Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Rams vs. Dolphins for Fisher's Services: The Tale of the Tape

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams vs. Dolphins for Fisher's Services: The Tale of the Tape

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Surely the advantage here, one assumes, would lie with the Rams. The Dophins have Ireland and/or Peterson at GM which Fisher would have to work with whereas with the Rams, if he signed this weekend, he'd get some say over the GM and their relationship.
    That's a fair point, though I suspect the Dolphins are making big promises to him about his role.

Harry S. Truman Guest

Stephen Moss is a moron... Of the highest form. While he's not Daniel Snyder meddlesome, the guy wouldn't know how to run a football team if his life depended on it, and basically the Dolphins are his way of getting to rub shoulders with Gloria Estefan and Fergie. Call him the dork who fell across a boatload of cash and wanted to buy an expensive car to get the girls... There, you have Steve Ross in a nutshell.

I'd like to believe after working for Bud Adams, a true football man all these years, Fisher would want to work for someone like Stan, who knows the intricacies of building a successful sports franchise.

Of course, I could be wrong.. Have been plenty of times before.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman View Post
    Yeah... like that time you thought Dewey beat you in the election!
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Actually that was Peter King...
    Dolphins have upper hand in Fisher sweepstakes - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Silver said he'd interview with the Rams on Wednesday.
    Peter King said he'd interview sometime this week.

Two very different things.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -01-05-2012 at 04:09 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I just don't see how he could possible like Miami more, other than the weather. I mean, we have young cornerstones in place, an amazing up coming draft, and the most cap room in the NFL in 2 years. Its a perfect situation for Fisher to come into, bring some veterans and more prime players to add to our young core, have an awesome draft, and then strike in FA when we have tons of money and were basically guaranteed the playoffs.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

I'd like to believe after working for Bud Adams, a true football man all these years, Fisher would want to work for someone like Stan, who knows the intricacies of building a successful sports franchise.

Umm...I'm sure Jeff Fisher would like to call Bud Adams a lot of things, but "true football man" would definitely NOT be on the list.

From what I can gather Adams was more the Tennessee version of Bill Bidwell.... a cheap- azzed lousy owner who was clueless when it comes to running a successful football operation.

Plus it is well known that it was Adams that forced Vince Young on Fish and this was the beginning of the end of Fisher's time in Nashville.

I have little doubt that one of the criterion he is going to look at is organizational scheme, and how much say he is going to have in player personnel and the like. I believe his experience with Bidw...er..Adams has soured him on chintzy owners for good.

Hopefully, Mr. Fisher is duly impressed with Mr. Kroenke at their meeting today...

WHAT SAY YE?

Harry S. Truman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Yeah... like that time you thought Dewey beat you in the election!
    Correction my friend.

Tom thought he beat ME. I knew the citizens of these United States would vote for me to continue what Frank Roosevelt built up and I built on/expanded after he died.

Harry S. Truman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Umm...I'm sure Jeff Fisher would like to call Bud Adams a lot of things, but "true football man" would definitely NOT be on the list.

From what I can gather Adams was more the Tennessee version of Bill Bidwell.... a cheap- azzed lousy owner who was clueless when it comes to running a successful football operation.
    Cheap? I wouldn't necessarily say he was cheap. He certainly paid Steve McNair a healthy sum of cash and also took care of both Eddie George and Derrick Mason. That's more than Old Man Bidwill ever did.

Clueless? When you think clueless, you think Steve Ross, Dan Snyder.. While Adams has his flaws, and plenty of them, he wasn't completely inept in that manner.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Where do people get the quote that Fisher only likes / doesn't love Bradford?
    It wasn't a quote from Fisher, it was simply something Silver tweeted about Fisher's opinion (and for what it's worth, he also brought it up in the article you later linked to).

The exact tweet was, "Fisher doesn't care about having a stud qb immediately. This is not a short-term commitment. And he doesn't love bradford anyway... " Not meant to be taken as an exact quote but rather insight into the thought process.

Tony Softli characterized Silver as being "tied closely to Coach Fisher, he seems to have the heart beat on the story."

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I feel like if Fisher truly has hesitations about coaching here, whether it be location, the roster, the organization or whatever, then it is in our best interest not to try to persuade him to coach here with offering him more and more money.

Honestly, I'd rather have a coach who has no hesitations to coach here and would LOVE to be here.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Harry S. Truman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I feel like if Fisher truly has hesitations about coaching here, whether it be location, the roster, the organization or whatever, then it is in our best interest not to try to persuade him to coach here with offering him more and more money.

Honestly, I'd rather have a coach who has no hesitations to coach here and would LOVE to be here.
    Playing devil's advocate here, both Linehan and Spags loved being here.. Problem was, both fit the role of "good coordinator, not suited to be head coach" role.

To be fair, I'm right there with you, and want someone who has the burn to turn this team around and not someone who may or may not be using the team for bargaining power.. However, end of the day, I think if Fisher comes here, he'll love being part of this too.
    HUbison likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Playing devil's advocate here, both Linehan and Spags loved being here.. Problem was, both fit the role of "good coordinator, not suited to be head coach" role.
    I think it's worth wondering if veteran coaches who have been around the block just aren't going to be as enthusiastic or gung-ho about a job when compared to first-time head coaches. The vets have the ability to be picky, whereas the coordinators-turned-HC's are probably chomping at the bit for any job. Hesitations may not translate into uncertainty or lack of commitment as much as it is a guy who's been there done that just wanting to make sure he makes the best choice.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Fisher is a California kid so if weather is in the mix the Dolphins would have the edge. I think it will ultimately be a $$$ decision. Why? Because I'm cynical.

PS He was the defensive coordinator for the Rams in 1991 so if he wants to relive his past he'll choose the Rams.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    To be honest, I've read so many articles in the past couple of days that I can't recall which one reported this. I believe it was an ESPN article, but don't quote me on that.

UPDATE: I just an a Google News search with "Rams Cap 2013" and got several hits of articles making this claim. The Rams are projected to have $45M in cap room in 2013, according to several of the articles.
    Thanks Av. Ill check them out.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Fisher is a California kid so if weather is in the mix the Dolphins would have the edge. I think it will ultimately be a $$$ decision. Why? Because I'm cynical.

PS He was the defensive coordinator for the Rams in 1991 so if he wants to relive his past he'll choose the Rams.
    The fact Fisher is a Californian native, and with the Rams likely going back to L.A, just around the corner. ?? Im hoping it could give the Rams the advantage, in terms of being the better fit for Fisher personally.? Fisher has experienced what it is like to relocate from one place to another, as coach of Houston/Tenn. So it could make the Rams even more appealing to Fisher, and also give Kroenke more motivation, to get Fisher signed up.?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast