RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams turn back clock to the bad old days

By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/04/2006

Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome, the Rams went way back in time. In this foul and fetid atmosphere of losing, the dome felt like the middle 1990s, before The Greatest Show on Turf suddenly appeared on stage in 1999.

The days of whine and poses returned during a repugnant 34-20 loss to the Arizona Cardinals. It was all there: an appalling lack of effort from Rams players, bland coaching, general sloppiness, random confusion and a sleepy crowd.

But in many ways, this was worse than the rank football presented by head coach Rich Brooks in 1995-96, or the hideous first two seasons (1997-98) delivered under Dick Vermeil. No, the 2006 Rams

traveled further back into history, when the St. Louis football Cardinals lived here.

Wasn't Sunday's game reminiscent of the truly sad old days? Those football Cardinals were stocked by horrible draft picks, fading veterans and unprepared coaches. You just knew that most Sundays would deteriorate into chaos and cruelty. The STL Cardinals would not only lose, they'd embarrass themselves and the city.

And we saw a lost-boy reunion on Sunday, when the Rams gave up four sacks, threw three interceptions, accumulated 10 penalties for 126 yards and were flattened by AZ's Edgerrin James, who all but rode a chariot through Jim Haslett's defense for 115 yards rushing.

At 5-7, these Rams aren't even close to being the dull, disorganized messes that plagued fans here for many years, pre-1999. But no doubt about it, Sunday's loss carried that familiar odor. Imagine the joy Arizona owner Bill Bidwill felt Sunday as he watched his 2-9 losers go to 3-9 by transforming the St. Louis Rams into the same old sorry St. Louis Cardinals of yesteryear.

A few years ago, the Rams were the hottest and most glamorous franchise in the NFL. Their games were events. But the team is largely irrelevant now. There's no buzz. There's no noise at the dome. The players check in, play a game and go home. We don't look forward to the games.

Head coach Scott Linehan is a nice man, but he doesn't have much to say, and when he does, he expresses himself in a way that's so slight, so devoid of fire or personality, that you wonder how he can emotionally connect to his flat-lining players.

After Sunday's humiliation, Linehan talked about the need to eliminate turnovers (yawn) and cut down on penalties (yawn). It's the same thing every week, but the message is being ignored. Linehan has identified the most obvious problems, but so have fans and media. It's his job to get the bugs corrected.

Rams quarterback Marc Bulger tried to kick-start some adrenaline after Sunday's game by calling out unidentified teammates.

"Same old story all year," Bulger said. "I'm not perfect. I don't play perfect games. And I admit when I'm wrong. But I care. And I know there are some guys in here that don't care. It's obvious."

Bulger's timing was poor; he was part of the problem, tossing three interceptions and finishing with a 68.2 passer rating against the NFL's 30th-ranked defense.

Moreover, Bulger should name names instead of throwing everyone under the same wheels, leaving it up to fans and the media to guess the identity of slothful Rams.

Bulger should save the spark for the huddle or the sideline and confront teammates directly. Bulger isn't exactly a fireball of emotion out there; it's one of his weaknesses. The finger-pointing seems misplaced.

Bulger is trying, but his postgame vapors won't make up for the dull coaching and the hopelessly bizarre and ineffective front-office structure that's responsible for so many incompetent personnel decisions.

If Bulger is serious about calling people out, then he'll lose his voice, because it'll be a long list of names. Grab some lozenges, Marc. Start at the top of the organization and work your way down.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams turn back clock to the bad old days

Leave it to Bernie to miss the point.

Marc acknowledged that he's not perfect, but nobody questions the guy's effort or desire. Heck, you have to have effort and desire to stand back there when the opposition gets to use you as a tackling dummy every week.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

After Sunday's humiliation, Linehan talked about the need to eliminate turnovers (yawn) and cut down on penalties (yawn).
    Then BM writes a column that is so far off point, it's laughable (yawn).
    Moreover, Bulger should name names instead of throwing everyone under the same wheels, leaving it up to fans and the media to guess the identity of slothful Rams.
    Spoken like someone who has never played a team sport in his life.
    Bulger should save the spark for the huddle or the sideline and confront teammates directly. Bulger isn't exactly a fireball of emotion out there; it's one of his weaknesses. The finger-pointing seems misplaced.
    Weakness?!?! Don't buy into that. Plenty of QBs scream, yell, and act like idiots........yet their performance doesn't come anywhere near that of Bulger.
    Bulger is trying, but his postgame vapors won't make up for the dull coaching
    Weren't you complaining, just a year ago, about a coach who's playcalling wasn't dull enough?
    the hopelessly bizarre and ineffective front-office structure that's responsible for so many incompetent personnel decisions.
    The first smart thing you've said in a long time, Bernie. Congrats.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bruce4life is offline Registered User

As i believe dana stubblefield said in 1995 after the rams started 4-1 and lose to the niners 44-10.." Same ole' sorry Ass Rams"/.... we are back to those days

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/04/2006

Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome, the Rams went way back in time. In this foul and fetid atmosphere of losing, the dome felt like the middle 1990s, before The Greatest Show on Turf suddenly appeared on stage in 1999.

A few years ago, the Rams were the hottest and most glamorous franchise in the NFL. Their games were events. But the team is largely irrelevant now. There's no buzz. There's no noise at the dome. The players check in, play a game and go home. We don't look forward to the games.
    We had a great 3 year run, unfortunately all great things come to end. The Greatest Show On Turf came out of no where and surprised us all, including the so called experts. So, thanks for the memories.

I can't speak for the rest of you but I do and always will look forward to each and every Rams game. So Bernie stick that in your hat!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    We had a great 3 year run, unfortunately all great things come to end. The Greatest Show On Turf came out of no where and surprised us all, including the so called experts. So, thanks for the memories.

I can't speak for the rest of you but I do and always will look forward to each and every Rams game. So Bernie stick that in your hat!
    Same here, no matter what, even if we suck for the next 20 years, I'll always have this feeling of love for the Rams. It's hard to explain but you always feel weird when they play, almost like your first date with a hot girl your trying too hard to impress, all the jitter bugs, but every Sunday :P. I never feel that way for any other team, and never will. No matter what, I STILL love the Rams...even though we're pathetic

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams