sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Rams vs Giants observations

I was furious at some points in the game, and ecstatic at others.

QB - Sam Bradford had the game of his life. The young gun went 22 for 46 for 331 yards and 1 touchdown. He was slinging the ball all over the field completing one big pass after another. The ONLY downside I seen at all was the redzone execution. We had settled for 4 field goals, when we should have had touchdowns.

RB - Basically invisible, Cadillac Williams and Jerious Norwood didn't do much of anything. Williams had some nice blitz pickups, but other than that it was mediocre running. The screen play was a critical mistake that killed us. He didn't use his brain and didn't even react, he has to make better decisions. Not that anybody expected a 200 yard game from him, but I think keeping the defense honest was enough on his part and ultimately kept us in the game.

WR, TE - What a game. Danario Alexander had several big catches and a beautiful leaping grab for a touchdown. He had 3 receptions, 122 yards, and 1 touchdown. He was a huge factor today and has proved that he deserves to be on that field stretching the defense. MSW also had a solid game. He would find holes in the zone coverages and would sit down. He also made some adjustments while Bradford was on the run. A solid day for him too. Gibson and Kendricks didn't have shabby days either. Salas dropped multiple passes and had several fumbles. He also made a couple of nice plays, though he could have played much better.

Offensive line - The offensive line didn't do a bad job in pass protection. Other than Justin Tuck applying some pressure they were pretty good. Some plays Bradford had all day to pass and got some nice big completions. The run blocking was not so good. Cadillac could not find any holes and had trouble getting anything on the ground only mustering 36 yards on 13 attempts.

Defensive line - An excellent outing for the entire defensive line. Not creating immense pressure, though applying enough and getting the Giants off the field forcing multiple 3 and outs. Plugged up the gaps very effectively and allowed the linebackers to come in and get hits on the running backs for the Giants. Robert Quinn recorded his first sack in the NFL and Chris Long nabbed his 2nd in as many games. James Hall also got his first sack on the season.

LB - A solid game for the linebacking corps as well. James Laurinaitis had the game of his life totaling 9 tackles, 5 assisted tackles, and constantly making defensive adjustments to set guys up to create big plays. Leber and Poppinga had nice games at that too. Jacobs, Bradshaw and Ware only had 119 yards on 34 carries.

Secondary - Magically, the whole Rams defense played spectacular, including the secondary. Quintin Mikell got an interception early to give the Rams the ball and get some confidence. Fletcher had an outstanding game nearly shutting out Hakeem Nicks. Justin King had his moments with some nice tackles and some slip ups in coverage. He got flagged a few times but I thought he bounced back fairly well. Al Harris also got burnt once for 30 yards by Mario Manningham. Mikell had an excellent day coming down in the box making great tackles and in coverage. Dahl had a nice day in run support too, but really struggled in pass coverage. He does not turn around to locate the ball while its in the air what so ever. It costed us a touchdown which Hixon caught.

ST - Great day for Josh Brown and Donnie Jones. Not a spectacular day returning kicks, but Porter (?) did a nice job bringing them out. Salas I think cost us that game with the huge fumble after the Giants second drive. A nice punt that dropped right into his hands, he lost focus, and the Giants recovered with amazing field position.

All in all I seen what I needed to see. Like I said, the Rams plethora of WR's would pay off this game. I am so excited to see what Bradford will accomplish this year. I haven't even mentioned that all of this was done without our best player and a top 3 RB in the NFL, Steven Jackson. DX has shown he deserves to be out there every game. I am excited to see how we perform against the Ravens in week 3.

LETS GO RAMS!!
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -09-20-2011 at 12:30 AM.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Rams vs Giants observations

Couldnt agree more. I am praying that DX can be that go to guy.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    QB - Sam Bradford had the game of his life. The young gun went 22 for 46 for 331 yards and 1 touchdown. He was slinging the ball all over the field completing one big pass after another. The ONLY downside I seen at all was the redzone execution. We had settled for 4 field goals, when we should have had touchdowns.
    One thing Bradford needs to do is know when to throw bullets or rainbows at the right time, some dropped passes were because his receivers were past their corners but he still decided to throw bullets that could've been picked off if they were a tad slower.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    One thing Bradford needs to do is know when to throw bullets or rainbows at the right time, some dropped passes were because his receivers were past their corners but he still decided to throw bullets that could've been picked off if they were a tad slower.
    Only one comes to mind. He had Alexander going down the sidelines and was in between Ross (below him) and Grant (Above him) which he zipped in there and was almost intercepted.

The one in the redzone that he slung to DX on the slant was tipped by Michael Boley. Nothing but a great play there by Boley.

JPPDPurQB is offline Registered User

Whoa!, you missed one GLARING observation. When he was in, the Brandon Stokely's package affect on the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BicRH18j2c

JPPD is right, how could I forget about the Stokley that had 0 catches, for 0 yards, and 0 touchdowns? Sorry, I'll pick my game up....

BOLORAM is offline Registered User

Punt Salas. Play Pettis.