Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Rams want Superbowl XXVI outcome overturned?

SI.com - Writers - Peter King: Combine offers more talk than action - Monday February 25, 2008 11:03AM

Spygate is not going away. Bill Belichick is not here, though that's not such big news; he didn't come a year ago. But on all sides, you feel the hum of Spygate, and rumors are everywhere. In general, this situation reminds me of a murder trial in a small town and a judge trying to seat a jury for it.

Getting a fair trial in this league right now is tough. You can't find 12 people in the league who don't have a strong opinion on this, and most of those opinions are very anti-Patriot. The consensus is there's too much smoke around the story for it to either be false or for it to go away. That's why it's so important for the league to get Walsh to talk as soon as possible, so this story, which has amazed top league officials with its legs, can be vetted for good, one way or the other.

Over the weekend, I spoke with former Rams coach Mike Martz about the allegation that the Patriots videotaped St. Louis' walk through practice the day before Super Bowl XXXVI. He says the Ram practice that day consisted of the offense running its red-zone plays at half speed. I hear that Martz and other Ram people are privately talking much tougher, and I think it's possible, if there is tape of the walk through, the Rams may press the league to have the outcome of the game overturned.

It's crucial for the Patriots -- and for Belichick's future as a head coach in the league -- that former New England video assistant Matt Walsh not have a tape of that practice. All we can do is speculate on that right now, but I, for one, believe that tape does not exist. I believe it's more likely Walsh has some tapes of the Patriots videotaping opposing signals. That's not going to get the Patriots, or Belichick, in more trouble. The Pats have already been sanctioned for that.
    As much as we all want it to, and the Pats are found to be guilty (which they will be), there is no chance the NFL overturns the outcome of the game. Sure the Patsies will get more fines and lose more picks, but that's all it's gonna be.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Rams want Superbowl XXVI outcome overturned?

Youre right. They won't over turn the game. As much as I would love for us to have that win...it won't happen. Not only would it be a hassel, but the NFL shops have sold merchandise from that time and still have some in their vaults probably. Why go through all of that and remake something from that long ago?

I don't think the NFL is patient enough to do this...I'm sorry. If anything, I think they should give us their draft picks this year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Bill Belichick's reputation is on the line "BIGTIME".

PHAT-MONEY Guest

if found guilty of cheating, the nfl would look worse by NOT reversing the Games outcome

mdram is offline Registered User

I think they should get the orginal rosters and coaches back and play a flag football game for the trophy!

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    I think they should get the orginal rosters and coaches back and play a flag football game for the trophy!
    We would get absolutely murdered.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

It would be kind of funny that Martz spent 6 years as the head coach 2000-2005, had a big blow up with the FO, and never received SuperBowl champion recognition. Now 3 years after Martz left the Rams he may receive his first SuperBowl championship with the Rams. Now thats kind of funny.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

If our defense doesn't let the Pats march down the field in the last minute of play, this could all be a moot point.

Personally, I don't want the game handed to us. We didn't earn it, cheating or not.

If solid evidence such as film does exist, which I seriously doubt, I would like to see Belicheat kicked out of the league.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

PHAT-MONEY Guest

or atleast throw his daughter up for grabs

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I just want the Patsies to be shown for what they are, cheating pos's.

Keenum is offline Registered User

You may want to change the title, it just says "Superbowl XXVI" and really confused me, lol

But I like this. Yeah, I think no chance it gets overturned, but odds are the NFL and others will try to find a "middle point" to agree on.
    And the further away we are from the NFL's opinion on this (let nothing happen is what they want), I think the better chance we have of an action being taken.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

All I can add to this is "that forteited pick should be the Rams"!

There is no way to compensate the Rams should this be proven. The financials alone are huge. Therefore, finish up the investigation. If it is "proven" true, then the Rams should at least get that pick, #31 overall, in the upcoming draft. Hell, make them give next years #1 also.
    Semper Fi!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    All I can add to this is "that forteited pick should be the Rams"!

There is no way to compensate the Rams should this be proven. The financials alone are huge. Therefore, finish up the investigation. If it is "proven" true, then the Rams should at least get that pick, #31 overall, in the upcoming draft. Hell, make them give next years #1 also.
    That would be good too. I would like to see the #31 overall given to us. Then have the #1 next year taken away.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I want to see either the Pats erased from the books for that game and any other they can find evidence for, or at LEAST an asterisk put there.
    I want it to be remembered, and my grandkids will ask me "Grandpa, what is that thing next to the Patriots for 2001?" and I'll say "Well my boy, that is where the Patriots cheated that year." and then they will know.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Not so fast my pretties! Why the rush to dismiss the notion the NFL would not take the championship away from the Patsies? After all, the Olympics takes medals away from cheaters. Title belts are taken away from fighters who cheat.
    The mood of the country (well at least represented by our beloved Congress which has nothing else to do), to have cheaters be held accountable.
    In the great words of John Lennon...Imagine there's no cheaters....its easy if you try....no tape of walk throughs....punish the Pats and make them cry....imagine all the Ram fans...getting the repeat they deeeeseeeerve....ohhhh ohhhh ooooohhhhhh..........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast