RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams want old story, new chapter

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Sunday, May. 14 2006

The Rams hope fifth-round draft pick Marques Hagans is the next Antwaan Randle
    El. Not that this is a new story line for Hagans. Far from it.

Six years ago, Hagans committed to Indiana University, where he was supposed to
    be Randle El's successor. Instead, Hagans spent a year at prep school getting
    his academics in order, and then signed with the University of Virginia.

Randle El, of course, went on to fame and fortune in the NFL with Pittsburgh,
    and now, Washington.

"He's done a tremendous job in the NFL making a name for himself being a
    receiver, punt returner, and doing trick plays," Hagans said.

The Rams would like nothing better than for Hagans to do the same in St. Louis.

Like Randle El, Hagans spent most of his college career playing quarterback.
    And he posted some impressive numbers throwing the football for the Cavaliers,
    including a 62.3 career completion percentage that's second-best in school
    history.

But at 5 feet 9 1/2 inches, Hagans knew his QB days were over the moment his
    college career ended.

"There's not too many quarterbacks in the NFL under 6 feet," Hagans said. "If
    God didn't bless me with the ability to play other positions, I'd probably be
    kind of stuck. But since I can do other things, like play receiver and return
    punts, it wasn't a big change."

While backing up Matt Schaub in '02 and '03, Hagans returned 57 punts, one of
    which went for a 69-yard touchdown against West Virginia in the Continental
    Tire Bowl. He also carried 47 times for 198 yards and four TDs in those two
    seasons. He caught 28 passes for 262 yards in '03. (Once Schaub left for the
    NFL's Atlanta Falcons, Hagans became Virginia's starting quarterback in '04 and
    '05.)

"What he is is a heck of a football player," Rams coach Scott Linehan said
    Sunday, following the second day of the team's rookie minicamp. "For a guy to
    be able to do what he's done - play a number of positions in his college career
    and be successful at it. Come to an NFL minicamp and play receiver full time,
    and be really effective. ... That's hard. That's not a natural thing."

Hagans will be given every opportunity to nail down the punt-return job this
    coming season.

"But you've got to be able to play another position, and he's showed that at
    receiver, he fits in there pretty well," Linehan said.

With only a morning practice remaining today to conclude the minicamp, Hagans'
    work at wide receiver has been a pleasant surprise. He has made some tough
    catches, diving for a sideline pass Saturday, and coming back across his body
    for a pass thrown behind him Sunday.

"He just makes plays," Linehan said. "Making tough catches is part of making
    plays. But what he does is catch the ball well with his hands. A lot of times,
    guys that convert over (to wide receiver) want to 'body catch.' He catches
    everything with his hands and goes out and gets the ball. And that's something
    that's really hard to teach. That's a good start."

Besides his pass-catching work at Virginia, Hagans also some played wide
    receiver in high school. In the 10th grade, he caught passes from Ronald Curry,
    the college quarterback- turned-NFL wide receiver of the Oakland Raiders.

"So (wide receiver) is nothing that's impossible," Hagans said. "I've done it
    before. I think the main thing for me is just learning the basic fundamentals
    of how to be a true receiver, as opposed to just playing it for a little bit
    and then going back to quarterback. Now, I'm a full-time receiver."

Even if Hagans continues to progress at wide receiver, he doesn't figure to be
    more than a situational player on a unit that features Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce
    and Kevin Curtis. His greatest impact as a rookie could come returning punts,
    where his knack for making the first guy miss will come in handy.

"It's not something that you can work on," Hagans said. "Half the time when I
    do stuff, it's not even planned. It just happens. It's like instinct. I thank
    God for the ability that he gave me, but I don't know where it comes from."

Hagans lacks blazing speed, with 40 times in the 4.5- to 4.6-second range. But
    he insists, "I've never been 'walked down' from behind in a game. ... I have
    game speed."

He's also got plenty of personality. His nickname is Biscuit. One of his listed
    hobbies is watching the Cooking Channel. And he has 24 tattoos ... all from a
    fellow Hagans refers to as "Ben in Charlottesville." He has a tattoo of his
    home state. A tattoo of his area code. And tattoos devoted to deceased friends.

From time to time, he hangs out with NBA All-Star Allen Iverson, who's also
    from the Tidewater area of Virginia.

And one other thing: His father used to be a wide receiver.

"So maybe this was meant to be," Hagans said, smiling.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams want old story, new chapter

I`d settle for a brand new Tony Horne,anyone who can multi-task like Randle El must be a woman in disguise!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams want old story, new chapter

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew4EverRams
    I`d settle for a brand new Tony Horne,anyone who can multi-task like Randle El must be a woman in disguise!
    lmao so your saying we signed a girl? well that girl can play, I've seen her videos, she's dayuummnn goood son lol LOL

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams