Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams vs Browns thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ward is under no obligation to turn and look for the ball. My understanding is that face guarding is not currently a penalty in the NFL, as long as the defender does not also make contact.
    Hmm. If that's the case, Tye Hill would still be the Rams!

Seems like old times, eh Nick.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Hmm. If that's the case, Tye Hill would still be the Rams!

Seems like old times, eh Nick.
    Well, I think Tye Hill had more problems than just face guarding, but that's neither here nor there.

If the issue is the consistency in which penalties are called in the NFL, then I'm right there with you. But my understanding is that the current rules do not penalize for face guarding, and that appears to me to be the worst thing Ward did on this play.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ward is under no obligation to turn and look for the ball. My understanding is that face guarding is not currently a penalty in the NFL, as long as the defender does not also make contact. And IMO, any contact at that point was incidental due to the ball being underthrown.

I think the bigger issue rather than whether or not there was pass interference is how the 6'6" Onobun didn't go up and get that ball over the 5'10" Ward. I agree with rNemesis, that's a ball Onobun needs to go up and get when matched up with a smaller defender. Instead, he didn't, and Ward guarded him close (and well, IMO).
    Upon further review...lol...I have to agree on the first point. It looked , from the behind the EZ view, that Ward made enough contact to draw a flag but the opposite angle showed the contact to be incidental & it was Onobun's own momentum that made it look like he was pushed back. Not good technique by Ward, though. If that ball wasn't so underthrown, he would have had no chance to make a play on it other than by sheer luck of getting a blind hand in its path. Definitely of the J Wade/Tye Hill school of "Flail your arms & hope for a miracle" type defending.

I don't see how Fendi could have used his height to his advantage there. The ball hits Ward in the small of his back.

In the end, I think Sam has to take the blame for both missed shots in the EZ; too much air under the throw to Robinson & not enough on the Fendi play.

Great to see TEs getting open in the EZ,though. Null missed a wide open Hooma-whatsit later on,no?

Also would like to give a shout out to Carpenter for his INT. Not only did he have great position on that little inside slant & showed good hands but he was smart enough to go down after making the pick instead of trying to make a splashy play for himself. Nice situational awareness & team-first mentality,imo. Take note, James Butler, ie the INT that turned into a safety vs Detroit last year.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I think the PI could have gone either way, but a non-call was probably right. However, if that had been a veteran TE in there I think he would have drawn the call. It seems like all Fendi needed to do was stop his momentum and allow the defender to tackle him. Since the defender had his back to the ball it would have been a no-brainer.

And of course if Bradford had thrown a better ball we wouldn't have needed PI in the first place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12