• 3 Post By AlphaRam
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By Azul e Oro
  • 2 Post By TekeRam
  • 1 Post By RamsInfiniti

Thread: Rams VS Panthers

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Rams VS Panthers

The difference between these two 0-2 teams is this: Hope & Promise.

We had a glimpse of that from the start of last season and, after awhile, it kinda slowly faded away. Starting at the top, I'm thinking, and hoping, that this is just a sophomore slump (for the next several weeks), and Sam will grow out of it. Meanwhile, the secondary is just beyond awful. Again, it's just the idea of your team having promise. I wish I could feel that way right now with the Rams because we all love 'em; but I'm beginning to wonder. I know this may seem like it's another "world is ending so soon" thread but can you blame me right now? We didn't see many positives in two consecutive games. Like I said in the chat, I think Bradford is going to be an elite QB but I think this is going to be another year for him to struggle...along with the entire team. I fear this is a growing pains year. The lockout didn't help, and I'm hoping we see some improvement over time.
    bruce4life likes this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Rams VS Panthers

Your just calling it as you see it sir nothing wrong with that man. If we can get to 2-5 out of the hurrendous 7 game stretch to start the season i'll be happy...

Yeah, me too man. I don't care if we lose all of them (well, yeah I do!), but if we make legitimate progress it's something to get excited about.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I understand your frustrations but I have a lot of hope for the team. Stupid mistakes killed us tonight. I mean KILLED us. There was, however, a lot of great football in between the blunders. I mean when was the last time we had a quarterback go for over 300, a receiver go for over 100, an interception and sacks all in the same game.

Mental errors were our Achilles tonight but mental errors are the easiest thing for a team to correct.

At least I hope so. : )

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Playing with an injured Bartell, Jackson, and Amendola while still keeping it at a two-score game is pretty impressive to me. They just need to fix these mental mistakes with a nice little band-aid.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Screw progress - I want some effing wins!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think the McDaniels offense is affecting Bradford mentally; and as a result, affecting the entire offense. He doesn't look that confident to me. I think he's a brilliant guy and he'll grasp it over time, but like I said--and schedule difficultly put aside--I think he's going to experience a sophomore slump...well, he is. What worries me a bit is that it kinda started last year before McDaniels even came here. Regardless, he's had 3 systems in 3 years. I'll cut him some slack. The team, as a whole, needs to improve.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    The difference between these two 0-2 teams is this: Hope & Promise.

We had a glimpse of that from the start of last season and, after awhile, it kinda slowly faded away. Starting at the top, I'm thinking, and hoping, that this is just a sophomore slump (for the next several weeks), and Sam will grow out of it. Meanwhile, the secondary is just beyond awful. Again, it's just the idea of your team having promise. I wish I could feel that way right now with the Rams because we all love 'em; but I'm beginning to wonder. I know this may seem like it's another "world is ending so soon" thread but can you blame me right now? We didn't see many positives in two consecutive games. Like I said in the chat, I think Bradford is going to be an elite QB but I think this is going to be another year for him to struggle...along with the entire team. I fear this is a growing pains year. The lockout didn't help, and I'm hoping we see some improvement over time.
    I'm thinking, and hoping, that this is just a sophomore slump
    Are you kidding me.... How many INT has that thrown in the first two games?

How many balls where dropped last week by Sam?

We lost for reason other the Sam....

Tell me why you are calling this a sophomore slump? I will say he did not play well last week but he had no help on the O line or the WR.
    lordwhttgr likes this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

Tell me why you are calling this a sophomore slump? I will say he did not play well last week but he had no help on the O line or the WR.
    A blanket denial that Sam is also struggling doesn't make much sense,imo. I seriously doubt that he & the coaches are pleased with his missed reads in the RZ, lack of touch, rushed blitz beaters, and sacks taken unnecessarily. I think it's far too early to call it a sophomore slump; there are too many other things going wrong that are beyond his control but he's far from blameless, imo.
    supachump and TekeRam like this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Azul is right on the money, as were Dilfer and Young in the pre-game. Sam is excellent, amzaing even, in the first 80 yards. Once the field shortens though, he has trouble finding spots and connecting on fades. I've watched him in these first two weeks fail to connect on wide open fades at least 3 or 4 times. THAT is a major problem. It's not a sophomore slump, because he did the same thing last year. We were like top five in redzone possessions last year. How the hell does a 7-9 team do that? They do it when you can move at will to the 20, and then can't punch it in.

Now, I don't think, nor can I believe that this is a flaw of Sam's that will never go away. Eventually, he and his receivers as well as the overall picture, will click. We'd be 1-1 right now, and maybe even 2-0 right now if it had clicked(Amendola fade left from the 1 yard line week 1, a few times last night). We are not a bad team by any means, but we are redzone challenged, and part of that is our receivers and our run game, but a big part of it is just that Sam has some issues with getting passes into tight windows at the goal line for now.

The fact that Bradford came in as a rookie and has been able to drive the ball downfield at will is amazing. The defense can choke an average or even above average offense as we saw last night. Paired with a QB who can drive down the field and kill clock, they can keep doing it all game long(see 2009 for what happens when they can't). The problem is, if you make mistakes and can't punch the ball in eventually, you lose. That's what happened last night, and will continue to happen until Bradford has his nirvana moment.

When Bradford suddenly clicks and starts hitting those fades and finding the holes to get it into the middle of the endzone, we're not going to start winning, we're going to start dominating.
    supachump and sakl18 like this.
    I believe!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

You're right, he does have 0 interceptions. He should have 3....

But not the point. I think he has played well with the limited time learning the new offense and I believe he will continue to improve.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Agreed Bradford has been horendous in the RedZone.

However

I also believe having a true number 1 receiver makes the redzone easier. Even if he isn't open, he will draw a lot of attention. Which helps the quarterback spot the other open targets with more ease. Bradford just doesn't have a go to guy. Alexander had a great game yesterday though

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bradford has been far less than stellar in the RZ, but it sure would be nice to see him able to operate with Jackson in there, or a running game that opposing defenses had to respect.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Bradford was impressive yesterday. Very impressive at times, and I've been his biggest critic. Many much more experienced QB's have issues in the redzone also. He will figure it out as the game slows down.

I only saw one pass by Bradford in the whole game that I thought was a bad pass, and I know he wanted it back. That was the throw that Ross almost intercepted. Gibson was 5 yards behind both defenders. Loft that one up and its an easy touchdown.

PROGRESS!
    lordwhttgr likes this.