Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rams waived CB Jerome Murphy.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    gc, every fan overvalues their own guys every year. That's what being a football fan is all about!
    Exactly.... The way i see it. Jenkins is a future HOFer. Brockers, Givens, and GZ, will be perrinial pro bowlers. Quick and Richardson will make a few. Johnson, Pead, and Rok will be solid players and major contributors.... Didnt miss any1 did i?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Rams waived CB Jerome Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Kevin Curtis? Really, come on. He did some stuff, and we sure blew it with drew bennett, but kevin curtis? Absolutely right on on fletcher (terrible decision with jaime duncan-10 plus years ago). Dickerson is a completely different era pre free agency and its 25 years ago. Warner? An entirely different discussion. He did nothing for the giants and there were a number of considerations behind that decision.

MY point pertained to recent history. Every team has its guys that it let go over time that they wished they had back if you really want to chase a ten plus year time horizon.

But you are proving my point. You name a four guys in a 25 year period. My point on murphy was NOT my own personnel assessment. IT was based on the track record, nothing more and nothing less. I dont know enough to have a specific view on murphy, but i do have a view that fisher knows a lot more than the rest of us about DB's.

Other examples of how could we let them go- aruchuletta, wistrom, OJ Atogwe, pace, holt. What did they do elsewhere? Nothing. As fans, we have a real tendency to think that the rams are the only team in the nfl whose draft picks arent successful every year. We overvalue our own guys every year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I get what you are saying and in the same mind set that the FO does know way more then we do as they should. But fans that come to boards like us and talk about the Rams year round tend to form opinions based on what we read, hear ect. But none of us really know the facts. Tony Softli who is at camp daily and really is about as close to the action as you can get was off on his final roster, looking forward to hearing his thoughts on Monday.

If fans are not going to speculate and have dialog then whats the point of hanging out with you guys. I enjoy the fact the guys like NJ can write some good takes even though I don't always agree, he always seems to have thought about it and put it out there. It's guys like that that make me come back for more.

I'm always amazed we can all watch a game and many of us see totally different things happen on the field. make it interesting to come here and hear the view points of the Clan. We all need to respect each other and not get into personal shots, which most here do.

Oh yeah almost forgot Kevin Curtis:

Now, free from their shadow, he set career highs in his first year with the Eagles and finished the year with 1,110 yards, 77 receptions and 6 touchdowns
    Curtis had his best game on September 23, 2007 in the first half of a 56-21 Eagles win over the Detroit Lions. His nine catches for 205 yards and three touchdowns tied Lee Evans for the most receiving yards during the first half of a game since 1987
    He did get hurt and then started missing time. would have loved to have him over Bennett.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I don't think Fletcher and Curtis were cut, and instead left in free agency. Also, the Rams didn't exactly get shafted in the Dickerson trade, but didn't make the picks they received count. With regards to Warner, he only got his groove back late in his career, but the Rams were very right to cut him when they did.

The only player that I can think of that performed well after leaving the Rams was Laurent Robinson. But that was one season playing in the slot when the defense was concentrating on Austin and Bryant. Not sure he will manage the same this year.
    Cut or not the Rams opted to move on, Curtis was signed for about the same amount as Bennett and we all know how that worked out for us. Warner I'm going to agree to disagree... Fletcher not signing him was a crime.

Lets hope these last moves turn out better.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

This comment is not directed at anyone specifically on this board, so please dont be offended. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, it never ceases to amaze me how many of us think that they know as much as the coaches when it comes to personnel assesment. As if we are watching all the practices, sitting in the meetings, watching all the film etc.

Name the last time the rams cut a guy or traded him on the cheap where he became a material contributor elsewhere? The guys that jumps into my head is Madison Hedgecock. Every year people complain about our moves, without accepting the realtity that our team has been massively lacking in talent for years. That said, i think salas will do well with the patriots, but was not a good fit for coach fishers system, especially with danny around. Maybe murphy will turn into a productive player somewhere. I sure wouldnt bet on it.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramming speed to all

general counsel[/QUOTE]

No doubt there have been more players who have busted after being dropped by The Rams than have succeeded but it's not as one-sided as you suggest.

Hedgecock was a stud for NYG until health ended his career ; that is a dreadful example for your argument.

Curtis was a 1000 yd WR for Philly until, again,injuries ended his run.Hakim had more than a few good games for Detroit. Pickett became a solid rotation DT. Paris Lenon was called their most effective LB last year by the Cards coaches. Grant is a primary back-up & significant contributor for the studly Whiner LB corps.

There's no way to know whether these or any of the other guys dismissed by prior Rams regimes would have been equally useful/bad for The Rams-circumstances vary wildly - but none of them was replaced by anything like an equal or better. Ditto for the current regime's players. Surely keeping an open mind means looking at both the pros/cons with all the info available to fans & makes more sense than either blind faith or reactionary hysteria.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-02-2012 at 04:29 PM.

I got another one for u guys... Dre Bly.... He went to the Lions and made the pro bowl his first year with them.... And he barely seen the field here, which i didnt understand becuase it seemed like when he was on the field he always came up with a fumble or int.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    I got another one for u guys... Dre Bly.... He went to the Lions and made the pro bowl his first year with them.... And he barely seen the field here, which i didnt understand becuase it seemed like when he was on the field he always came up with a fumble or int.
    The thing with Dre Bly is that for every big play he made, he gave up one. It wasn't like he was shutting receivers down and also getting picks. In fact one of the reasons he got so many picks was because QBs were very willing to throw on him.

dorotheajn is offline Registered User

He was claimed by the Saints today...

Quote Originally Posted by dorotheajn View Post
    He was claimed by the Saints today...
    It's funny how that works, McD got Salas his guy and Spags got Murphy his guy, oh yeah and Fisher got his guys.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-02-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Name the last time the rams cut a guy or traded him on the cheap where he became a material contributor elsewhere?
    Well, I'm always up for a challenge.

• Donnie Avery is poised to be the #3 in Indy and will start if Austin Collie can't stay healthy.
    • Laurent Robinson blew up in Dallas and earned himself a big paycheck from Jacksonville.
    • I believe both Richie Incognito and Will Witherspoon are entering their third years as starters for their respective post-Rams organizations.
    • Ron Bartell is in the starting line-up in Oakland.
    • Justin Bannan is pegged for starting duties at nose tackle for Denver.
    • Adam Carriker just received a $20 million extension to remain a starter in Washington.
    • Brandon Lloyd is set to start in New England.

Look, I'm not trying to argue that we should have kept these guys. I wasn't particularly upset about the Rams moving on; in some if not most cases, I agreed it was time to go another direction, and I know I wasn't the only fan to feel that way at the time. But you asked for some names, and there you have it, though I'm not sure they meet the qualifications of "material contributor."

Regardless, I agree with your opinion more than I disagree with it. The coaching staff and front office people have much, much more information at their disposal. They see these guys on the practice field, in the weight room, on film. Their knowledge of what it takes to make it as a professional football player supersedes that of us fans by leaps and bounds. They are in a much better position to make more accurate decisions when it comes to personnel. There's a reason none of us are getting phone calls to come work in an NFL front office or on the sidelines.

Having said that, they're not infallible. Heck, if they were, the Rams wouldn't be in the situation they are now, right? Informed fans who watch the games and know what to look for can draw intelligent conclusions. We're often wrong - and again, my recollection is that few fans were really devastated by most of the names I mentioned heading elsewhere - but there are times when fans get it right.

I don't think that's enough for fans to claim superiority of opinion over those who do this for a living, but at the same time, I don't think the personnel people in the league have such a strong track record that they shouldn't be questioned at all. It's a tough balancing act. I don't agree with fans who act as if they know more than coaches or front office personnel, but I also don't agree that fans can't question or express disagreement about personnel moves simply because they don't know as much as those who are making those decisions. For me, the right balance is somewhere between those two extremes.
    RockinRam likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

• Donnie Avery is poised to be the #3 in Indy and will start if Austin Collie can't stay healthy.
    • Laurent Robinson blew up in Dallas and earned himself a big paycheck from Jacksonville.
    • I believe both Richie Incognito and Will Witherspoon are entering their third years as starters for their respective post-Rams organizations.
    • Adam Carriker just received a $20 million extension to remain a starter in Washington.
    Avery or Robinson couldnt stay healthy. Incognito shouldnt have been cut, Weatherspoon and Carriker were playing out of position. Bartell wasnt they great imo, LLoyd didnt want to come back here... He said he would follow Mcd. And i have no excuse for Bannan

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Avery or Robinson couldnt stay healthy. Incognito shouldnt have been cut, Weatherspoon and Carriker were playing out of position. Bartell wasnt they great imo, LLoyd didnt want to come back here... He said he would follow Mcd. And i have no excuse for Bannan
    Again, the point wasn't to second guess the decisions but simply to respond to GC's challenge of naming any players the Rams cut who went to another team and contributed.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Again, the point wasn't to second guess the decisions but simply to respond to GC's challenge of naming any players the Rams cut who went to another team and contributed.
    I know, lol sorry i just couldnt resist.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Dude... You've been on a roll. Dug the "borg" reference a while back.
    Thx. Sometimes I just can't resist, whether it's futile or not. Gotta try to keep it fun, right ?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Look, I'm not trying to argue that we should have kept these guys. I wasn't particularly upset about the Rams moving on; in some if not most cases, I agreed it was time to go another direction, and I know I wasn't the only fan to feel that way at the time. But you asked for some names, and there you have it, though I'm not sure they meet the qualifications of "material contributor."

Regardless, I agree with your opinion more than I disagree with it. The coaching staff and front office people have much, much more information at their disposal. They see these guys on the practice field, in the weight room, on film. Their knowledge of what it takes to make it as a professional football player supersedes that of us fans by leaps and bounds. They are in a much better position to make more accurate decisions when it comes to personnel. There's a reason none of us are getting phone calls to come work in an NFL front office or on the sidelines.

Having said that, they're not infallible. Heck, if they were, the Rams wouldn't be in the situation they are now, right? Informed fans who watch the games and know what to look for can draw intelligent conclusions. We're often wrong - and again, my recollection is that few fans were really devastated by most of the names I mentioned heading elsewhere - but there are times when fans get it right.

I don't think that's enough for fans to claim superiority of opinion over those who do this for a living, but at the same time, I don't think the personnel people in the league have such a strong track record that they shouldn't be questioned at all. It's a tough balancing act. I don't agree with fans who act as if they know more than coaches or front office personnel, but I also don't agree that fans can't question or express disagreement about personnel moves simply because they don't know as much as those who are making those decisions. For me, the right balance is somewhere between those two extremes.

While I appreciate the point you are making Nick, I think it is worth pointing out that while a player may be starting, it doesn't mean they are a quality player that we should have kept.

For example, Donnie Avery being the #3 in Indy probably says more about the state of Indy's WR corps than it does about Avery. Same with Bannan at NT in Denver. The Broncos aren't exactly known for having great DTs.

While Ron Bartell is pretty solid in coverage, he would be the 3rd CB at best in St Louis if he was still here. The guy just cannot make a play on the ball.

Lloyd would obviously be great to still have here as the #1 WR, but he never even thought of staying in St Louis. He was a free agent though, and not someone cut or traded by the team.

After Lloyd there are only two players that would start for us most likely. Witherspoon at OLB is likely better than the guys we have at that position, even if he is weak at the point of attack. And Richie Incognito is a solid G, but then again he was never cut because of talent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12