Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 52 of 52
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

  1. #46
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,570
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    While I certainly hope he starts as a rookie, let's say he doesn't, and ends up with poor/mediocre stats as a rookie (like... let's say... 21 receptions, 272 yards and 3 TDs).

    Then, after a year of seasoning, he bursts on to the scene as a second year player and really lights it up (let's say, 119 receptions, 1,781 yards and 13 TDs).

    Would he be the wrong choice at No. 33 then, just because he didn't start as a rookie?
    Absolutely not. The point I'm trying to stress is : how can he possibly not be a starter here? He will be.. trust me, Brandon Gibson won't be beating him out for a job ..

    I don't expect rookies to come in and light it up right away. Of course they take time to acclimate to the pro game, and learn, and develop. Thats exactly what I think of Quick. He'll be ok as a rookie, notching something around 45 receptions and 650 yards. My point being is if he cannot break the starting lineup with this team right now, what could possibly change over 6 months that'll have him playing HOF like? He'll start, hopefully he performs right away.

    If he doesn't for some reason start? Well, than our WR corps will probably be terrible once again. If he can't perform to the level of 2 WR's who were on IR last year, injured knees (never going to be 100%) DX and Steve Smith, and Brandon Gibson and Mr. Adderall himself, than something is really going wrong.



    THE DREAM TEAM

  2. #47
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

    We had Danny Amendola and then the old regime drafts two more slot receivers
    Greg Salas and Austin Pettis. Salas can play outside but he's not going to stretch the field. I still don't understand the logic with those two picks.
    That's because there was no logic to it.

    Looking back on them I've come to the conclusion that Devaney and Spags simply had no idea what they were doing.

    I am glad we drafted Salas though.

  3. #48
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,438
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You're DX argument is LAUGHABLE. This guy 1) will never even be 85% healthy, 2) so far has shown no ability to create constant seperation, 3) drops passes which shouldn't be dropped, 4) can only play 30 plays a game.
    im glad my DX arguments amuse because Your Chris givens arguments WR analysis amuse me

    First off i do not know where your great evaluation of Chris Givens came from...He wasnt even in your pre-draft WR rankings also here is why you said stay away from Kendall Wright and Stephan hill

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'd avoid both Stephen Hill and Kendall Wright. Hill is way to raw and will be a boom or bust prospect. People get too caught up in 40 yard dash times and physical attributes which are way to heavily overrated. Wright on the other hand I'm just not a fan of. He's tiny, and isn't particularly special at anything.
    Lets evaluate this you did not want hill because he was way to raw ...isnt Brian Quick also very raw...id go as far to say Quick has the most raw potential in the 2012 nfl draft for WRs

    Then you said 40 yard dash times are heavily overrated yet every time you talk about Givens's speed you prove it by claiming his 40 time...So tell me is the 40 time overrated in judging a player's NFL game day speed? If so i think we should stop talking about timed speed like so:
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    1) Givens is pro-ready because he is arguably the BEST route runner that came out of this draft (in competition with Blackmon and A.J Jenkins). Routes + 4.39 speed = pro-ready.
    Also you said we should stay away from Wright because he is tiny These are both players measurements according to espn.com:

    Wright: Height- 5-10 1/4 Arm Length 30.4 inches Hand Size: 8.5 inches Weight: 196
    Givens: Height- 5-11 1/8 Arm Length 31.2 inches Hand Size: 8.2 inches Weight: 198

    Every single measurement (as precise as it is) is within an inch of each other (except weight) so when it comes to size if Wright is tiny isnt Givens?

    But let me guess this argument is laughable because Givens runs such great routes it does not matter how small he is especially his hands...You do realize that Bradford slings the ball very hard for a QB so a guy with Givens hand size will need time to adjust to Bradford type throws right?



    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    How is that starter material? You know if he is consistently starting that there is definitely something wrong in the WR corps, and that its extremely weak. DX's speed is irrelevant. He doesn't have a great burst, can't plant extremely well, and he is held back from all of this because of his makeshift knee. If he wasn't injury prone? He would have been picked in the top 15 in the draft. I still want to keep him around, a nice situational deep threat, but the chances of him ever catching 100+ passes a season? Very unlikely.
    Where did all this burst and plant come from? You said Givens is your starter: he earned that title by being pro ready and im just sticking to your pro ready formula:

    "Routes + 4.39 speed=pro ready" Alexander has that 4.39 (well its really 4.4 speed if u wanna be precise) Alexander has had his moments with his routes

    Also when you say Alexander's makeshift knees are you implying surgically repaired knees because Givens has had surgeries of both his ACL's too

    And if Alexander is unlikely to catch 100+ passes a season (in Shotty's spread the ball around offense) i would like to know what givens chances are

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    2) Quick is a starter, like I've said several times. If he cant crack the starting lineup with a WR corps like ours, than he obviously was not the right choice at #33. That high we need someone who will be a great WR. Alshon Jeffery, Rueben Randle, Stephen Hill, and Ryan Broyles were all available at that pick. Ironically, all of those guys will be one of the top 3 WR's on their respective teams (#3 is Broyles, Randle).
    I am not going to disagree with you that Quick is a starter...However not from week one...I would love to put him in after we are fully confident he understands the playbook and his what he has to do on each play unless there is an injury i would make him start his first game at home vs. a suspect secondary i want him to be a confident player.

    And to be completly honest i can less about any other WR in this draft i dont care if Jeffery becomes #1 or if Reuben Randle beats our Nicks and Cruz in NY because they are not a ram...So personally i dont care about how any other drafted WR does for his respected team

  4. #49
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,570
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    im glad my DX arguments amuse because Your Chris givens arguments WR analysis amuse me

    First off i do not know where your great evaluation of Chris Givens came from...He wasnt even in your pre-draft WR rankings also here is why you said stay away from Kendall Wright and Stephan hill



    Lets evaluate this you did not want hill because he was way to raw ...isnt Brian Quick also very raw...id go as far to say Quick has the most raw potential in the 2012 nfl draft for WRs

    Then you said 40 yard dash times are heavily overrated yet every time you talk about Givens's speed you prove it by claiming his 40 time...So tell me is the 40 time overrated in judging a player's NFL game day speed? If so i think we should stop talking about timed speed like so:


    Also you said we should stay away from Wright because he is tiny These are both players measurements according to espn.com:

    Wright: Height- 5-10 1/4 Arm Length 30.4 inches Hand Size: 8.5 inches Weight: 196
    Givens: Height- 5-11 1/8 Arm Length 31.2 inches Hand Size: 8.2 inches Weight: 198

    Every single measurement (as precise as it is) is within an inch of each other (except weight) so when it comes to size if Wright is tiny isnt Givens?

    But let me guess this argument is laughable because Givens runs such great routes it does not matter how small he is especially his hands...You do realize that Bradford slings the ball very hard for a QB so a guy with Givens hand size will need time to adjust to Bradford type throws right?



    Where did all this burst and plant come from? You said Givens is your starter: he earned that title by being pro ready and im just sticking to your pro ready formula:

    "Routes + 4.39 speed=pro ready" Alexander has that 4.39 (well its really 4.4 speed if u wanna be precise) Alexander has had his moments with his routes

    Also when you say Alexander's makeshift knees are you implying surgically repaired knees because Givens has had surgeries of both his ACL's too

    And if Alexander is unlikely to catch 100+ passes a season (in Shotty's spread the ball around offense) i would like to know what givens chances are



    I am not going to disagree with you that Quick is a starter...However not from week one...I would love to put him in after we are fully confident he understands the playbook and his what he has to do on each play unless there is an injury i would make him start his first game at home vs. a suspect secondary i want him to be a confident player.

    And to be completly honest i can less about any other WR in this draft i dont care if Jeffery becomes #1 or if Reuben Randle beats our Nicks and Cruz in NY because they are not a ram...So personally i dont care about how any other drafted WR does for his respected team
    You're correct, I didn't want Hill because he was too raw. Quick, even though he is raw, people are overestimating it. This is what Greg Cosell had to say about Quick :

    "
    • The next wide receiver chosen, by the St. Louis Rams with the first pick of the second round, was Brian Quick from Appalachian State. The Rams selected him ahead of more celebrated and widely discussed receivers Stephen Hill and Randle. Quick was another player who, seconds after his name was read, was branded with those disparaging descriptions of “reach” and “overdrafted”. That resulted from two things: he came from a smaller school and he struggled early in Senior Bowl week against higher quality competition.
    Brian Quick (AP)

    Many will use the small school component of Quick’s résumé to suggest he will have a much larger learning curve to adjust to the NFL. Again, another myth tossed around as if it’s gospel. Watch any college wide receiver, especially one that played in a spread, and you will see limited routes. Justin Blackmon went to Oklahoma State, and he has no greater route running experience that Quick. They both played in spread offenses. In fact, studying both extensively on film, you can make the argument that Quick, who’s significantly bigger than Blackmon, is more naturally athletic. Quick is a very fluid and smooth athlete with excellent lateral quickness and deceptive vertical speed due to stride length. It’s not a stretch at all, when you analyze Quick’s physical and athletic attributes, to understand why the Rams selected him early. With his size and overall skill set, he has a chance to be the best wide receiver in this draft class. I know some teams saw him that way. Certainly, there are questions, and many variables will factor into the equation, as they do with any receiver entering the NFL, including Blackmon and Jenkins. "

    That right there shows that the only thing that Quick doesn't have that the top WR's in the draft did, was top notch opponents.

    Size isn't everything. I said in another post I would stay away from Kendall Wright because he is not particularly great at anything, plus he's tiny. Hand size has nothing to do with anything. Sure, you have bigger hands, its easier to catch, but you're seriously going to bring up hand sizes when it comes to evaluating starters? Givens reminds me and a few other people of Torry Holt / Isaac Bruce. He runs solid routes, has killer speed, and just makes plays.

    Alexander is fast, Ok? " Alexander has had his moments with his routes" What the hell does that mean? He's not a good route runner, stop trying to twist it up. The only plays DX has made here were 9's ... I can run a 9. Givens had surgery on his ACL's, in highschool. For 3 years he has been fine.. on the other hand, DX has had 5 surgeries on one knee, is injury prone, and to have him active on a gameday roster is a waste of a spot because he can only play around 30 plays a game, and no ST.

    Once again.. Schotty's offense is irrelevant. Put DX on any team you please, I'll guarantee you he can't catch 100 + balls in a year.





    THE DREAM TEAM

  5. #50
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,438
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You're correct, I didn't want Hill because he was too raw. Quick, even though he is raw, people are overestimating it. This is what Greg Cosell had to say about Quick :

    "
    • The next wide receiver chosen, by the St. Louis Rams with the first pick of the second round, was Brian Quick from Appalachian State. The Rams selected him ahead of more celebrated and widely discussed receivers Stephen Hill and Randle. Quick was another player who, seconds after his name was read, was branded with those disparaging descriptions of “reach” and “overdrafted”. That resulted from two things: he came from a smaller school and he struggled early in Senior Bowl week against higher quality competition.
    Brian Quick (AP)


    Many will use the small school component of Quick’s résumé to suggest he will have a much larger learning curve to adjust to the NFL. Again, another myth tossed around as if it’s gospel. Watch any college wide receiver, especially one that played in a spread, and you will see limited routes. Justin Blackmon went to Oklahoma State, and he has no greater route running experience that Quick. They both played in spread offenses. In fact, studying both extensively on film, you can make the argument that Quick, who’s significantly bigger than Blackmon, is more naturally athletic. Quick is a very fluid and smooth athlete with excellent lateral quickness and deceptive vertical speed due to stride length. It’s not a stretch at all, when you analyze Quick’s physical and athletic attributes, to understand why the Rams selected him early. With his size and overall skill set, he has a chance to be the best wide receiver in this draft class. I know some teams saw him that way. Certainly, there are questions, and many variables will factor into the equation, as they do with any receiver entering the NFL, including Blackmon and Jenkins. "

    That right there shows that the only thing that Quick doesn't have that the top WR's in the draft did, was top notch opponents.

    Size isn't everything. I said in another post I would stay away from Kendall Wright because he is not particularly great at anything, plus he's tiny. Hand size has nothing to do with anything. Sure, you have bigger hands, its easier to catch, but you're seriously going to bring up hand sizes when it comes to evaluating starters? Givens reminds me and a few other people of Torry Holt / Isaac Bruce. He runs solid routes, has killer speed, and just makes plays.

    Alexander is fast, Ok? " Alexander has had his moments with his routes" What the hell does that mean? He's not a good route runner, stop trying to twist it up. The only plays DX has made here were 9's ... I can run a 9. Givens had surgery on his ACL's, in highschool. For 3 years he has been fine.. on the other hand, DX has had 5 surgeries on one knee, is injury prone, and to have him active on a gameday roster is a waste of a spot because he can only play around 30 plays a game, and no ST.

    Once again.. Schotty's offense is irrelevant. Put DX on any team you please, I'll guarantee you he can't catch 100 + balls in a year.

    Alright I am just going to hit on a couple things...The main argument for Quick is his level of competition and the transition to NFL CBs...how is the guy gunna start right away because NFL CBs are plenty better than FCS CBs as you touched on his senior bowl struggles this guy is going to have a tough transition...also no one is doubting his physical ability and lets not try to compare him to Blackmon anymore the draft is over Blackmon and Quick are the same right now in terms of production in the NFL they havnt done anything.

    Also about that DX catching 100+ in a season; To me IDC how many catches he makes in a season as long as we move the chains and win football games...The Last time a Super Bowl Champ has had a receiver to catch 100+ passes is all the way back in 2001 SB (played in 2002) when Troy Brown did so we have had a whole decade of winners without having a 100 reception receiver.

    Also I would like to END it here this conversation is going absolutely nowhere. There are just so many variables at this time lol training camp has not even begun yet so at the moment we just dont know what each players health of playbook transition is.

    Let's just agree to disagree: I would like to start a rookie when he is 120% ready to step in as a starter and your approach is get him acclimated ASAP so he can start producing

    Differences of opinions both strategies have worked in the past im just looking forward to winning games
    sosa39rams likes this.

  6. #51
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,703
    Rep Power
    84

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    I have been in the office since 430am, so forgive me if i am hallucinating a bit while trying to catch up reading this thread. Did AV really project that Quick will catch 119 balls in his second year? That would certainly be great news for Sammy and the Rams.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  7. #52
    mcpeepants232003's Avatar
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: The Rams will probably carry six wide receivers

    this is my 6

    1. Steve Smith
    2. Danario Alexander
    3. Danny Amendola
    4. Greg Salas
    5. Chris Givens
    6. Brian Quick

    then after this year I see us trading Amendola and letting go of Smith. We'll move Salas in to the slot and Givens and Quick will compete for 1-3 with Alexander and Salas.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Rams' Wide Receivers Remain Bunched Up
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -08-10-2011, 06:45 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: -05-28-2011, 10:30 AM
  3. Rams Expect Wide Receivers To Improve
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -03-27-2011, 04:54 PM
  4. Survivor: Rams Wide Receivers Edition
    By Dr. Defense in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -12-22-2009, 10:01 PM
  5. Simply put, the Rams wide receivers get it
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-30-2004, 09:45 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •