Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Rams vs. Dolphins for Fisher's Services: The Tale of the Tape

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Rams vs. Dolphins for Fisher's Services: The Tale of the Tape

I, unlike certain reporters and Nick, have no inside information that would allow me to report on Jeff Fisher's mindset as he chooses his next team. That said, I think there are a number of factors that logic would dictate would be important to any head coach taking on a new job. Here is my breakdown of those factors:

1. Money
    The Dolphins have already reportedly given word that they won't be outbid. That said, if Stan Kroenke wants to pay top dollar, he certainly has the means to do so. It could come down to the structure of the deal (number of years, guaranteed money, etc.) rather than a simple gross figure. In that respect, it could be helpful that the Rams' Chief Operating Officer is the son of Fisher's agent. However, the clinching factor may be Florida's state income tax (none) vs. Missouri's (6% in the highest bracket).
    Advantage: Dolphins (slight)

2. Core Players
    Conventional wisdom would suggest that the presence of Sam Bradford (as opposed to Matt Moore) gives the Rams an advantage. Mike Silver has downplayed this, but I don't know if he is merely stating his own opinion. Beyond that, both teams have a handful of young players who show promise, but neither has an overwhelming core.
    Advantage: Rams (slight)

3. Roster Building Capital
    Both teams will have high draft choices, but the Rams have two true premium picks (#2, #33) in the upcoming draft. The Rams also are on schedule to have the most cap room in the NFL by 2013.
    Advantage: Rams

4. Tradition
    While the Dolphins have not made a Super Bowl since 1985, and have had few playoff appearances in recent years, they seem to have maintained a better reputation than the Rams as a "winning franchise." Unlike the Rams in St. Louis, the Dolphins are THE TEAM in South Florida (trust me, I lived there most of my life, there are more diehard Dolphin fans than Hurricane, Heat or Marlin fans). The Rams are a second-citizen in their own city to the baseball Cardinals, and have not been able to build a lasting tradition from the GSOT days.
    Advantage: Dolphins

5. Ownership/Power
    Both franchises would presumably give Fisher great power, and neither is likely to meddle in day-to-day affairs.
    Advantage: None

6. Location, Location, Location
    I have no idea what Fisher's preference is, but I can safely say that St. Louis and Miami are very different types of places. St. Louis is a typical Mid-West city, with the accompanying attitude and sensibilities. Miami is glitz and glamor, with a spotlight exceeded only by New York and Los Angeles. Fisher's history was in lower profile markets in Tennessee, but who knows? Maybe he wants the spotlight.
    Advantage: ???

In the end, I don't know which way this will go. Its definitely a close call.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Rams vs. Dolphins for Fisher's Services: The Tale of the Tape

Good assessment I would give number 5 to the Rams. I think Fisher would have some say in the GM hire and will have more power with the Rams.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-05-2012 at 12:30 PM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'm a little concerned, to be quite honest because I'd really like Fisher here. And I was more than a bit struck by the left-handed compliment given to Bradford (he likes him, but he doesn't LOVE him). I don't think him coming to St. Louis is the slam-dunk a number of people think it is. Although I think the Rams job is an attractive one, there are worse things in life than plying your trade in Miami.

I hope Kroenke knocks his socks off in today's interview with an offer Fisher can't possibly refuse to come to St. Louis.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I felt a little more confident about the situation, until I read this thread. This has got my heart fluttering a bit. Its a seriously close situation, it could go either way.? Location must play a big part in these decisions, also family ties. I get the feeling Fisher is definitely looking to go the long haul, so its critical.
    The other big factor to Fisher becoming coach, will be his relationship with Kroenke over the interview period. So if Fisher doesn't feel Kroenke then were in trouble. ???

Excellent thread by the way AV.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Where do people get the quote that Fisher only likes / doesn't love Bradford? If Fisher said it (everything I've seen is it's a rumor he said it) he in my mind is eliminated from consideration for being an idiot. Only an idiot makes that comment about someone else's QB let alone your own potential QB.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Where do people get the quote that Fisher only likes / doesn't love Bradford? If Fisher said it (everything I've seen is it's a rumor he said it) he in my mind is eliminated from consideration for being an idiot. Only an idiot makes that comment about someone else's QB let alone your own potential QB.
    Who knows not sure if you saw this...

Bernie Miklasz / St. Louis Post-Dispatch

ST, LOUIS — It’s been fun to sit back the last couple of days and watch the pursuit of coaching candidate Jeff Fisher. Virtually every NFL pundit between New York and California has installed the Rams as favorites to land Fisher.

Team Fisher surely is aware of this.

Wednesday we were treated to some new twists, seemingly designed to create leverage for Fisher. A story on Yahoo Sports, written by Fisher confidante Mike Silver, tried to reset the odds. It was reported that the Miami Dolphins [team stats] have the "upper hand" in the competition for Fisher.

The story even included a line about how Fisher wasn’t necessarily sold on the Rams’ Sam Bradford as a franchise quarterback. This dollop of speculation undoubtedly elevated the Bradford haters into a full state of arousal.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Where did you read that the Rams are scheduled to have the most cap space in 2013?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Mike Silver reported that the Rams were meeting with Fisher when Demoff said they hadn't even made contact with him yet to set up an interview. I don't trust anything the guy reports.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Mike Silver reported that the Rams were meeting with Fisher when Demoff said they hadn't even made contact with him yet to set up an interview. I don't trust anything the guy reports.
    Actually that was Peter King...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams also are on schedule to have the most cap room in the NFL by 2013
    God bless Kevin Demoff.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    Where did you read that the Rams are scheduled to have the most cap space in 2013?
    To be honest, I've read so many articles in the past couple of days that I can't recall which one reported this. I believe it was an ESPN article, but don't quote me on that.

UPDATE: I just an a Google News search with "Rams Cap 2013" and got several hits of articles making this claim. The Rams are projected to have $45M in cap room in 2013, according to several of the articles.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-05-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Of course, the cap thing kinda comes along because of Long and maybe Smith going off the books at the same time. You gotta chew about $8-10M of that down just for Long, assuming we're not complete idiots and let him get to FA.
    I believe!

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    5. Ownership/Power
    Both franchises would presumably give Fisher great power, and neither is likely to meddle in day-to-day affairs.
    Advantage: None
    Surely the advantage here, one assumes, would lie with the Rams. The Dophins have Ireland and/or Peterson at GM which Fisher would have to work with whereas with the Rams, if he signed this weekend, he'd get some say over the GM and their relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Of course, the cap thing kinda comes along because of Long and maybe Smith going off the books at the same time. You gotta chew about $8-10M of that down just for Long, assuming we're not complete idiots and let him get to FA.
    True, though I think most would agree that he is worth it (and a Jeff Fisher type player as well).

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Great list Av.. I really think #1 and #5 are the keys to Fishers decision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast