Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Rams up for sale (RUMOR)

I just found this article :

Sources: Rams up for sale
    By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
    May 20, 2008

Michael Silver
    Yahoo! Sports

Though it hasn't been publicized in the wake of longtime owner Georgia Frontiere's death earlier this year, the St. Louis Rams are on the market, according to several NFL sources.

The possible sale of the franchise could have major ramifications, with a potential return of the team to Southern California hanging over any transaction. Adding intrigue to the situation: One of the prospective buyers who has had preliminary discussions with an intermediary about buying the Rams is Eddie DeBartolo, who owned the rival San Francisco ***** from 1977 to '98.

"I know that they are definitely in play," DeBartolo told Yahoo! Sports last week. "Georgia's kids (son Chip Rosenbloom and daughter Lucia Rodriguez) have decided to sell the team. I've talked to some people who are brokering things, and they've told me about the price and what the deal might entail."

Rams president John Shaw, who has been the de facto leader of the franchise since Frontiere moved the Rams from Anaheim to St. Louis in 1995, declined to comment on the team's potential sale.

While DeBartolo said he has only a "slight" interest in purchasing the Rams, who sources say are being shopped in the $850 million to $900 million range, he conceded that part of the deal's allure would be the possibility of filling the void in the L.A. market that has existed since the Rams and Raiders left town before the '95 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
    "Their lease (at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis) is up in 2012, and they would be a natural for that to happen," DeBartolo said of the Rams' return to L.A. under new ownership. "It would be something to look at, and it's interesting to see the numbers and everything. But it wouldn't be my first choice of a franchise if I chose to get back in."

DeBartolo, who lives in Tampa, would prefer to purchase the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He was part of a group that included Outback Steakhouse founder Chris Sullivan which approached Bucs owner Malcolm Glazer about buying the team seven years ago, but their interest was rebuffed.

Two years ago, in a story I wrote for Sports Illustrated, DeBartolo said he was intrigued by the prospect of purchasing the Raiders and relocating them to L.A. At the time two prominent NFL owners, including the Dallas Cowboys' Jerry Jones, said they believed DeBartolo would be approved should he attempt to return to the league – something that was in question after he became embroiled in a Louisiana gaming scandal a decade ago and ultimately pled guilty to a felony (not reporting an extortion attempt by the state's former governor, Edwin Edwards).

"I love the guy, and a lot of people in that room (at an NFL owners meeting) like him," one AFC owner said earlier this month. "I think he'd be approved."

Given the decline of the *****' fortunes since the popular and wildly successful owner's departure – and DeBartolo's acrimonious relationship with brother-in-law John York, who currently runs the franchise – the thought of him owning a reprised L.A. Rams ranks with the previously floated Raiders scenario as a ***** fan's worst nightmare. But DeBartolo, who has worked hard to repair his once-bitter relationship with sister Denise DeBartolo York, insists he's not motivated by any sort of revenge fantasy.

"Oh, (expletive), I'm past that," DeBartolo insisted. "I would only do it for the right reasons – business reasons. I don't know, the Rams, they were always my arch enemy. (St. Louis is) a good city. And, you know, we took care of the Rams pretty good when we owned the *****."

DeBartolo, 61, also says he is not as high on the Los Angeles market as he was two years ago.

"First of all, who's proven in L.A. that a damn team even works?" DeBartolo asked. "It didn't work for Al Davis, and he won a Super Bowl there. I think L.A. has yet to prove it wants to support a pro football team. And unless somebody does an awfully damn good survey and market-research study indicating otherwise, I'll be skeptical."

One high-ranking league source says the Jacksonville Jaguars are another team that might be sold and relocated to L.A. and that owner Wayne Weaver has solicited potential buyers in recent months. But DeBartolo discounted the possibility of purchasing the Jags, saying, "I think (he'll sell) every year, but it doesn't happen. I get the feeling that Wayne really wants a Super Bowl, and every year he keeps thinking, 'It's gonna be the year,' and he decides to keep them."

As for the Rams, an NFL owner familiar with the situation says at least two groups not involving DeBartolo have had discussions with those brokering the sale about a possible purchase. The owner said it appears unlikely that Stan Kroenke, a Rams minority owner, will try to buy out Frontiere's heirs and assume control of the franchise. To gain NFL approval, Kroenke would have to divest himself of his ownership interests in the NBA's Denver Nuggets and NHL's Colorado Avalanche because failing to do so would violate the NFL's cross-ownership policy (which does not allow someone with controlling ownership in an NFL franchise to own major pro sports teams who play in a different NFL city).

"It'll be interesting to see what happens," DeBartolo said.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -05-20-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Rams up for sale

Can someone loan me $900 mil? I dont want to see the Rams move to L.A. None of this might be true, but you never know. Let another team move there and not get any support.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

It's not on the NFL website. Until it is, I don't believe it. It doesn't make any sense with all that has been said and done of late by the current owners.

Plus, I don't consider Yahoo a good source of news.

jkramsfan Guest

I am not sure what to think of this,I understand everything has a price and if someone offered me 850 million for something I would have to consider it,but didn't good old Chip say he wasn't interested in selling the team and moving it out of St. louis ? Was he just blowing smoke up everybodys butt ?

It should also be noted this isn't on the Rams website either, and you'd think it would be if it were true.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

So Chip has had a change of feelings about keeping the team in the family. surprise surprise.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Interesting article but, for now, I'm going to put the "rumor" tag on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    It should also be noted this isn't on the Rams website either, and you'd think it would be if it were true.
    Why would it be? Most business sales are kept hush hush until someone leaks it to the media or real potential buyers are in place.

Re: Rams up for sale (RUMOR)

Most business sales don't have a fan base either.

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Well...crap. Many of you SoCal fans might get your wish after all.. Having said that, I'll remain a Ram fan until I take a dirt nap.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I don't buy it, seems more like Eddie just blowing smoke. I don't think the NFL wants this guy back.

Predictably, Eddie D. reversed his resignation and decided that notwithstanding his gambling/bribery connections, felony conviction and rumors of impropriety and insolvency.

jkramsfan Guest

and as we all know by now this business(Rams) doesn't give a rats a** about its fan base.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Missouri fans, don't give up on your ace in the hole....Stan Kroenke.

Exactly. So why piss off the fan base now? Why not wait until a sale is in place or the potential of a sale is real. With the Rams & this "rumor" they could be headed back to L.A., Why would you piss off all of St.Louis & lose all the fan support you have right now. Why not wait tell the time is right.
    Keep in mind this is still a business decision.

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Missouri fans, don't give up on your ace in the hole....Stan Kroenke.

Funny you should mention him:

The owner said it appears unlikely that Stan Kroenke, a Rams minority owner, will try to buy out Frontiere's heirs and assume control of the franchise. To gain NFL approval, Kroenke would have to divest himself of his ownership interests in the NBA's Denver Nuggets and NHL's Colorado Avalanche because failing to do so would violate the NFL's cross-ownership policy (which does not allow someone with controlling ownership in an NFL franchise to own major pro sports teams who play in a different NFL city)."

An assinine rule I like to add.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast