Found a scouting report on UDFAs:

Braden Brown

Height: 6-5.5
    Weight: 310
    40: 5.25
    Year: 5Sr

School: BYU
    Position: T
    Bio: Three-year starter used at both left and right tackle.

Positive: Well-sized offensive lineman who blocks with solid fundamentals. Bends his knees, plays with leverage, and makes good use of angles. Stays square, keeps defenders in front of him then seals opponents from the action. Explosive at the point, quick off the snap, and works through the whistle.

Negative: Lacks fluid footwork sliding off the edge. Must improve his balance. On the ground too much.

Analysis: Brown was a durable starter at BYU and showed flashes of next level ability since his sophomore campaign. He possesses both size, growth potential, and has starting possibilities if he continues to develop.

Phillip Steward

Height: 6-1
    Weight: 230
    40: 4.65
    Year: 4Sr

School: Houston
    Position: OLB
    Bio: Four-year starter awarded all-Conference honors as a senior after posting career-best numbers of 128 tackles/23 tackles for loss/12 sacks. Junior totals included 77/11/2 when he also intercepted six passes.

Positive: Undersized linebacker with an underrated game. Fast, effective in pursuit, and covers a lot of ground. Quickly changes direction, easily gets out to the flanks, and flows well to the play. Remains disciplined with assignments and plays smart football. Shows ability in coverage and is effective making plays in space.

Negative: Undersized and struggles getting through blocks. More of a drag-down than a wrap-up tackler.

Analysis: Stewart was a productive college linebacker effective in all areas of the game. He lacks classic size for the next level but could back up in a one gap defense if he produces on special teams.

Mike Gilliard

Height: 6-0.5
    Weight: 222
    40: 4.75
    Year: 4Sr

School: Georgia
    Position: OLB
    Bio: Senior totals included 55 tackles with two tackles for loss when he started seven games. Started 11 games as a junior posting 65/7/2.

Positive: Small, nimble linebacker who makes plays in every direction of the field. Fluid changing direction, moves well laterally, and shows speed chasing the action out to the flanks. Easily redirects to ballcarriers, flows well to the play, and gets depth on pass drops. Fires to the action and quick in every direction.

Negative: Undersized and easily taken from the play by blocks. Possesses average pursuit speed.

Analysis: Gilliard is a hard-charging linebacker who gets the most from his ability but lacks classic size and speed for the next level. He's a potential backup linebacker in a one-gap system and a prospect who must earn his wage on special teams.
    Last edited by TheBritishRam; -04-28-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Jockelite is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Undrafted Free Agent Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dave View Post
    this Safety Cody Davis we picked up is interesting...
    "Davis clocked 40 times in the mid-4.4-second range and continued to pop with impressive measurements in the vertical (41.5 inches) and broad jumps (10-foot-3). Most impressively, Davis showed exceptional change-of-direction quickness in the pro-agility shuttle and three-cone drills as well as during his positional workout. Davis smoothly executed turns and transitions while displaying better-than-anticipated balance and body control for a guy his size (6-2, 203 pounds). He also showed outstanding ball skills.
    Davis will certainly garner strong consideration as a potential mid-round selection."
    As a Red Raider fan, Cody Davis is certainly an interesting pickup. He has been a starter on Texas Tech's defense since his red shirt freshman year. His question mark is his coverage ability. However, He is very fast for his size and can comb the field very quickly.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jockelite View Post
    As a Red Raider fan, Cody Davis is certainly an interesting pickup. He has been a starter on Texas Tech's defense since his red shirt freshman year. His question mark is his coverage ability. However, He is very fast for his size and can comb the field very quickly.
    Not to mention, he hits like a young John Lynch.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

As an Aggie, I love the Jonathan Stewart signing.

The Cody Davis and Ray Ray Armstrong signings are very intriguing. I hope one of them ends up being the starting FS because they both have good potential.

citr92 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dave View Post
    this Safety Cody Davis we picked up is interesting...
    "Davis clocked 40 times in the mid-4.4-second range and continued to pop with impressive measurements in the vertical (41.5 inches) and broad jumps (10-foot-3). Most impressively, Davis showed exceptional change-of-direction quickness in the pro-agility shuttle and three-cone drills as well as during his positional workout. Davis smoothly executed turns and transitions while displaying better-than-anticipated balance and body control for a guy his size (6-2, 203 pounds). He also showed outstanding ball skills.
    Davis will certainly garner strong consideration as a potential mid-round selection."
    looking at him, i'm surprised he wasn't drafted, nose for the ball and the player with the ball
    also saw that he was able to defend tavon austin step for step
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hkbhUDhOY24
    Last edited by citr92; -04-28-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    Mackenzie Pantoja -
    "Miami strong safety Ray-Ray Armstrong is considered, by most draft gurus, to be a first or second round prospect in next yearís draft. But there is absolutely no way that anyone who has seen him play believes that he actually has a future in the NFL. I have never seen a player touted as a ďfuture 1st round pickĒ who is as horrific as Armstrong is on film. And I saw Vontaze Burfict before his draft stock fell. Armstrong is a joke, and, if he actually gets drafted as high as everyone says he will (which I doubt), he will be a major bust in the NFL.

Armstrong has excellent physical tools. At 6í4, 215lbs, he has ideal size for a safety, and he has excellent speed for his size, with a 4.54 40 yard dash. He has excellent athleticism and his strength is also above average. Armstrong is an excellent physical specimen.
    Armstrong has poor stats. In 2011, he was one of many Hurricanes suspended for the Nevin Shapiro scandal, but he didnít do much upon coming back. In 7 games, he only got 34 tackles, 1 interception, and 0.5 TFLís. So why were his stats so bad? It didnít help that he WASNíT A STARTER upon returning. He only started one game in 2011, the game against Duke, and the only reason he was a starter was because Miami ran a base 4-2-5 defense for that game only. I find it to be quite telling that Armstrong spent the entire season as a backup safety behind Vaughn Telemaque and JoJo Nicolas. Not to mention, he was also a backup before the suspension. In 2010, he only started 3 games, all of which Nicolas missed due to injury. I find it absolutely shocking that people think a player who wasnít even a starter during his junior season will be a first round pick in next yearís draft. Ultimately, Armstrong has poor stats.
    I usually try to separate every aspect of a playerís game in my scouting reports into many different paragraphs, but, in Armstrongís case, every aspect of his game his hurt by one thing: selfishness. In my 4 years of scouting, Iíve only been able to detect true selfishness on the field with one other player: Vontaze Burfict. By film alone, I can tell that Armstrong (like Burfict) is completely apathetic to winning; rather, he strives only to make his own stats look good. In coverage, he is an absolute nightmare. In cover 2, he isnít even patient enough to stick with his assignment, considering he knows most passes arenít thrown that deep. On most plays, he shows that he doesnít care about allowing catches. He does whatever possible to make himself look good by going for interceptions that he has absolutely no chance of getting. Plays likethis pretty much sum up his game. He bites on the route, hoping to get an interception, Danny Coale cuts, and he commits a hard pass interference penalty to avoid giving up a touchdown. There is absolutely no reason imaginable to try to jump Coaleís route in that situation. Especially on 3d & 6. Thanks to that play, VT scored a touchdown on that drive and won the game by 3. Armstrongís lack of discipline in coverage is truly deplorable. Itís one thing for a player to miss his assignment, and legitimately forget what he is supposed to do on a given play.What Armstrong does on a regular basis in coverage is beyond just missing assignments. He ignores assignments in an effort to help his own stats. I guess he misses assignments as well (#26, almost made the tackle before reaching the end zone, closest to Coale when he made the catch). Watch the film on virtually any 30+ yard play Miamiís defense allowed during the last 7 games of 2011, and itís virtually always the fault of Ray-Ray Armstrong. It brings back memories of Burfict. Armstrong took the bait on virtually every play action run against the Miami defense during the 2010 and 2011 seasons (in an effort to improve his tackle numbers), and it frequently results in receivers being very wide open over the middle. He also has mediocre body control, typical of taller players, so he struggles with quicker receivers in man coverage.
    Against the run, Armstrong is still terrible. He puts effort on run plays, since he really likes to make his tackle stats look good, but his instincts are nothing short of horrendous and he uses terrible tackling fundamentals. Iíve never seen a player who takes such ridiculous angles to the ball (the safety that starts the play at the top right corner of your screen). To say his instincts are poor would be a gross understatement. He constantly bites on play actions, and he takes completely inexplicable angles to the ball. He makes some mistakes in his angles to the ball that seem like common sense. For example, there was one play against Virginia Tech in 2011. Armstrong started the play in the middle of the field, David Wilson ran to the weak side, and Brandon McGee was about a yard away from David Wilsonís outside shoulder. The common sense thing for Armstrong to do in that situation is stay inside in case Wilson runs inside to avoid McGeeís tackle. But Armstrong inexplicably ran right behind McGee, Wilson cut inside, and McGee missed the tackle in part because Armstrong literally hit McGee in his attempt to tackle Wilson. You can see the play here (Armstrong is #26, McGee is #21, they miss the tackle when Wilson is about 2 yards in front of the line of scrimmage). Beyond his horrible instincts, Armstrong also uses horrific tackling fundamentals. Like Burfict, he rarely makes an effort to actually wrap up on run plays. He always goes for the big hit, which yields highlights but lots of missed tackles. He also has some hip tightness, so he can be juked out by quicker backs. However, in spite of terrible tackling fundamentals, he is actually an average tackler due to brute strength alone. Overall, Armstrong is a poor run stopper.
    Armstrong has poor character. He was suspended for 4 games in 2011 for his part in the Nevin Shapiro scandal, and, as I said before, he is a selfish player. In football, it isnít easy to identify a player as selfish based on film alone (unlike in basketball, where shot selection can make it easy). But Armstrong is clearly selfish. He ignores his assignments on many plays, which is absolutely inexcusable. Although he plays with excellent on field intensity, he clearly cares more about his own stats and highlights than wins.
    Ultimately, I think Armstrong is the most overrated prospect of next yearís draft. I refuse to believe that he will be drafted as high as many draft pundits say he will. Film, not past recruiting accolades or measurables like a 40 yard dash, tells the true story about a player. And Armstrongís film is absolutely terrible."

After reading this i'm not sure what people are seeing in this guy. Maybe he can get his stuff together? i don't mind bringing him into camp but i don't understand why anyone would be excited for this.
    It could also be just one man's opinion.

Whatever the case, if he's as bad as the writer says he is, it won't be hard for Fisher and company to figure out relatively quickly.
    Ramblin` Ram and lostsoul like this.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    It could also be just one man's opinion.

Whatever the case, if he's as bad as the writer says he is, it won't be hard for Fisher and company to figure out relatively quickly.
    The guy couldn't have been more wrong about Vontaze Burfict so that makes me optimistic. I'm also never going to quesiton someone's character just because they broke some of the stupid rules in the ridiculous NCAA system.
    Rambos and lostsoul like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    also saw that he was able to defend tavon austin step for step
    Cody Davis vs West Virginia (2012) - YouTube
    He didn't. For example, Austin blew right by him for a deep reception at the 1:00 mark.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

i see we've also picked up Auburn WR Emory Blake, son of QB Jeff.

citr92 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He didn't. For example, Austin blew right by him for a deep reception at the 1:00 mark.
    1. wasn't covering him
    2. i didn't say EVERY time...

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Ray Ray Armstrong and Cody Davis should both make the team. We're not deep at both Safety positions. Cody Davis tracks down running backs pretty well, and Armstrong plays with a chip on his shoulder. I just hope it turns out to be T.J. who saves us on the "GO" routes.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    Ray Ray Armstrong and Cody Davis should both make the team. We're not deep at both Safety positions. Cody Davis tracks down running backs pretty well, and Armstrong plays with a chip on his shoulder. I just hope it turns out to be T.J. who saves us on the "GO" routes.
    Sosa reported yesterday that Les on ESPN said Ray Ray will be making a switch to OLB. Les was on the fast lane when he made this comment. It's going to be interesting.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Sosa reported yesterday that Les on ESPN said Ray Ray will be making a switch to OLB. Les was on the fast lane when he made this comment. It's going to be interesting.
    Gotcha. I'm not sure what to think about that move. He has the natural aggressive style to play LB with the height and weight. I just feel he would need to use that agility to get around an offensive lineman. Maybe they'll use Armstrong's progression in camp to compare Olgetree's inconsistency in shedding blocks.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    1. wasn't covering him
    2. i didn't say EVERY time...
    1. Actually, I believe he was. He bit on play action, and Austin went right by him. It's looks very obvious on the skycam replay afterwards that it was man coverage and Austin was Davis' man.

2. Well no, but you certainly didn't say SOME of the time, either. Really, I only see two instances where Davis is "the guy" on Austin: the one mentioned above where he got smoked, and the deep pass play before it around the 40-second mark where it looks as if Davis gets away with some uncalled defensive holding. What am I missing?

Not trying to trash the guy, I just don't see a guy who defended Austin step for step in that video. But he looks like he should at least be a capable competitor for a reserve safety spot. I like how he attacks the LOS and the ball carrier, and he looks decent when asked to defend the back half.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-30-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Editing after watching the whole video again
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123