Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

rams vs. chargers, the good, bad and ugly

Summary of the game today

The good
    -Other than kevin garrett at the very end, i didnt see anyone get hurt at all. Doesnt mean it didnt happen, but i didnt see it and they certainly didnt carry anyone off.
    -Given any time to throw, bulger looked very sharp. Nice td to holt
    -kevin curtis is a major weapon
    -steven jackson and faulk both looked fine
    -Nice throw by fitz to curtis for the td at the end
    -On defense, i thought four guys stood out as having good games. Ivy, Little, Claiborne and Groce. Terry Fair wasnt bad either and he was pretty good on the kickoff returns

The bad

-The first team defense didnt stop and the run and didnt get any pressure on brees. other than that, they looked fine. San Diego is a playoff caliber team, but it looked a lot like the atlanta playoff game out there and that is not a good sign at all. Lots of work to do.
    -Hodges was lousy again
    -Terrell wasnt terrible, but he made some real rookie mistakes. I thought tucker struggled again at right tackle. Sapai wasnt great either and neither was the second team line, which got pushed around.
    -The right side of the line was awful early on, bulger was under constant pressure. even before the 4th sack on the hail mary at the end of the half, he had already been sacked three times and it sure wasnt coming over the Big Man.
    -I thought hargrove was basically invisible. I didnt see him in the same area code of brees.

The Ugly

-The INT for a td at the end of the first half was a nice play by their guy, faulk got hit just as he caught it, still, he usually makes that catch. more bad luck than anything else that it turned into an int for a td.
    -The onside kick hit our guy in the hands and he dropped it. We also missed a chance at a fumble that we were on top of. This is ugly because this defense HAS to make plays when it has the chance. That is what we did in 2003 but didnt do last year.

Incomplete

Smoker. Field positon was terrible and there was no blocking of any kind. Fitz gets one play and he has all day to hit the wide open curtis for a td. who knows if smoker makes that throw.
    Alex Baron. Just didnt see enough and big jackie had nothing definitive to say on him.

Conclusion

No reason to overeact. However, we have a long way to go. Keep in mind tomlinson had i believe one carry and then called it a day. They ran for 130 yards in the first quarter and that is where we left off last year.

ramming speed to all,

general counsel

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Re: rams vs. chargers, the good, bad and ugly

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Summary of the game today

tomlinson had i believe one carry and then called it a day. They ran for 130 yards in the first quarter and that is where we left off last year.

One carry for 55 yards and a TD. Poor guy got pulled early. Run "D" looked like crap. For all 4 quarters. Again.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

A legit concern scidog, two things to keep in mind. First, san diego runs as well as any team in the nfl. Two, pickett didnt play. I agree with you 100%, the run defense was awful and is a major issue. Frankly, i am just as upset about our inability to get any pressure at all on brees.

Hargrove was on the HG wells plan. Truly the invisible man.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Scidog68
    One carry for 55 yards and a TD. Poor guy got pulled early. Run "D" looked like crap. For all 4 quarters. Again.
    Interesting stat - if you take away the two huge 55-yard runs, the Rams held the Chargers running offense to 32 carries for 105 yards, averaging only 3.28 yards per carry. Michael Turner had his huge run for 55 yards, but on his other seven carries, he gained only 12 yards.

So in my opinion, the run defense did not look like crap all day. If you take away those two huge plays, they actually played a decent game as a whole, I believe. The key is how to eliminate those big plays which, if you look back, were the same thing that plagued us in the Falcons game.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Decent is being pretty generous when you consider that we forced no turnovers and got no pressure on brees. I agree, it wasnt quite as bad as it looked, but it looked like nagasaki out there early in the game.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

KurtWarner2005MVP is offline Registered User

Wasn't Claiborne and Coakley sposed to fix the run d?

Claiborne made some nice plays and coakley made one nice tackle. Sure, they were both signed to help and they will, but linebackers cant "fix" the run d if the guys up front are getting blown off the ball and the o linemen can get a body of the linebackers. d lew, hargrove and kennedy got beat up early on and god only knows how bad it would have been if they left in tomlinson.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

If their 1's had been held like that I'd feel better. But their 2's and 3's ran well against us.

Hooah

Claiborne made some nice plays and coakley made one nice tackle. Sure, they were both signed to help and they will, but linebackers cant "fix" the run d if the guys up front are getting blown off the ball and the o linemen can get a body of the linebackers. d lew, hargrove and kennedy got beat up early on and god only knows how bad it would have been if they left in tomlinson.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    'Nuff said.

Hooah

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by KurtWarner2005MVP
    Wasn't Claiborne and Coakley sposed to fix the run d?
    Dave Wohlabaugh and Kyle Turley were acquired to fix the O-line in 2003 as well. They didn't start so hot - see Rams/Giants that season - but they grew together and played much better as the year went on.

Point being, it's a bit to early to question the role and effect that guys like Claiborne and Coakley are going to have on this team. We just finished our second PRESEASON game. Let's not go overboard.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams vs. Chargers, the good, bad and ugly.

'Let's not go overboard' is correct, Nick.
    No reason to overeact. -- GC
    Provided we learn from THIS game.

I also agree with the observations in that it really wasn't all that bad given the long gainer plays by San Diego. Still, we have much work to do with our defense.

Let's see what September has in store. :football:

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Dave Wohlabaugh and Kyle Turley were acquired to fix the O-line in 2003 as well. They didn't start so hot - see Rams/Giants that season - but they grew together and played much better as the year went on.

Point being, it's a bit to early to question the role and effect that guys like Claiborne and Coakley are going to have on this team. We just finished our second PRESEASON game. Let's not go overboard.
    I agree.Proof will be in the pudding.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I AM HEARING A LOT OF "IFS" OUT THERE,IF THEY DIDNT GET THOSE TO BIG RUNS WE WOULD HAVE DONE OK,BOTTOM LINE IS THEY DID GET THOSE RUNS AND WE ARE NO FURTHER ALONG THAN WE WERE LAST YEAR,SD IS A GOOD,NOT GREAT TEAM,LT IS ONE OF THE BEST,HE RAN 1 TIME,COULDNT STOP THE #2 and #3 GUYS. QUESTION-HOW ARE YOU GOING TO STOP THE D-LINE FROM GETTING BLOWN OF THE BALL ?HOW ABOUT A PASS RUSH ? I DONT LIKE WHAT I AM SEEING WITH ONLY A FEW WEEKS TO GO BEFORE THEY COUNT.

KurtWarner2005MVP is offline Registered User

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Ok, that seems fair. But I've been told all offseason that Kennedy was going to prove to be the real deal this year. I hope he does. Maybe he just isn't a preseason player. Hargrove though is going to be a stud, plain and simple. We wouldn't let Fisher walk if he weren't.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Personally, I'm tired of reading reports in the Hometown (STL) newspapers about how talented our DEF lineman are and how they're ready for a breakout year, or how good the coaches feel about them. And how they've really hit the weight room this year or if the injuries are behind them.. They're feel good articles that don't do crap for you on the Field. ON-THE-FIELD is all that matters.

Little is Great, other than that these guys have done nothing. We have so many number 1s and none have really produced. It's time for Kennedy to step up or are we going to wait and watch him played poorly for 5 years (like Damione Lewis) and then still keep him?

Hargrove - Potential is worthless is it's not attained. Sit him down if he doesn't produce in games and play the run better. Of course he's a good athlete.. We want tackles, sacks and hurries and he sorely lacks in that Department.

D. Lewis - should be cut, plain and simple (or possibly be moved to DE). He can't play the run inside and he generates zero pass from inside. Move him to DE or get rid of him, his potential and his salary.

Ryan Pickett - has had plenty of playing time and NFL Experience. There's no excuse for not producing. He had one good year and then regressed. He's another number 1 that has not lived up to expectations. He's not young, not inexperienced, - He needs to show up big THIS YEAR.

Jimmy Kennedy - Injury prone, offended by cursing coaches, likes to set his own pace.
    He is younger and more inexperienced than the others and should get chances. He may blossom this year and become the destructive force the Ram's envisioned when they drafted him, OR he may simply be another body on a DEF that sucks against the run and be counted on to give up big runs. Kennedy should get a two-year (this year and next) timetable and it should be communicated to him. If you don't play like the 11th player taken in the draft and live up to your FAT contract in the next two years, you'll be cut and your stuff will be mailed to you.

Leonard Little is worth more than all our DEF Linemen throw together.. Little was drafted in the 3rd round. I can't help but think that Damione Lewis, Jimmy Kennedy, and Ryan Pickett (all first round draft picks) have been living fat and pampered lives, and if these guys would have to fight for roster spots and to sit until they improve - one or two might step up as quality NFL players.

Hargrove - 1 sack last year
    D. Lewis - Less than 10 sacks in 4 years
    Pickett - 4 sacks in 4 years
    Kennedy - 0 sacks in 2 years, 14 tackles in 2 years.

Let's say these guys average 7 million a year.
    That's 28 MILLION a year for 4 sacks a year
    Total aggregate
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -08-21-2005 at 11:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast