Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Rams will improve pass protection by lowering degree of difficulty.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Rams will improve pass protection by lowering degree of difficulty.

Why do QBs get sacked?

The obvious answer would seem to be "because the OL fails to block the pass rushers."

Certainly, that is often the answer. But there is another reason that is equally as prevalent...

Receivers who fail to get open or, more accurately, fail to get open quickly.

The Rams are returning the same starting OTs as last year, and will rely on either a rookie or an unproven player at one OG spot. Nonetheless, I am optimistic that the pass protection will improve.

The reason is, I believe there will be a significant upgrade in the receiving corps.

Start with... no, not the rookies... Steve Smith and Danny Amendola.

These are two players (one new, one returning to health) who will give Sam Bradford quick outlet throws from the slot. Greg Salas could also help in this regard. This was a key factor in Sam's rookie year, when he was able to get the ball away and avoid pressure much more frequently.

Next... no, not the rookies (I'll get to them, don't worry)... Lance Kendricks.

I think Kendricks is a talented TE who, for whatever reason, just became a bit overwhelmed at the start of the regular season. Now, with a year under his belt and the opportunity to have his first full training camp, I think he'll be better prepared to show his abilities on the field.

Okay... now the rookies.

The Rams' draft produced three receivers who I believe will fill important roles and make the Rams' passing game far more diverse than it was in 2011. Brian Quick is a big WR who can beat his man off the line with his stength, and then fight for the ball with his length. Chris Givens is a burner who will command the attention of FSs, who will have to help over the top to prevent the big play. Then there is Isaiah Pead. I think he can be a dynamic pass catcher who will be effective both out of the backfield and from the slot.

Couple this added talent with a return to an offensive system that favors the quick drop/quick pass approach, and I think we'll see fewer sacks.

After all, you can't sack a QB who has already thrown the ball.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams will improve pass protection by lowering degree of difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

After all, you can't sack a QB who has already thrown the ball.
    Unless you're playing on a bounty trying to hurt the other QB.

Too soon?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Well stated. Plus if I may add, I think Brian Schottenheimer will return to an offense Sam had in year 1 of his career. I'm not certain it will be the classic WCO that Shurmer had, but it will be more 3-step drops rather than the 5 and 7 step drops that JMcD tried to install last year. I also think Scott Wells will help by making the calls and getting the most out of our O-Linemen. Having him and Dahl there will help Saffold and Smith develop their knowledge. Overall, our receivers will be better due to experience and skills and the offense will operate more smoothly because we hopefully have an OC who will adapt to our talent rather than what took place last year. We still need to address the LG situation which I think Jeff and Les will do via FA. That's the one area I believe they will opt for an older player with the right type of experience.

Go Rams!
    Curly Horns and live4ramin like this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Can't sack a QB who has thrown a ball but you can still hit him if you're close enough. I think. Or knock him over. Maybe? Tap him on the shoulder? Anyone have the new 2012 rulebook? Still need to be solid up front but I agree getting the ball out faster will help that a lot.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

AV I agree 100he percent with what you have stated. I think (and pray) we see Sam return to his 2010first form this year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Can't sack a QB who has thrown a ball but you can still hit him if you're close enough. I think. Or knock him over. Maybe? Tap him on the shoulder? Anyone have the new 2012 rulebook? Still need to be solid up front but I agree getting the ball out faster will help that a lot.
    NEW RULE: Page 1,199, Sec QB, Chapter 4, sub-rule B

Defensive players are not allowed within the 5 yard halo surrounding the opposing QB whether he/she has the ball in his/her hand(s) or not.

Roger Goodell

PS- Just achieved my 8,000th post!!!! Hold the gifts just send money!
    Last edited by laram0; -05-03-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

I believe bringing back the W.C.O will help alot since they will not have to hold their blocks for as long. Not to mention I.M.O a better offensive line coach paired with a regular offseason.

This will go a long way to help a couple of young bookends. He will work with Jason Smith on his technique, not to mention a full recovery and a better knowledge of the game for both Jason and Roger. I believe that these two can, and will be better in 2012.

As for the rest of the Offensive line I look for Scott Wells to bring in some leadership and knowledge of W.C.O. and to relieve some pressure from young Sam Bradford with making protection calls at the line of scrimage.

You also have Harvey Dahl who proved to be quite versatile coming back next season. He was more than adequate and I look for him to continue his mean streak.

As for the left guard position, I believe they will bring in another veteran on a one year minimum if not I think their fifth round pick Rock will earn the starting position and learn from the line coach. Seeing as they will run the ball alot next season this will help their young guard.

I believe they will run the ball alot next season and they have the o-line to do it. Bringing in their young guard who is like 6-3 325lbs aboard will also help with the running game he is a leaner and will only get better. This will help that whole unit and they are nasty.

Its going to be a good season, mark my words Rams fans.

Go Rams 2012
    Curly Horns likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

There is no such thing as an offense with long routes that doesn't let the QB get hit. The offensive line is less of a blocking mechanism and more of a delay mechanism. They can't get the guys away from the QB forever, all they can do is slow them down enough for the QB to get the play off. Quicker routes and open receivers will help Sam Bradford a lot, but so will receivers who actually catch the passes he throws. That's a big step too.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    NEW RULE: Page 1,199, Sec QB, Chapter 4, sub-rule B

Defensive players are not allowed within the 5 yard halo surrounding the opposing QB whether he/she has the ball in his/her hand(s) or not.

Roger Goodell

PS- Just achieved my 8,000th post!!!! Hold the gifts just send money!
    But in footnotes in the bottom of Page 1,199 it states that:

This new rule only concerns QB's with the names: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees. QBs not mentioned are fair game; i.e. QBs on teams that rank in the bottom quarter of the league...and Tony Romo.
    laram0, berg8309 and ZiaRam like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

How about this one? Stay out of third and long. I agree with Av's premise, but also point out that improved run blocking will cut down on the sacks. Our down and distance last year was often awful. When the defense knows you are going to pass, it makes it easier to rush the qb and harder to protect. Better down and distance will help sammy a lot, and that starts with the offensive line giving jackson (and Pead) some holes. Third and short to medium gives the offense more options and makes it harder for the defense to defend.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I suggested in another thread that i did not worry about the state of the OL because Schotty and Fisher won't force our offensive personal to play to a system they aren't comfortable in and/or suited for. It's far easier to tailor an offense to the people you have than it is to find players to fit a particular system

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Hopefully Marty Shottenheimer will advise his son on how to help our players find the GLEAM!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    But in footnotes in the bottom of Page 1,199 it states that:

This new rule only concerns QB's with the names: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees. QBs not mentioned are fair game; i.e. QBs on teams that rank in the bottom quarter of the league...and Tony Romo.
    You misquoted the footnote. The footnote says that players are REQUIRED to hit Tony Romo regardless of whether he has the ball, or whether he is even on the field or at the stadium.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

You can sack a QB even if they have a great Oline and great receivers. Bulger achieved it.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Obviously there are many factors that go into a smooth running offense.

Good receivers who get open quickly, a smart QB who knows when to get rid of the football, good play-calling, good blocking from the O-line as well as TEs and RBs. No one part is any more important than another. They are all necessary to maintain good production on offenese.

So there's really no point in harping on one or two aspects.

They all work together or they all fail together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast