Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rams Undrafted Free Agent Tracker

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    California FB Eric Stevens

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Undrafted Free Agent Tracker

I didn't watch the end as we were done early, but did Bacari Rambo and Tommy Bohannan get drafted?

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Bacari Rambo - 191 - Redskins
    Tommy Bohannan - 215 - Jets

gap

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Garrett Goebel, DT, Ohio State
    Don Unamba, CB, Southern Arkansas
    Jonathan Stewart, ILB, Texas A&M
    Ray-Ray Armstrong, SAF, Faulkner/Miami
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Ramhearder is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Garrett Goebel, DT, Ohio State
    Don Unamba, CB, Southern Arkansas
    Jonathan Stewart, ILB, Texas A&M
    Ray-Ray Armstrong, SAF, Faulkner/Miami
    Ray-Ray! Always mocked him to the Rams in the 7th.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Armstrong is intriguing. He was viewed as a top FS prospect 12 months ago.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

I was hoping we would grab Armstrong the moment the draft ended. Love his chances of making the team.
    Tampa_Ram and Ramhearder like this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    What's the down low with Ray Ray Armstrong!??

I've seen people on this board clamoring about him for months now, what makes him so special or good as a player if he wasn't drafted? Was there legal trouble he was in?
    lostsoul likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    What's the down low with Ray Ray Armstrong!??

I've seen people on this board clamoring about him for months now, what makes him so special or good as a player if he wasn't drafted? Was there legal trouble he was in?
    It was all NCAA issues. Nothing criminal.

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

WOO!!! to Ray Ray

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Ray Ray Armstrong

"If ever a player was ready to break out as a senior, it's Ray Ray Armstrong. But then again, Hurricanes' fans and coaches have been waiting for the senior safety to reach his potential since he arrived in Coral Gables as one of the top recruits out of the prep ranks four years ago.Armstrong's development was stunted by a suspension last season that lasted five games, which just happens to be the same number of career starts under his belt.
    Armstrong saw significant playing time as a true freshman with 21 tackles over 10 games, including one start. He started three games as a sophomore, recording a personal-best 79 tackles and tying for the team-lead in interceptions (3).
    Armstrong was expected to take another step forward as a junior, but he missed the first four games in 2011 because of improper dealings with a booster, followed by a one-game suspension for a violation of team rules. Once he returned to the team, Armstrong showed obvious rust and spent the rest of the season playing catch-up, finishing with just 34 tackles and one interception in seven games."

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Mackenzie Pantoja -
    "Miami strong safety Ray-Ray Armstrong is considered, by most draft gurus, to be a first or second round prospect in next year’s draft. But there is absolutely no way that anyone who has seen him play believes that he actually has a future in the NFL. I have never seen a player touted as a “future 1st round pick” who is as horrific as Armstrong is on film. And I saw Vontaze Burfict before his draft stock fell. Armstrong is a joke, and, if he actually gets drafted as high as everyone says he will (which I doubt), he will be a major bust in the NFL.

Armstrong has excellent physical tools. At 6’4, 215lbs, he has ideal size for a safety, and he has excellent speed for his size, with a 4.54 40 yard dash. He has excellent athleticism and his strength is also above average. Armstrong is an excellent physical specimen.
    Armstrong has poor stats. In 2011, he was one of many Hurricanes suspended for the Nevin Shapiro scandal, but he didn’t do much upon coming back. In 7 games, he only got 34 tackles, 1 interception, and 0.5 TFL’s. So why were his stats so bad? It didn’t help that he WASN’T A STARTER upon returning. He only started one game in 2011, the game against Duke, and the only reason he was a starter was because Miami ran a base 4-2-5 defense for that game only. I find it to be quite telling that Armstrong spent the entire season as a backup safety behind Vaughn Telemaque and JoJo Nicolas. Not to mention, he was also a backup before the suspension. In 2010, he only started 3 games, all of which Nicolas missed due to injury. I find it absolutely shocking that people think a player who wasn’t even a starter during his junior season will be a first round pick in next year’s draft. Ultimately, Armstrong has poor stats.
    I usually try to separate every aspect of a player’s game in my scouting reports into many different paragraphs, but, in Armstrong’s case, every aspect of his game his hurt by one thing: selfishness. In my 4 years of scouting, I’ve only been able to detect true selfishness on the field with one other player: Vontaze Burfict. By film alone, I can tell that Armstrong (like Burfict) is completely apathetic to winning; rather, he strives only to make his own stats look good. In coverage, he is an absolute nightmare. In cover 2, he isn’t even patient enough to stick with his assignment, considering he knows most passes aren’t thrown that deep. On most plays, he shows that he doesn’t care about allowing catches. He does whatever possible to make himself look good by going for interceptions that he has absolutely no chance of getting. Plays likethis pretty much sum up his game. He bites on the route, hoping to get an interception, Danny Coale cuts, and he commits a hard pass interference penalty to avoid giving up a touchdown. There is absolutely no reason imaginable to try to jump Coale’s route in that situation. Especially on 3d & 6. Thanks to that play, VT scored a touchdown on that drive and won the game by 3. Armstrong’s lack of discipline in coverage is truly deplorable. It’s one thing for a player to miss his assignment, and legitimately forget what he is supposed to do on a given play.What Armstrong does on a regular basis in coverage is beyond just missing assignments. He ignores assignments in an effort to help his own stats. I guess he misses assignments as well (#26, almost made the tackle before reaching the end zone, closest to Coale when he made the catch). Watch the film on virtually any 30+ yard play Miami’s defense allowed during the last 7 games of 2011, and it’s virtually always the fault of Ray-Ray Armstrong. It brings back memories of Burfict. Armstrong took the bait on virtually every play action run against the Miami defense during the 2010 and 2011 seasons (in an effort to improve his tackle numbers), and it frequently results in receivers being very wide open over the middle. He also has mediocre body control, typical of taller players, so he struggles with quicker receivers in man coverage.
    Against the run, Armstrong is still terrible. He puts effort on run plays, since he really likes to make his tackle stats look good, but his instincts are nothing short of horrendous and he uses terrible tackling fundamentals. I’ve never seen a player who takes such ridiculous angles to the ball (the safety that starts the play at the top right corner of your screen). To say his instincts are poor would be a gross understatement. He constantly bites on play actions, and he takes completely inexplicable angles to the ball. He makes some mistakes in his angles to the ball that seem like common sense. For example, there was one play against Virginia Tech in 2011. Armstrong started the play in the middle of the field, David Wilson ran to the weak side, and Brandon McGee was about a yard away from David Wilson’s outside shoulder. The common sense thing for Armstrong to do in that situation is stay inside in case Wilson runs inside to avoid McGee’s tackle. But Armstrong inexplicably ran right behind McGee, Wilson cut inside, and McGee missed the tackle in part because Armstrong literally hit McGee in his attempt to tackle Wilson. You can see the play here (Armstrong is #26, McGee is #21, they miss the tackle when Wilson is about 2 yards in front of the line of scrimmage). Beyond his horrible instincts, Armstrong also uses horrific tackling fundamentals. Like Burfict, he rarely makes an effort to actually wrap up on run plays. He always goes for the big hit, which yields highlights but lots of missed tackles. He also has some hip tightness, so he can be juked out by quicker backs. However, in spite of terrible tackling fundamentals, he is actually an average tackler due to brute strength alone. Overall, Armstrong is a poor run stopper.
    Armstrong has poor character. He was suspended for 4 games in 2011 for his part in the Nevin Shapiro scandal, and, as I said before, he is a selfish player. In football, it isn’t easy to identify a player as selfish based on film alone (unlike in basketball, where shot selection can make it easy). But Armstrong is clearly selfish. He ignores his assignments on many plays, which is absolutely inexcusable. Although he plays with excellent on field intensity, he clearly cares more about his own stats and highlights than wins.
    Ultimately, I think Armstrong is the most overrated prospect of next year’s draft. I refuse to believe that he will be drafted as high as many draft pundits say he will. Film, not past recruiting accolades or measurables like a 40 yard dash, tells the true story about a player. And Armstrong’s film is absolutely terrible."

After reading this i'm not sure what people are seeing in this guy. Maybe he can get his stuff together? i don't mind bringing him into camp but i don't understand why anyone would be excited for this.
    Last edited by lostsoul; -04-28-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Aussie Dave is online now Registered User

this Safety Cody Davis we picked up is interesting...
    "Davis clocked 40 times in the mid-4.4-second range and continued to pop with impressive measurements in the vertical (41.5 inches) and broad jumps (10-foot-3). Most impressively, Davis showed exceptional change-of-direction quickness in the pro-agility shuttle and three-cone drills as well as during his positional workout. Davis smoothly executed turns and transitions while displaying better-than-anticipated balance and body control for a guy his size (6-2, 203 pounds). He also showed outstanding ball skills.
    Davis will certainly garner strong consideration as a potential mid-round selection."
    lostsoul and citr92 like this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Armstrong is intriguing. He was viewed as a top FS prospect 12 months ago.
    Its amazing how a little over a year ago you had him as one of your potential first round picks and now hes signed as an undrafted free agent because of rule violations.

It goes to show that he really screwed up his future, but he also has the talent to maybe be something special.

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Per Jim Thomas the Rams have also signed:

CB Darren Woodard
    CB Robert Steeples
    LB Robbie Aldridge

Auburn LB Darren Bates will attend a mini-camp on a tryout basis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast