Thread: Rams welcome Sam Bradford contract extension talks

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams welcome Sam Bradford contract extension talks

Rams welcome Sam Bradford contract extension talks
    By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The League Editor
    Published: Sept. 26, 2013 at 06:58 p.m.
    Updated: Sept. 26, 2013 at 10:04 p.m.

St. Louis Rams fans continue to wait for Sam Bradford to play like a No. 1 overall pick. He hasn't played poorly through four seasons, but he often leaves observers wanting more.

It begs the question: When might the Rams' front office think about alternatives?

Thankfully, we have NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Media Columnist Mike Silver to ask these types of questions. Rapoport and Silver spent time with Rams coach Jeff Fisher, general manager Les Snead and Rams president Kevin Demoff in St. Louis this week.

"We have decided that Sam Bradford is our guy. If they came to us and wanted to do a contract extension right now, we'd do it in a minute," Demoff told Silver.

Bradford's deal doesn't run out until 2015. He's due $27 million over the next two seasons, which is a lot of money for a mid-level starter.

Rapoport and Silver reported on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access Kickoff" that Bradford is in no rush to work on an extension. Bradford knows how highly the Rams think of him, but he'd like to wait until he has the stats to back up the kind of contract he wants. (We'd argue that Bradford doesn't have the stats to back up the contract he has now.)

If the stats don't come this season, Rapoport reports that Bradford will play another season and reassess after 2014.

Bradford is not going anywhere, and there is no pressure to do a new contract soon. He's owed a lot of money in the next two years, and the Rams clearly are on board with paying it.

At some point, Bradford is going to have to play like a top-shelf starter in order to get paid like one. Bradford has time on his side.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Rams welcome Sam Bradford contract extension talks

I just can see it. First 2 games he was great. Last 2 he's been horrible. Better to wait until the end of the year at the very least before committing to anything.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Don't do it.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Wager he will not even sniff $60mil. contract again...personally if I was Bradford I'd only sign for a 2 year contract, because he knows his numbers thus far this season are Mark Sanchezish (2012)

macrammer is offline Registered User

At this point, that is a mistake. He needs to show he is worthy to be the long term solution. We have so many holes to fill but Sam appears to be nothing more then a middle of the road QB. He will never live up to his draft and contract status IMO.
    StownWTF likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I believe the Rams would be foolish to extend Sam Bradford right now. He's had a couple of pretty good games so far this season, and a couple the local high school QB could've easily duplicated.

Is that something that screams "Extension"? Not in the least in my book, but of course I'm still mad he hasn't offered any of that 78 million back.

Maybe he's ultra impressive in practice because to this point, I simply don't see what others apparently see.

He simply looks like a pretty good (far from elite) QB, and that's just not good enough for me.

No to any extension for Sam until the day his play warrants it, and that's certainly not toDay.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    By Gregg Rosenthal - Bradford has time on his side.
    I find it hard to believe Bradford is going to get all that money given the product on the field right now.

The announcers at tonight's game said winning is the best deodorant. It must be true because there is an awful stink wafting from the EJD tonight.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Bradford's value went way way down after the last 2 games....
    StownWTF likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The irony is, for those who would have the Rams get rid of Bradford (I am very disappointed in his performance yesterday, but I'm not giving up on him just yet), the best move may be to extend him.

Right now, Sam has one year left after this one on a big $ contract. That means that, at the end of this year, he will (much like Josh Freeman right now) be virtually untradeable.

On the other hand, if he were signed to a longer term deal that is structured in a more cap-friendly manner, there might be a market for his services should the Rams give up on him.

Again, I don't think that would be wise. As bad as he played yesterday, I don't know many (any?) QBs who would thrive on an offense that rushes for 18 yards (and about a 1 yard avg.), does a poor job of pass protecting, and has a group of WRs who are all in their first 3 years in the league.
    StownWTF likes this.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

^ I get the logic, and I'm sure we probably never consider half of the business side decisions that are made, but to me I don't think anyone should be rewarded for poor play. Call it what you want, make any excuse you want, but at the end of the day, Sam Bradford has not played up to his draft status nor has he done anything to warrant him getting a contact extension. I want to see progress and performance to warrant these contracts. I want to like Sam Bradford, and not everything is his fault, but my God I've never seen a QB who throws so many batted balls. He's tall. I don't get it. Does anyone else ever see this with ANY other QB? You'd think we had Russell Wilson. Quite frankly, Bradford should've had 3 picks, one at least going for 6. The lucky Cook catch. Come on. We deserve more after all the bull**** we've been through as an organization. Watching that game last night was EMBARRASSING. We didn't look like a team worthy of being in the NFL. It's that simple. I'll never give up on my Rams but I am PISSED and not in a good mood right now. I apologize in advance. I haven't been this upset or angry after a game in awhile.
    StownWTF likes this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The irony is, for those who would have the Rams get rid of Bradford (I am very disappointed in his performance yesterday, but I'm not giving up on him just yet), the best move may be to extend him.

Right now, Sam has one year left after this one on a big $ contract. That means that, at the end of this year, he will (much like Josh Freeman right now) be virtually untradeable.

On the other hand, if he were signed to a longer term deal that is structured in a more cap-friendly manner, there might be a market for his services should the Rams give up on him.

Again, I don't think that would be wise. As bad as he played yesterday, I don't know many (any?) QBs who would thrive on an offense that rushes for 18 yards (and about a 1 yard avg.), does a poor job of pass protecting, and has a group of WRs who are all in their first 3 years in the league.
    Sam's in year four of a six year deal. He has two years left after this one. I like you look at it from the Rams side only. But Sam is really in the drivers seat. He's the one that has said no contract talks until his numbers are where he wants them to be to get paid. That wont happen until the Rams FO starts making the right moves. Better schemes, better O line and running backs.

He might want a change and a new start if the Rams can't build a winner. Steve Young played for Tampa before he went to a team that truly had their act together.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

This is NOT an attempt to defend his performance from last night, but... right now Sam Bradford has a higher QB rating than Joe Flacco and Colin Kaepernick - the two QBs who played in last year's Super Bowl.

Is Sam a "transcendent talent" like Peyton Manning? No. But I still think that, with an effective system and a well-rounded offense, he can thrive. The question is... will the Rams be able to build that around him? Last night certainly justifies doubt along those lines.

macrammer is offline Registered User

IMO, the game last night was there for the taking early. Rams had the Whiners on their heels and were driving. a wide open Pettis was missed horribly by Sam...We settled for a FG. Then, when Rams were driving again and within FG range, an ill advised throw into double coverage that was picked off and then we watched the Whiners drive 80 yards. Those two plays illustrate to me the ineffectiveness of Sam as a top QB.... While we are amiss all over the place, Sam had the chance to be something special early last night and failed.

After hearing in the past Rams needed to have consistency in our OC, (we do) after hearting we do not have the Wr's (we signed and drafted during offseason) after signing Jake Long to anchor the line...

I think the talent just is not there with the QB and others or the coaching is just horrible or both. IDK....but Sam needs to worry about nothing but what he is very well paid to do on the field.....The FO needs to cease all contract extension comments and all of those folks need to find a way to put a better product on the field for once and for all. The fans of this downtrodden organization DESERVE this.

Alpha_Male is offline Registered User

Alot of knee jerk reactions here.

Rams are in jam, but the good news is they are alot better then what they're playing.

Even after two 'bad' performances, Bradford is on pace for 28 tds and 12 ints, and 4400 yds. The biggest problem is not the quarterback. The biggest problems are penalties, the awful running game, and a defense that took several steps back for some strange reason. Frank Gore had 100 yards rushing at the half. Anquan Boldin single handedly beat the Rams secondary, but he did do the same to the Packers.

Fisher needs to get everyone calmed down. Schottenheimer and Fisher's offense thrives on the running game. The gameplan and QB are useless without one. They have to get that fixed first. Dont know if that means bringing in or trading for a RB, or whatever, but they have to fix the running game. in the the last two games they are averaging something like 1.6 yds a carry. That will not do

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Male View Post
    Alot of knee jerk reactions here.

Rams are in jam, but the good news is they are alot better then what they're playing.

Even after two 'bad' performances, Bradford is on pace for 28 tds and 12 ints, and 4400 yds. The biggest problem is not the quarterback. The biggest problems are penalties, the awful running game, and a defense that took several steps back for some strange reason. Frank Gore had 100 yards rushing at the half. Anquan Boldin single handedly beat the Rams secondary, but he did do the same to the Packers.

Fisher needs to get everyone calmed down. Schottenheimer and Fisher's offense thrives on the running game. The gameplan and QB are useless without one. They have to get that fixed first. Dont know if that means bringing in or trading for a RB, or whatever, but they have to fix the running game. in the the last two games they are averaging something like 1.6 yds a carry. That will not do
    If he can survive.

ESPN Projections
    Projected 4,372 Yards 58.8% 28 TDs INT 12 RAT 82.1

I think if he hit these numbers that would exceed a lot of people projections. The issue right now is the whole team looks bad. We do have a hell of a punter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast