Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

  1. #16
    cfh128's Avatar
    cfh128 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    781
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    The NY Jets had 6 WRs to open the season last year: Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, Jeremy Kerley, Logan Payne, Mardy Gilyard. Not to imply that Schotty had final say over the roster, but I'd imagine he had input onto the amount of WRs he wanted to keep for his offense.


  2. #17
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    I'd hate to think Amendola is going to be Bradford's favourite target again this year. I knew the offense was in trouble last season in training camp, after reading comments from Bradford about how thrilled he was to have Danny Amendola back in the fold. When Amendola is your best option at receiver, then what does that say about the roster. Im hoping the Rams can use Amendola this year, but definitely not as a go to guy. What Im saying is someone better step up this year in camp, otherwise it could well be another difficult season for Sam Bradford and the Rams offense.?

  3. #18
    mh-i's Avatar
    mh-i is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,248
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Who will make the roster?

    Brian Quick
    Danny Amendola
    Chris Givens

    Greg Salas
    Steve Smith

    Your assumption is that who's on the roster now are the only guys going to camp. I think they might still be looking for a #1 type guy or at least could pick someone up who is cut from another teams roster.

  4. #19
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,132
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Your assumption is that who's on the roster now are the only guys going to camp. I think they might still be looking for a #1 type guy or at least could pick someone up who is cut from another teams roster.
    I don't see us getting a number one receiver from another team camp cuts... I know we are weak at receiver but we are not that bad.

    Quick is the 1# receiver going into camp, it's his job to lose. If he has trouble picking up the offense or struggling against the higher level of talent in the NFL I could see DX sticking around to take some of the pressure off him.

    We have three outside guys with big play ability and two are rookies and one has been has bad knees.

    I might be wrong but I thought the Rams brought Smith in to play outside not slot.

    We had Danny Amendola and then the old regime drafts two more slot receivers
    Greg Salas and Austin Pettis. Salas can play outside but he's not going to stretch the field. I still don't understand the logic with those two picks.

  5. #20
    jjigga3000's Avatar
    jjigga3000 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    1,440
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Some of the speculation on here is laughable. Locks are Brian Quick, Chris Givens, Danny Amendola and Steve Smith. The rest will fight, for a spot. I Think DX is almost a lock to make the 5th spot because he is a playmaker with dependable hands and won't be required to make 80 plus catches in a year, if we keep him at 50 or less he could be a threat especially in the red zone.

    That leave the 6th and final Roster spot, although Salas came on at the end of the year he is no Amendola, however this is a new coaching scheme and we'll see who fits their needs best.

  6. #21
    Trevor's Avatar
    Trevor is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy From Hagerstown, MD
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,296
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    We need to wait until they actually start to workout to assume anything!

  7. #22
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,132
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Some of the speculation on here is laughable. Locks are Brian Quick, Chris Givens, Danny Amendola and Steve Smith. The rest will fight, for a spot. I Think DX is almost a lock to make the 5th spot because he is a playmaker with dependable hands and won't be required to make 80 plus catches in a year, if we keep him at 50 or less he could be a threat especially in the red zone.

    That leave the 6th and final Roster spot, although Salas came on at the end of the year he is no Amendola, however this is a new coaching scheme and we'll see who fits their needs best.
    with dependable hands
    He does?


  8. #23
    mh-i's Avatar
    mh-i is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,248
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I don't see us getting a number one receiver from another team camp cuts... I know we are weak at receiver but we are not that bad.
    Teams will be releasing guys to gain cap space to sign draft picks and what not. You never know what's going to happen. Either way it's too early to assume anything.

  9. #24
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,434
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think at the end of the day we have :

    WR1: Brian Quick / DX
    WR2: Chris Givens / Austin Pettis
    SlotWR: Danny Amendola / Greg Salas

    Steve Smith in my opinion is overrated. I didn't like it when he was signed, and I like it even less now. 1 good year, cannot seem to shake off his knee injury, and is a slot WR only (all his big plays were made in the slot, and we have Amendola and Salas for that).
    I live in NJ and i watch many jets and Giants game and have no idea what so ever why you consider him a slot receiver. In his Giants days he had to earn a starting spot on the roster and he started as their #1 receiver and consistently beat his man for receptions weather it be in the deep middle of the field or not...We only have 2 proven receivers that can stretch the field and that is Steve Smith and DX...also Smith tore his ACL in december of 2010 and those types of injuries take about a year so by the time training camp starts he should start regaining his legs.

    IF healthy (HUGE IF) Steve Smith and DX are our 2 starters on the outside with Amendola in the slot...Austin Pettis is suspended for the first two games so why cant pup him or practice squad him not sure how the eligibility works for both transactions

    But here is how our depth should look:
    WR1: DX, Quick
    WR2: Smith, Amendola, Givens
    Slot: Amendola, Salas

    Pup: Pettis (just in case someone goes down in the first 2 weeks)

    Quick or Givens are not week 1 starters they need to get acclimated to getting seperation vs. NFL CBs...especially Quick who is comming from a D-II school

  10. #25
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,454
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I live in NJ and i watch many jets and Giants game and have no idea what so ever why you consider him a slot receiver. In his Giants days he had to earn a starting spot on the roster and he started as their #1 receiver and consistently beat his man for receptions weather it be in the deep middle of the field or not...We only have 2 proven receivers that can stretch the field and that is Steve Smith and DX...also Smith tore his ACL in december of 2010 and those types of injuries take about a year so by the time training camp starts he should start regaining his legs.

    IF healthy (HUGE IF) Steve Smith and DX are our 2 starters on the outside with Amendola in the slot...Austin Pettis is suspended for the first two games so why cant pup him or practice squad him not sure how the eligibility works for both transactions

    But here is how our depth should look:
    WR1: DX, Quick
    WR2: Smith, Amendola, Givens
    Slot: Amendola, Salas

    Pup: Pettis (just in case someone goes down in the first 2 weeks)

    Quick or Givens are not week 1 starters they need to get acclimated to getting seperation vs. NFL CBs...especially Quick who is comming from a D-II school
    First off, Brian Quick is NOT from a D-II school. Secondly, Steve Smith IS NOT a starter here. He shouldn't even be on this roster. He cant get healthy (Last year with the Pigeons he couldn't even beat out Riley Cooper, Chad Hall, or Jason Avant for playing time). He was a 1 year wonder. And yes, the year he did good he was a slot WR with the GMEN. Hakeem Nicks and Mario Manningham played on the outsides, and Steve Smith was a SLOT WR!

    Once again, DX shouldn't be a starter, and neither should Steve Smith. If they are, thats indication that 1) We have once again a weak WR corps, and 2) Bradford is in for another long season.

    WR1: Quick, DX
    WR2: Givens, Pettis
    Slot: Amendola, Salas

    No space for Smith, sorry.
    lostsoul likes this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  11. #26
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,434
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    First off, Brian Quick is NOT from a D-II school. Secondly, Steve Smith IS NOT a starter here. He shouldn't even be on this roster. He cant get healthy (Last year with the Pigeons he couldn't even beat out Riley Cooper, Chad Hall, or Jason Avant for playing time). He was a 1 year wonder. And yes, the year he did good he was a slot WR with the GMEN. Hakeem Nicks and Mario Manningham played on the outsides, and Steve Smith was a SLOT WR!

    Once again, DX shouldn't be a starter, and neither should Steve Smith. If they are, thats indication that 1) We have once again a weak WR corps, and 2) Bradford is in for another long season.

    WR1: Quick, DX
    WR2: Givens, Pettis
    Slot: Amendola, Salas

    No space for Smith, sorry.
    Idk if its a good idea just giving quick and givens the starting spot like that...lets put it this way Quick did not face the same level of competition someone like a Justin Blackmon did playing at Oklahoma state.

    Smith did line up at the slot for the giants but he made plays from the outside as well...no matter if he is inside or outside he beat DBs frequently and has made some nice catches by the sidelines. It all depends on his health thou if he is healthy he is a starter

    I just dont see how you just give the starting 2 WR spots to 2 rookies...One that has not played vs. NFL quality defenses and the other a 1-year wonder (something you label Steve Smith as)

  12. #27
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,132
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Secondly, Steve Smith IS NOT a starter here. He shouldn't even be on this roster. He cant get healthy (Last year with the Pigeons he couldn't even beat out Riley Cooper, Chad Hall, or Jason Avant for playing time).
    Smith's initial knee injury was in December of 2010, which gave him just eight short months to heal. Not to mention, the lockout prevented him from training with the Eagles medical staff.

    But now that he's been allowed to properly rehabilitate, there's a chance he could surprise everyone with his production.
    What did you think of his workout Sosa? How did he look to you? Fisher had this to say and then signed him.

    Rams head coach Jeff Fisher mentioned that they chose to sign WR Steve Smith after he put together an “extraordinary workout” for them.

    “First off, he’s a very first-class young man,” said Fisher, via the St Louis Post-Dispatch. “Overcame a difficult situation with his knee. The guy had an extraordinary workout, and has a chance to get back where he was in 2009.”

    Fisher seems to think that he’s capable of returning to his 2009 form when he was able to put together an incredible season that included catching 107 passes for 1,220 yards to go with 7 touchdowns for the Giants. Smith underwent microfracture surgery in 2010 and struggled to do much of anything for the Eagles last season.
    I also like the two rookies we drafted Quick and Givens but I don't think we will be lining up two rookies.

    I'm still only going as far as these three are locks. The rest will have to earn a spot IMO.

    Brian Quick
    Danny Amendola
    Chris Givens
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-07-2012 at 01:12 PM.

  13. #28
    OldRamsfan's Avatar
    OldRamsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fort Mohave, AZ
    Posts
    886
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    I agree with six this season , Not sure tho, None Imo except Danny had a lot of big problem last yr however did showed potential But not very much . Smith may want to prove he still has it . So it should be fun to watch , I'm really looking forward it .

    WR1: Brian Quick / Danny Amendola
    WR2: Chris Givens / Austin Pettis
    SlotWR: DX / Greg Salas

  14. #29
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,454
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    What did you think of his workout Sosa? How did he look to you? Fisher had this to say and then signed him.



    I also like the two rookies we drafted Quick and Givens but I don't think we will be lining up two rookies.

    I'm still only going as far as these three are locks. The rest will have to earn a spot IMO.

    Brian Quick
    Danny Amendola
    Chris Givens
    It's people like you that I laugh at, no offence. Just because Jeff Fisher made a move he is automatically correct.. People aren't allowed to question draft picks (I'm lookin at you NJ!) because Fisher watched more tape than them, people cant question play calls because Schottenheimer and Fisher have more experience, people cant question personnel moves because the FO spends more time with players than I do... If you're here to post :

    " What did you think of his workout Sosa? How did he look to you? Fisher had this to say and then signed him. "

    Than I'm sure no-one would miss you. We're here to talk, have our input on decisions and topics, and all you have to respond with is "Fisher did it, so he is right and you're wrong".

    Givens is pro-ready, he'll be starting day 1. Quick also has no choice but to start. If he doesn't, than 1) The Rams will get RIPPED for going on with another season providing s*** all for Sam, and 2) Quick obviously wasn't the right choice at #33.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  15. #30
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,132
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    It's people like you that I laugh at, no offence. Just because Jeff Fisher made a move he is automatically correct.. People aren't allowed to question draft picks (I'm lookin at you NJ!) because Fisher watched more tape than them, people cant question play calls because Schottenheimer and Fisher have more experience, people cant question personnel moves because the FO spends more time with players than I do... If you're here to post :

    " What did you think of his workout Sosa? How did he look to you? Fisher had this to say and then signed him. "

    Than I'm sure no-one would miss you. We're here to talk, have our input on decisions and topics, and all you have to respond with is "Fisher did it, so he is right and you're wrong".

    Givens is pro-ready, he'll be starting day 1. Quick also has no choice but to start. If he doesn't, than 1) The Rams will get RIPPED for going on with another season providing s*** all for Sam, and 2) Quick obviously wasn't the right choice at #33.
    It''s when you make statements like this
    steve Smith IS NOT a starter here. He shouldn't even be on this roster. He cant get healthy (Last year with the Pigeons he couldn't even beat out Riley Cooper, Chad Hall, or Jason Avant for playing time). He was a 1 year wonder.
    You have not even seen him as he recovering. Come on man. How about a statement that's a little more objective. You make it sound as if he is a waste of time! I would like to know where you are coming from with a statement like that. Maybe you where invited to the workout, why else would you say he shouldn't even be on the roster. Maybe you read an article that says he still looks like a guy that will not make it back.

    because Fisher watched more tape
    How about Fisher watched the guy in a workout that is recovery from a knee injury and said The guy had an extraordinary workout . YOU have not even seen the guy yet YOU are saying he can't get healthy. This has nothing to do with play calling or watching tape. Although I would give Fisher a slight edge in that department over YOU no offense.

    Than I'm sure no-one would miss you. We're here to talk, have our input on decisions and topics, and all you have to respond with is "Fisher did it, so he is right and you're wrong".
    Fisher saw him in person and you have not. I will go with anyone that was there you made such a harsh statement that the guy is a waste of time you must have been at the workout or have some inside info... if you have an opinion and you clearly do as you made a strong statement, I like you am here to discuss the Rams and had to ask what did you think of the workout...

    Givens is pro-ready, he'll be starting day 1. Quick also has no choice but to start. If he doesn't, than 1) The Rams will get RIPPED for going on with another season providing s*** all for Sam, and 2) Quick obviously wasn't the right choice at #33.
    IMO the Rams will not line up two rookies... I think Quick will have a chance to start but if he struggles he may not start. If he does not have a breakout rookie year does not mean he is a bust or the Rams made a mistake with the pick IMO.

    Walsh came to the 1985 pro football draft determined to win Rice's services for the *****. So sold was the coach on Rice that he traded up in order to select the young man sixteenth pick in the first round. Immediately Walsh took some heat for the decision, because Rice had not proven himself in the high-stakes arena of Big-Ten or Pac-Ten football. Walsh explained his reasoning in a Los Angeles Times feature. "Jerry's movements were spectacular for a pass receiver, no matter the level," the coach said. "Even a casual fan looking at him on that [Mississippi] team would have asked, 'Who is that?' We also knew about the long exposure he'd had as a receiver. He'd been catching 100 passes year after year. We felt that if they'd throw to him that much, and if he'd catch that many, he must have the basic instincts for the job."

    Rice's rookie season had a rocky start. He dropped a record fifteen passes, a feat not lost on the press or the fans. In retrospect, Rice blamed his early failures on the complex offense that Walsh ran. He simply had to learn the moves, he said, to the point where he could run a play without thinking about it. It is not at all uncommon for rookie professional players to stumble a bit, especially those who have not seen much top-level competition in college.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-07-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rams' Wide Receivers Remain Bunched Up
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -08-10-2011, 06:45 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: -05-28-2011, 10:30 AM
  3. Rams Expect Wide Receivers To Improve
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -03-27-2011, 04:54 PM
  4. Survivor: Rams Wide Receivers Edition
    By Dr. Defense in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -12-22-2009, 10:01 PM
  5. Simply put, the Rams wide receivers get it
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-30-2004, 09:45 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •