Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Rams upgrade needs defensively

As I started to post this thread, I thought it would be easier to mention areas where the Rams don't need to upgrade defensively: Witherspoon and Little. Everyone else has to either really step up or a major overhaul.....again....is in order.

Adeyanju had his moments but is anyone sold on him being an every down lineman opposite of Little? Glover should have just a quick fix and Kennedy just didn't live up to expectations.

Chillar for me is just too slow as an LB and right now the depth chart shows Coakley as our other OLB.......that is very Little Richard on Geico commercial scary.

The secondary had it's moments, and believe it or not I think Bartell may have stepped and earned a starting spot the way he finished. But let's be realistic....it's pretty much addition by subtraction.

This defense will not be solid enough for the Rams to move forward next year. A major overhaul of 2000 proportions is indeed in order.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams upgrade needs defensively

No doubt, TX. The Rams D has, for the most part, been achieving precisely that on the scorecard, a dismal D. Especially against the run.

I agree about Bartell making a name for himself in the secondary. Starter material. As for Chillar, I had higher expectations for him, even as MLB depth but not sure that he'll stay if the key element in the overhaul you mention will focus on speed.

Adeyanju. I'd like to see the Rams give him another year to, yes, STEP UP and prove his potential. Besides adding a quality player or players, everyone needs to STEP IT UP.

No doubt this is our primary agenda in order to be a serious contender -- starting with our own division. If Coach Linehan and Coach Haslett can achieve a couple of lofty goals or three here, why... "mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce!!! Woooooouuu!"

That would make for a nice Thanksgiving towards the end of November.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-13-2007 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Content, format

general counsel is offline Registered User

More important that anything in the substance of this thread is the warm welcome we give to our beloved brother Tx, the master of all things defensive, back from sabbatical. For those of you that were unaware, tx has been on an extended scouting trip at his home in the south of france, trotting the globe in search of personnel with sufficient size and speed to enable the squad to win the super bowl next year.

Ramming speed to the one and only tx, he is a man among men and we are excited in the extreme to have him once again preaching the gospel of defensive improvement as the key to our success.

general counsel

RealRam is offline Registered User

As mentioned in another thread, yes indeed: GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK TX!

And do bring on those new players to our Rams defense! Welcome NFL Europe! :r

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Thanks guys....it's good to be back. One question though....has utter been behaving herself?

lol

general counsel is offline Registered User

Tx, everyone is behaving about as well as can be expected given our 8-8 season and the fact that we had to sit out the playoffs despite our strong finish. Of course, mock draft predictions are running rampant, notwithstanding the fact that no one knows what will happen in free agency.

While there is a long list of differing opinions on what direction we should go in the draft and free agency, there is one thing we seem to all agree on: Sign marc bulger to a long term deal NOW.

Ramming speed to you and the world of neon lights

general counsel

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Thanks guys....it's good to be back. One question though....has utter been behaving herself?

lol
    No, she may need a spanking...

Welcome back bro!
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-13-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

First of all, welcome back Tx. This place has not been the same without your input and observations.

Obviously the defense as is will not get the job done in 2007 and needs to be upgraded, although I think we have a good core to work with. In addition to Little and Spoon, I would give a pass to Tinoisamoa and Brown who were solid until injuries slowed them down. I also think Hill and Bartell showed great promise and will be able to get the job done next year.

The DL is the key and has to be addressed in a big way or any other changes won't really matter. Putting guys in a position where they have to perform with no pass rush and no run stuffing at the point of attack is just asking for continued troubles.

snowbozo21 is offline Registered User

You are right tx, we need a pass rushing defensive that can also stop the run, we need a space eater in the middle and we need a big and fast LB. IF, we get those things done then we might have a chance of being decent next year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by snowbozo21 View Post
    You are right tx, we need a pass rushing defensive that can also stop the run, we need a space eater in the middle and we need a big and fast LB. IF, we get those things done then we might have a chance of being decent next year.
    We were decent last season. We will be more than decent in 2007. Take that to the bank.:r :l

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

I think more than anything we need a leader on the D side. The last time I remember this D having an identity was when London Flecther roam the middle and when he left Lovie came to town with the help of A. WIlliams created a swarming D. Last couple of years I have not heard or seen anyone take a leadership role. Can anyone tell me what philosophy this D has(?) I guess you can call it blitz, blitz, and then miss the QB.......

What kind of D do we have now and who is the leader of this D???????

Leadership, responsibility, team work, and everyone knowing what is expected of them.

You can have the best players but if they do not work togehter or understand what is required of them it will not matter.

Creating a system that plays to your players strength and hides it's weakness is what Lovie was a master at.

C'mon can we start playing some real D in St. Louis
    Last edited by CRAZYHORNS; -02-13-2007 at 11:46 AM.

keith m. klink Guest

hey TX, i'm kinda new to this site this year, but i have found that this is the best RAMS site i have found. the people on here are mature, thinkers, and use a lot of fact. as for you , these guy's say you are the defense guy, and in my book, defense has always ruled the world. so welcome back. and i hope to have many debates with you about our DEFENSE, or lack of it. just one note to all the guy's. i know we finished almost in dead last with our defense this year, but if it's looked at closely, i believe i remember reading a NFL stat that said, we were only 250-400 yards differance to the #17 ranked defense. our D- backfield( very young and coming on strong) was in the top 10-15, it's our run defense, so i don't understand some people wanting a new safety or CB in the first round or even the first day.i think 3 out of the first 4 should be d-line and a LB. i would really like a top receiver in the first 2 rounds. well enough talkin, welcome home TX family welcome home. KK

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The last time I remember this D having an identity was when London Flecther roam the middle
    Well, he is available. A little older than last we saw him, but coming off (one of, if not) the best season of his career.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

keith m. klink Guest

i wouldn't mind fletcher back on the rams, but coakley would have to go. that would be way too old of a lb corps to have both on the team, but i think fletcher is a better player and motivator, i was upset when he left the rams, the middle was never the same, and he was the force in the middle of buffalo, just look at his numbers, a total animal at 5' 9.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Looks like the Skins are taking a hard look at Fletcher.......

Lets get Fletcher and lose Dexter.

GO RAMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast