Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rams vs Jags: Post-Game Thoughts I Need Your Help With

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams vs Jags: Post-Game Thoughts I Need Your Help With

I didn't get to watch the game, but I followed it on NFL.com and caught replays as they were provided. I'm looking forward to seeing it later this week, but in the meantime, correct me where I'm wrong with the following observations...

-Nice bounce-back performance by Bradford! Three TDs, no turnovers. 6.5 yards per pass attempt, a big improvement over the last two weeks. How'd he look while doing it?

-Zac Stacy, have the Rams found a starting running back? He and Richardson ended up having a similar workload in the end, but how did they compare? Different types of runs? Different styles? Is this a one-two punch that can be successful against defenses better than the Jags?

-Only two sacks allowed and an improvement in the run game; I imagine the offensive line deserves some credit for today's victory! How was the run blocking and protection?

-It's clear that Pettis is a guy Sam trusts, two touchdown catches this week and tied the team lead in receptions. It was great to see Quick get involved on offense. Kendricks outplaying Cook this week; good for Lance but what's going on with Cook? Has he just been negated with defensive focus?

-I feel bad for Tavon Austin and how many of his returns are called back due to penalty. Can't wait to see his 25 yard reception, but take that out, and his other two grabs combined for 7 yards. Let's find ways of getting him in space!

-Laurinaitis with a huge red zone interception! Long, Stewart, and Brockers all credited with forced fumbles. I think this is what our defense needed - our good players and defensive leaders making impact plays when we needed them the most. How about that pick six by Giordano! Great effort by him, but also on the rest of the unit for blocking.

-It wasn't always pretty, but the defense came to play today! Two INTs, 1 TD, 3 FF, MJD rushed for 3.1 per carry when you take out his big 20 yard gain.

-The obvious grain of salt that needs to be placed on top of this delicious meal is the quality of opponent, but this was a must win game that the Rams won. It could be a stepping stone going forward, if the Rams can keep this momentum and surprise a beatable Houston team.

Enjoy the win, Rams fans!
    RealRam and lostsoul like this.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams vs Jags: Post-Game Thoughts I Need Your Help With

Some people will look at a 14 point win and see an improving Rams squad that took it to the other team. Some will see a Rams team that got some gimmes from the worst team in the league and held on for the win. It's probably a little bit of both but a win is a win in this league.

Sam started off with a lot of short passes and check downs and it looked like we were in for another serving of what we saw last week but he played better as the game went on. He had a nice play action pass to Kendricks and a beautiful deep touch down pass to Pettis. It was nice to see him push the ball down the field.

Stacy ran the ball well imo. One cut and into the hole. He manages an extra yard just pushing guys before they gang up on him. I'd like to see him get more carries and the other guys used in special situations.

The blocking wasn't great early but they got their act together and were fairly solid the rest of the game. Still need to be stronger inside.

Quick is an amazing receiver when the DB falls down. Cook got into the action late but was invisible for most of the game. Hard to say why because the camera follows the ball and it's not going to Cook.

Hopefully the Rams can build on what they started here and carry that into the next game because the Texans should be a tougher opponent than the Jags.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

I would add that the Special Teams are a definite problem for this team. How many punt returns are going to be called back due to a penalty?

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GroundChuck View Post
    I would add that the Special Teams are a definite problem for this team. How many punt returns are going to be called back due to a penalty?
    Did Tavon get a TD called back? (Working today, wasn't able to watch)

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    Did Tavon get a TD called back? (Working today, wasn't able to watch)
    He had a long return called back. I don't recall it being a td but I could be mistaken.

We also had a punt blocked.
    Last edited by DE_Ramfan; -10-06-2013 at 05:34 PM.

punahou is offline Registered User

Granted we won; however im not impressed with the win.
    Bradford and Schottenheimer--

whoever it is, this passing game is terrible. Yes 3td all by pass. But again we see the typical dink/dunk passing game that fails to feature

Cook
    Austin
    Givens
    and any semblance of stretching the field.
    I think our leader receiver had 47? yards.....

Defense played OK. Some bright spots, but 20 points given up and another day where our pass defense wasn't that great.

Yes we won and Im glad. But it was against a team that ATM is similar to ours. Against better opponents I think we will have trouble.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    He had a long return called back. I don't recall it being a td but I could be mistaken.

We also had a punt blocked.
    No TD on the return but it would have put us in great field position. The blocked punt was the result of trying to be too cute with the trick play look.

Trevor is offline Registered User

I don't think the pass game was all dink and dunk. Bradford had some passes deep down the field. Dropped passes continue to be a problem. Bradford had a nice statistical game.

Tavon had about a 50 yard run get called back and he had a 20ish yard return called back.

I keep hearing that the Jags gave the Rams the game. I think the only "gimme" was the int thrown by gabbert. The fumble was a very nice strip by Darian Stewart. So when you say "gimme" it seems like fans are trying to discredit the defense. Gotta give credit for Gordiano for then nice run back.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GroundChuck View Post
    This has me so pissed off! How many flags does Ray Ray and Bates have to get in order to be removed from teams? I just don't get it, the same two guys keep getting calls and they still let them play. Why? You have a 13 million dollar returner being voided by two UDFA. Get a clue Bones!
    GroundChuck likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

-Nice bounce-back performance by Bradford! Three TDs, no turnovers. 6.5 yards per pass attempt, a big improvement over the last two weeks. How'd he look while doing it? -- Nick
    Excellent notes for us that, like yourself, were not able to watch the game.

Jags may currently be a debilitated team but they're still predators and can definitely spoil one's hunting adventure. Hopefully today's overall performance by the Rams will encourage them to keep at it, to renew efforts on all fronts.

Great to see a marked improvement today! Keep at it!!!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Granted we won; however im not impressed with the win.
    Bradford and Schottenheimer--

whoever it is, this passing game is terrible. Yes 3td all by pass. But again we see the typical dink/dunk passing game that fails to feature

Cook
    Austin
    Givens
    and any semblance of stretching the field.
    I think our leader receiver had 47? yards.....

Defense played OK. Some bright spots, but 20 points given up and another day where our pass defense wasn't that great.

Yes we won and Im glad. But it was against a team that ATM is similar to ours. Against better opponents I think we will have trouble.
    Saw a couple of shots thrown downfield only to have them incomplete. Bradford can throw a nice deep ball but he needs running backs to be effective for the play action to work.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

citr92 is offline Registered User

they don't have to be play action to go deeper

10-15 yard passes would be nice

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Very mixed emotions on this one. We did some nice things- the running game was better than its been and Sam had 3 TDs- but perspective must be maintained because it was against a team that could very well go
    1-15 or 0-16 this season. Another slow start. More special teams penalties. A blocked punt. Stagnant offense in the 3rd quarter. Probably would have been a loss against a better opponent.

This game was 27-20 in the 4th quarter. At home. Versus the worst team in football.

I'm happy for the win and it's nice the guys who went to the Bash can come home with smiles on their faces, but truth be told this might be our last win for awhile if some things don't get cleaned up.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I got to agree with NJ on this one. Very mixed emotions about this game. Very glad the Rams won, and here are my thoughts.
    -The win was against literally one of the worst teams in the last couple of years. Beating them doesn't make me feel much better.
    -The play calling was again atrocious.
    Richardson in a 3rd and 1, and later a 3rd and 2 over Stacy, who had been falling forward all day.
    -Another example was the continued lack of no huddle, the 3-and-outs, very bland etc.
    -I didn't see this much on the college tape, but Austin has been dropping a lot of balls. Today was no exception. I counted 3 important drops.
    -Penalties were still there, though they seem to be going down. Or maybe that's wishful thinking.
    -More blown coverages, and Blackmon torched the secondary.

-On a positive note, Bradford looked much better after the first quarter despite the handicap of having Shotty as an OC.
    -Stacy looked really good, I'd like to see him start again next week. Really pushes the pile. Pettis looked good, seems like Bradford really trusts him. Givens disappeared for most of the game but he would have had a long TD if Bradford hadn't underthrown it.
    -Line looked pretty good, both in pass protection and creating holes.
    -Defense played very well against the run and made plays when it counted. Still don't like the idea of giving up that many points to a Jags offense, but they did enough and that's what counts

Rambos is offline Registered User

It was a no win situation for the Rams. If they lost it would have been over! The fans and the media would have crushed them. They won and still could go backwards in the meaningless power rankings.

We could have won 50 to zip and it would still be a bye week for the most part. I think we came out of this game injury free and with a win, that's about the best we could do in the eyes of most.
    thoey and Nick like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast