Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams upgrade needs defensively

If LONDON FLETCHER came back to the Rams....I would need a defibrilator to restart my heart. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the worst loss of personnel in the Rams recent history has been Fletch.

I know he's older and he probably had his best years at Buffalo, but name me one person on this defense with more heart.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    If LONDON FLETCHER came back to the Rams....I would need a defibrilator to restart my heart. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the worst loss of personnel in the Rams recent history has been Fletch.

I know he's older and he probably had his best years at Buffalo, but name me one person on this defense with more heart.
    Hawaii-5-O for one.

The reality is that Fletch is getting up there, he is small, which is a problem we already have on this D. We need a monster in the middle, be it a DT or MLB, that is the only way I see the D improving vs the run.

By the way, welcome back TX, I hope you made a stop in China to scout the super size beasts they are generating there.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RealRam is offline Registered User

We need a monster in the middle, be it a DT or MLB, that is the only way I see the D improving vs the run. --RAMMAN68
    The 5'-10" Fletcher will be 32 in May but still seems to be a leader in tackles as a solid MLB. I don't know, Ramman, he is in the same physical category / specimen as a Zach Thomas and even a Mike Singletary -- short in stature but tremendous in skills and heart. Hard nosed, rock hitting MLBs.

Fletcher is also a proven, enthusiastic leader. Should he play a couple more years as a Ram ... maybe he'd really help restore the spark AND productivity we need in the middle! Granted I would like to see the addition of a big DT/NT aas well. That or pouring some wake-up juice into Kennedy's belly.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    The 5'-10" Fletcher will be 32 in May but still seems to be a leader in tackles as a solid MLB. I don't know, Ramman, he is in the same physical category / specimen as a Zach Thomas and even a Mike Singletary -- short in stature but tremendous in skills and heart. Hard nosed, rock hitting MLBs.

Fletcher is also a proven, enthusiastic leader. Should he play a couple more years as a Ram ... maybe he'd really help restore the spark AND productivity we need in the middle! Granted I would like to see the addition of a big DT/NT aas well. That or pouring some wake-up juice into Kennedy's belly.
    I understand your thinking, but Haslett has stated that both he and Spoon like being in the middle. I can't see putting Fletch in the middle and having Spoon at the SLB spot with Pisa on the weak side. I say that IF the Rams sign a BIG BOY to fill the NT spot, and IF some of the bigger LB's in FA were out of reach, then I would make an offer to Fletch. The other question is would he want to come back to the RAMS?
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I think when you talk about Fletcher's size you have to remember that although he may be 5'10 tall he's also 245 pounds, which is a good size for a MLB. He's not tall, but he's damn solid. I'm more concerned with weight than height in a MLB, height may allow him to deflect more passes etc. (on the contrary it also makes it harder for him to play low in his pads), but weight allows him to have enough strength to shed blockers, clog the running lanes and land some big time hits. Fletcher's size is no concern to me at all, and that's even without accounting for his tremendous heart, the only concern I see is age. But even if he only stays with us for 2-3 years, if he drastically improves our run defense (and I think he would), why not go for it?

Oh and tx, you'd need to pass that defibrilator if we sign him, I'd be just as excited!
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -02-15-2007 at 08:34 PM.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    I think when you talk about Fletcher's size you have to remember that although he may be 5'10 tall he's also 245 pounds, which is a good size for a MLB. He's not tall, but he's damn solid. I'm more concerned with weight than height in a MLB, height may allow him to deflect more passes etc. (on the contrary it also makes it harder for him to play low in his pads), but weight allows him to have enough strength to shed blockers, clog the running lanes and land some big time hits. Fletcher's size is no concern to me at all, and that's even without accounting for his tremendous heart, the only concern I see is age. But even if he only stays with us for 2-3 years, if he drastically improves our run defense (and I think he would), why not go for it?

Oh and tx, you'd need to pass that defibrilator if we sign him, I'd be just as excited!
    The only knock that I've read/heard about Fletcher is he's lacking in the pass coverage dept..

bigredman is offline Registered User

Well, well....welcome back Tx....as far as spanking UtterBlitz....one....that bottom is way too cute to abuse...and secondly...whomever dares to try to spank her will quickly have their face introduced to the floor by a flurry (blitz if you will) of fists and spin kicks by the hell cat (but a lady) Renee. She may be precious, but she's wild, and one of my best friends in this world. (See, I didn't call you the "P" word).

While our defense could use some more attention, I believe the Rams MUST focus on the offensive line this year. If we had a halfway decent OL, Jackson would have rushed for the most yards this year, our passing game would have been much better, and keeping our offense on the field longer only helps the defense. I agree with CrazyHorns that our defense was lacking a "leader". I'm not sure that Fletcher is the answer for bringing that leadership at this point.

I would also like to see a new offensive coordinator brought in (a real one, not just a buddy), as well as a new special teams coach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Yo- Tx!

I'm thinking we could be due for.... hang on...
    Little
    5-0
    Spoon
    Chavous*
    Hill
    Bartell
    Brown
    Maybe even Atogwe
    Glover due to lack of FA and Draft class strength

3 New starters. Then an insurance policy for Atogwe to double as a future replacement for Chavous.

Would a New DT (a big one??) a new DE and a New OLB be too much to ask from one offseason?

Seriously... let's consider the prospects. There is one heck of a Free Agent DE class out there, and if Linehan puts his chickens in the " Anderson or Adams will fall to us" basket, i'll be mighty disgruntled. I would like to assume we'll see someone from the Charles Grant/Patrick Kerney ilk in the Horns next year.

I haven't guaged for any other specific Free Agent addition. Would be nice to see if something comes up in the way of a LB, though.
    Adaleus Thomas or (More Likely) Michael Lewis.

Which leaves us with a Big DT and a new OLB. and a Third round pick to round out day one of the draft. Amobi Okoye is a monster, but I still think he may be best suited as an UT, and he may well be gone by us. If we were to trade up, Alan Branch would be Ideal.

If not, Look at someone like Lawrence Timmons in round one.

Which moves us to round two. I am going to subscribe to the Nick theory here, in that I think Justin Harell would be a great addition, combine results may alter his draft position. In the way of a LB.... they all seem relatively small. So it's up to the draft scouts to make appropriate use of this pick.

I'm banking a high-rated safety falls a little. It seems to happen every year. Not Griffin, Landry or Nelson, but someone like Eric Weedle perhaps.

So i'll say....

Sign a DE... C. Grant
    Other additions?????
    Round 1... Lawrence Timmons (Maybe a reach. we could probably even trade back a little)
    Round 2... Justin Harell
    Round 3... A safety, or... I guess a reciever. :O
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -02-18-2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: jashibada

blood85 is offline Registered User

It starts with the Front four. If they can't control the line of scrimmage, we are going nowhere. With the exception of LL, they rest of them were just playing "musical Lineman". They were mediocre, at best.

Extremefajita is offline Registered User

I don't think the Rams need such a huge defensive overhaul to improve enough to win the division in 2007. Free agency alone can get them there. Upgrade NT (Vonnie Holiday), SLB (put Kawika Mitchell at MLB and let WW use his speed on the outside) and RDE (Charles Grant) and the Rams make the playoffs. If those three positions improve and there are no major setbacks elsewhere, I think 10+ wins are very attainable.

I have to disagree with BRM regarding the offensive line:

"If we had a halfway decent OL, Jackson would have rushed for the most yards this year, our passing game would have been much better..."

The O-line lost the best LT in the NFL and 3 other starters due to injuries at various times. Despite that, SJ led the NFL in yards from scrimmage and Bulger hit 4301-24-8. So when you say the passing game would have been much better, do you think it could have been 5000-32-5? Damn that would be sweet! Still, they played over their heads considering that only one of them started every game (the one that led the NFL in false start penalties). I mean really, if someone told you 4 of your starters would go down (and the one that didn't would have 14 false starts) but the line would still front the NFL yards-from-scrimmage leader, a Pro-Bowl producing QB and would run all over the team on the verge of breaking the 2000 Ravens rush-D record, you have to admit that shows some impressive resilience. I think the O-line has the potential to be one of the elite units in the league next year. Romberg and Setterstrom came out of nowhere in the second half and showed a ton of potential and heart. I see them as the line that shut the #1 rush-D in the NFL out of setting a new all-time record for fewest rush-yds per game in a season.
    Last edited by Extremefajita; -02-18-2007 at 11:57 PM.

denverram is offline Registered User

When Fletcher left the heart of the defense left with him. We need two primary thjings on D this offseason:

1. A leader who will not allow. A pl;ayer who does not accept getting his but kicked on third and lond with a running play. A player who will hold this currentgroup of mostly undertacheivers responsible. Fletch did that but he is not the only player out there who is capable.

2. We need some size in the middle. A DT who can push the pocket back into the QB's face and disrupt the running game. Everything else can be worked out with current personnel I beleive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12