only the refs mistake. Everyone on the Rams sideline should have caught it too, and the entire 100,000 fan-filled Coliseum for that matter! I myself should have made an urgent long distance phone call from Mexico straight to the L.A. police. "Please!...Something!! Someone!!!" Odds favored the Rams to make that FG that was never even allowed to attempt or, a final pass to the end zone. AAAARGH!

But it happened, we were gypped of a down, we lost a horrible heartbreaker, and with that the hopes of a championship.

* . -- Goldberg, M. Hirsh, The Blunder Book; 1984, Quill W. Morrow, publisher, New York.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-08-2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Icon

1. The Rams lost Super Bowl XIV to the Pittsburgh Steelers. What was the final score?

31-19
    31-17
    21-19
    21-17

2. The Rams were the team with the worst regular season won/lost record to make it to the Super Bowl during the 20th century.

True
    False

3. Which of these records belonged to Rams running back Eric Dickerson at the end of the 20th century?

neither of these
    both of these
    most yards rushing in one season
    most yards rushing by a rookie in one season

4. Which of these teams did Eric Dickerson never play for?

Indianapolis Colts
    Los Angeles Raiders
    Cleveland Browns
    Atlanta Falcons

5. The Rams had a different head coach for each of their first three Super Bowl appearances?

True
    False

6. During the 20th century, how many teams scored more points in a season, than the 526 the Rams put up in 1999?

7. Who set a Rams record in 1971 with 247 yards rushing in one game?

Lawrence McCutcheon
    Wendell Tyler
    Travis Williams
    Willie Ellison

8. On October 3, 1999, Rams wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim tied a team record with 4 touchdowns, in a 38-10 win over the Cincinnati Bengals. What Rams player duplicated the feat in the very next game?

Az-Zahir Hakim
    Torry Holt
    Isaac Bruce
    Marshall Faulk

9. Who was the Rams starting quarterback in Super Bowl XIV?

Pat Haden
    Vince Ferragamo
    Bob Lee
    Jeff Rutledge

10. What Ram set an NFL record with 18 pass receptions in one game?

Willie "Flipper" Anderson
    Isaac Bruce
    Tom Fears
    Elroy (Crazy Legs) Hirsch

2. The Rams were the team with the worst regular season won/lost record to make it to the Super Bowl during the 20th century.

True
    False
    A. True. Really enjoying this trivia thread!

Ha, I was going to go for more of your questions from post #154 but I see you've already indicated the answers there.

I'll hold off providing answers for the second quiz over the weekend....though I suspect you can answer all of them.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

The Rams have had the most olympian Gold medalists drafted with Ron Brown and Rod Milburn. Also playing for the Rams was olympic medal winner Ollie Matson,
    Barry Waller

rayzorram is offline Registered User

What people don't know is that Fred Gerhrke not only came up with the Rams horn design but he personally hand painted every players helmuts in his own garage. He played for the Utah Utes in 1939,Duriing the war as a technical illiustrator for Northrup Aircraft he helped design the "Black Widow night fighter and the new "Flying Ram"
    Last edited by rayzorram; -11-10-2009 at 10:08 PM.

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

the St Louis Rams got there name the rams, beacuse the owner at the time was a fan of the Fordham college football team and there schoolwas the rams