RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams will ask right questions as they search for new coach

By Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Jan. 06 2009
    Now that Rams owner Chip Rosenbloom has spread the word that price will be no
    object in the pursuit of a new head coach, why does it feel like general
    manager Billy Devaney has just been given an unlimited budget for a shopping
    spree at a discount warehouse?

Over the past few days, most of the brand-name, top-shelf coaching prospects
    who would command those eye-popping $5 million to $8 million price tags have
    basically taken themselves off the market. Bill Cowher says he wants to stay in
    television. The recently "devastated" Mike Shanahan wants to heal his emotional
    wounds and count Pat Bowlen's money until next year, when free-spending owners
    in Dallas and Washington are in the mood to upgrade to flashier models.

And now the last of the proven "big names" — Marty Schottenheimer — has said
    that his year-old retirement from the NFL rat race has become permanent.

So we're right back to where we were when this whole process started a few
    weeks ago, which is that the next Rams head coach is not going to be a name
    that registers big with the populace.

No pricey brand names. No headline-grabbing mega-personalities. And that's not
    necessarily a bad thing.

Devaney and his search committee of football men have been doing their
    homework, carefully scrutinizing coaches with the sort of due diligence that
    will allow them to separate the best candidates from the
    not-ready-for-prime-time players.

When real football men are asking the questions, this coaching search will go
    beyond the superficial; this search shouldn't be susceptible to uneducated
    guesses and unsophisticated conclusions.

So while there may be a popular groundswell for Baltimore defensive coordinator
    Rex Ryan, the Rams' search committee is likely to dig a bit deeper than the NFL
    stat sheets that rank Ryan's defense second in the league. What they might be a
    bit more interested in is how Ryan will fare differently as a head coach than
    his predecessor, Mike Nolan, who also was in charge of a ferocious Ravens
    defense but experienced little success as an NFL head coach.

What due diligence will uncover are the tough answers to tough questions.

Do Ryan's schemes make the magic or do those incredible players make Ryan's X's
    and O's magical?

This is not to say that Ryan isn't the man for the job. He very well could be.
    There's no better defense in the NFL right now than the Ravens. They play
    exactly the way the Rams ought to play, with a fearless, aggressive, tough guy
    image that rattles offenses and creates game-changing plays. Ryan's schemes are
    creative and unpredictable, and it's fun to watch Baltimore control a game. But
    there's a difference between X's and O's when Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and Terrell
    Suggs are creating havoc and when Corey Chavous, Quinton Culberson and Fakhir
    Brown are running around.

I'd like to know the reason he finished out of the running for at least two
    head coaching jobs a year ago, and if there is anything about him now that has
    upgraded him from also-ran status to true contender this time around.

Those are fair questions that Ryan ought to be prepared to answer. And Devaney
    and his search committee are smart enough to seek answers to those sorts of
    questions and a whole lot more. Ryan and Jim Fassel, who comes to town Thursday
    for an interview, are intriguing names, and I wouldn't be surprised if Brian
    Billick gets a look at some point, too. Fassel and Billick both have Super
    Bowls on their coaching résumés, and recent history tells us that there's
    nothing like a good head coach on his second tour of duty (see: Bill Belichick
    and Tony Dungy).

But I still won't be surprised if at the end of all the questions, the search
    leads back to the man who is still occupying the upstairs corner office at Rams
    Park, Jim Haslett.

He took over an impossible situation after four games with a roster bereft of
    Pro Bowl talent and turned it into a hard-working group of overachievers. He
    has already clearly articulated his plan for how to turn this organization
    around in a hurry to the people who matter most. It includes critical changes
    in his coaching staff and detailed evaluations of the entire roster. He also
    has a proven record to fall back on that validates that he is up to the task
    (he took over a 3-13 team and turned it into a 10-6 division winner in his
    first season in New Orleans). That's precisely why he has been ushered to an
    automatic berth into the finals for this job.

Haslett's not the exciting choice. He's not the popular choice, either. But
    smart football people won't be fooled by such superficial stuff, which is why
    Haslett's candidacy is still very much alive.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams will ask right questions as they search for new coach

Haslett has been with our RAMS for 3 seasons now. 2 1/4 seasons running the defense which didn't go to well. The other 3/4 of the most recent season as our interim headcoach that didn't go to well either.

Does he deserve the same patience that Linehan was given? After all he took over for Linehan and tried to make Linehan's team a winner, not Haslett's.

Does he deserve the opportunity to buy the groceries himself?

My personal opinion is that we need a proven "LEADER". A man with previous headcoaching experience. Teams in the NFL can be turned around very quickly. We are in arguably the weakest division in the NFL. I can honestly see us going from worst to first in the NFC WEST next season. However the key in my mind is having the right LEADER.

So with that opinion it leaves me leaning towards Fassel, Billick and yes, Haslett.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Haslett has failed us as a coordinator. Why is he being considered for the HC spot? This is ridiculous

Gateway Rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Haslett has been with our RAMS for 3 seasons now. 2 1/4 seasons running the defense which didn't go to well. The other 3/4 of the most recent season as our interim headcoach that didn't go to well either.

Does he deserve the same patience that Linehan was given? After all he took over for Linehan and tried to make Linehan's team a winner, not Haslett's.

Does he deserve the opportunity to buy the groceries himself?

My personal opinion is that we need a proven "LEADER". A man with previous headcoaching experience. Teams in the NFL can be turned around very quickly. We are in arguably the weakest division in the NFL. I can honestly see us going from worst to first in the NFC WEST next season. However the key in my mind is having the right LEADER.

So with that opinion it leaves me leaning towards Fassel, Billick and yes, Haslett.

Out of those three I would take FASSEL hands down. Billick was known as an offensive genious and the only reason he won the SB is because he walked into one of the gretest defenses in NFL history. That was pretty much luck, and look at the ravens without Billick with pretty much the same roster. Faseel can help rebuild this team, and he has proven that he can hire good asst coaches. FASSEL IN 2009

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Of those 3 I would take Billick.
    :ramlogo: