Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rams win!!! 17-3!

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams win!!! 17-3!

Every QB will throw bad passes, so I don't have a problem with that. I just don't like the end zone INTs. Being that close we should at least finish the drive with 3 points.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Sam Bradford was 7 for 21...that's sharp? He got us into the endzone on 2 separate occasions, props for that!
    I have to agree; maybe we were watching a different game.

Bradford completed seven of 21 pass attempts last night. Three of those seven completions came on the very first drive, meaning he completed only four more the entire rest of the game. I don't see how that's sharp or him playing well. The drops I saw were not awful ones; in fact, I'd argue Sam wasn't helping his receivers on at least two of them, even if they were "catchable." Simply being catchable doesn't make them great or sharp passes.

I'll elaborate. Danny could not come down with a pass on what looked like a post route that was thrown entirely too high; no reason IMO to make him go up and get that ball. The drop by Kendricks was thrown behind him on the wrong shoulder; Mayock said as much at the time. The other drop I remember from Danny was an outstanding throw and would have been a tough catch but should have been caught; it's the one that Danny was injured on, I believe. Two of the three drops that stand out in my mind had as much to do with ball placement as anything.

As for some other passes...

-The deep pass to Amendola early in the game was underthrown; as I recall, Sam had a defender barreling down in his face, but that's an interception if Peterson turns to play the ball IMO. Fans are quick to throw receivers under the bus for drops, but let's give credit where credit is due when they make a play on a bad throw.

-On the second drive, Bradford bought time in the pocket only to try and force a ball to Amendola who was (1) blanketed by a defender and (2) short of the first down line. Mayock referred to it as a dangerous pass and a potential pick-six.

-Later in the first half, Sam misread zone coverage and threw a pass beyond a wide open Danny Amendola because he thought Danny would be continuing his route. Amendola was seen after the play screaming, "Zone!" because he recognized the coverage and knew how to play it - by sitting in the soft spot rather than continuing his route.

-The interception that Peterson caught in the second half was an awful desperation throw Sam never should have made given the pressure. He correctly identified the single coverage, but the desperation heave was entirely too far inside, putting Quick at a huge disadvantage and delivering the ball right to Peterson.

-During the 12-throw drought, there were some head scratcher passes as well. Anyone remember the replay of the ball that Sam threw to the dirt, which the announcers thought must have come out of his hand wrong because it was so poor, only for replay to refute that?

Look, I'm not trying to be overly critical of Sam here. The Rams won, in primetime, and they did it by stomping the Cardinals offense. I've exceptionally happy about this game, and in the shadow of a victory, these kinds of discussions can seem trivial and take the focus away from a win. I get that. I think Broken Wing and shower beers make great points in that the biggest thing to take away from this game for Bradford is that he came up in the clutch, and that's something we've seen at other times this season.

On third down on the opening drive, he brought time outside the pocket and found Kendricks for the score. In the fourth quarter, he completed a pass to Gibson that was called back because of penalty, and then on a longer third down that immediately followed, went right to Givens for a score.

Those are huge plays, and it takes a gutsy, resilient quarterback to make them. Too many times over the years have we watched the Rams crumble under adversity and lose their grip on a winnable game. When the chips were down, when the offense needed to help put this thing away, Sam came through. He gets all the credit in the world for that.

But my mindset is that if you're going to hold players accountable for their play, you have to hold ALL of them accountable. After completing three passes on a great opening drive, he only completed another four passes on the eight meaningful drives that followed. To sit here and hold the receivers accountable for their drops and the OL accountable for protection issues but basically ignore Bradford's mistakes by saying he played pretty well or was sharp or had a good night... I just don't get it.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JFMose View Post
    Was I the only one locked out of clanram during the game?

But awesome win guys!
    I was locked out of the site for the entire game as well...
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    I was locked out of the site for the entire game as well...
    I also could not access the site. I'd like to think it's because the Clan itself was somehow aware of the awesomeness that was about to unfold, and did not want us members to be distracted at all from the game.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Let's be honest here. Sam Bradford's last two passes to Amendola were ill-advised. On the one where he leaped and extended himself over the middle, Bradford could've gotten Amendola killed. Just a reckless throw. And although the last ball he threw him was pinpoint accurate, it necessitated a circus catch attempt which injured him. Amendola's greatest strength- his fearlessness and his grit- is also his greatest weakness in that it has gotten him hurt for extended time twice in two years. Bradford has to be smarter and not leave this guy exposed.

Bradford was under intense pressure, to be sure, and he is to be given credit for the two TD's he threw, but he did not play well. The end zone interception was just inexcusable- throw the damn ball 50 yards out of the end zone if you have to and you're under pressure. Kolb, on the other hand was sacked 9 times and got the absolute crap beat out of him yet still was able to throw for nearly 300 yards. It's time we start calling a spade a spade. Sam needs to develop consistency and be smarter. We see flashes of excellence, but plenty of times we see mediocrity. He was 7-21 last night on his home field. We have SF twice, Seattle in their building, Green Bay, New England and Arizona on the road. He needs to be better- along with the rest of the offense.

The good news? We're 3-2!! We won despite a poor offensive showing. The defense had an unbelievable night. There is individual improvement. We have a phenomenal punter and kicker. SJax ran with the drive and heart last night that symbolizes his career as a Ram. And Jeff Fisher is without question the guy to lead us to respectability and beyond. Let's enjoy these wins and where we currently are in the standings. It's only gonna' get tougher!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I also could not access the site. I'd like to think it's because the Clan itself was somehow aware of the awesomeness that was about to unfold, and did not want us members to be distracted at all from the game.
    I actually expect the forums to be closed every game day now. Dez, do your job!

THE DREAM TEAM

BM_Face is online now Registered User

We're 3-2! 3-2! Our o-line played just well enough to keep Sam alive and allow some great runs, but it still needs some work and/or bolstering. Sam will only live up to his vast potential when his is properly protected. Let's face it, Sam was hammered on a couple of sacks.

Our D is for real though. Long and Quinn are one of the top rushing duos in the league, no doubt. Gol' dern! Feels good to have a winning record.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Let's face it, Sam was hammered on a couple of sacks.
    Sam was actually only sacked once last night. It came on a 3rd & 3 play which called for max protection, a deep drop, and three intermediate to deep routes.

The Cardinals rushed six, the Rams had seven in to protect (five linemen, Richardson chipping, and Kendricks blocking in line). Richardson failed to slow the blitzing Cards defender up the middle before moving on to his dump off route, and Sam was hit at the end of his drop.

Maybe the hits/hurries numbers will tell a different story, but I really didn't find the Rams' pass protection to be a big issue last night. Perhaps I was comparing it to what the Rams were doing to Kevin Kolb, too. If I have time this weekend, I'll go back and rewatch. But I think in general, given what the Rams are working with on the OL, one-sack games shouldn't be taken for granted.
    shower beers likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Our boy Bradford is developing slower than expected IMHO. He certainly has the potential, etc., BUT even though some of those passes during the 16[?] slump of incompletions were on the WRs, that is still an awful long streak of misses!

Sure, those two TDs make up for a lot of sad scenarios in a QBs game (that TD bomb to Givens was just beautiful) yet, again 'BUT' ... it seems to me that SB still needs to loosen up and perform to the expected level. I've seen him throw some passes that just don't make sense, e.g., a pass thrown to the ground about five, seven yards short of the intended receiver. ANY and every quarterback does this occasionally, okay.

I believe in Bradford and trust that he'll make progress in the consistency department this year.

It was just great that the Rams D once again saved the day BIG TIME. Yeah! Rams WON!!! 17-3!
    I think this game is the kind of game that is needed in the process too become an elite QB. He is not going to have a clean pocket every game and needs to reach down and find a way to make enough plays to win. Bradford will have games where it all goes well, clean pocket time to make his reads and put up big numbers. I like the fact he was in a tough game where things are not going well and he kept fighting until he made the big play to close the game out.

I liked the fact he and Danny where going at it after Sam lead Danny and Danny sat on the route. We need to see that side from Bradford, taking charge during the game.

I hope Sam can stay healthy this year, he's getting better with every game he plays IMO.

I thought it was one of his best games as the leader of this team.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-05-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

One thing i noticed last night, and was extremely happy about, was Bradfords pocket awareness. He didn't play stiff and usually didn't just stand in one place while the pocket collapsed. I could tell from the first drive that he was going to move around, step up, and even run if he had to(which he did). I know he made some bad throws and missed some oppurtunities, but his awareness in the pocket was extremely good and was great to see it out of him. He showed the same awareness in the skins game but threw better overall in that game. I just hope he continues the rest of the season like that and not revert back to the tunnel vision qb he sometimes brings on game day.
    sosa39rams likes this.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Lets look at the 12 incompletion streak:

1. Drop by Kendricks, Bradford under pressure throws a little behind it
    2. Check down to Richardson knocked down at the line by Campbell
    3. Expects Amendola to keep running across field and he sits in the zone.
    4. Ball thrown into the dirt? Or it just came out of his hand funny
    5. Drop by Amendola over the middle on what would have been a 20 yard gain.
    6. Drop by Amendola down the right side (where in injures himself)
    7. Givens falls down on route - ball thrown right to him
    8. Drop by Givens on drag route across the middle
    9. Long thrown to Givens down the left, ball about 4 yards too long
    10. Incomplete on screen, Washington comes straight through the line, Bradford throws the ball into the dirt
    11. Attempted fade under pressure to Quick, picked off by Peterson
    12. Deep left to Gibson down the left, overthrown.

The only one of these I'd give Bradford a hard time about is the pick. He should have taken the sack or thrown it away. But for a lot of these there's not a lot more Bradford could have done.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    One thing i noticed last night, and was extremely happy about, was Bradfords pocket awareness. He didn't play stiff and usually didn't just stand in one place while the pocket collapsed. I could tell from the first drive that he was going to move around, step up, and even run if he had to(which he did). I know he made some bad throws and missed some oppurtunities, but his awareness in the pocket was extremely good and was great to see it out of him. He showed the same awareness in the skins game but threw better overall in that game. I just hope he continues the rest of the season like that and not revert back to the tunnel vision qb he sometimes brings on game day.
    I LOVED this too. That 16 yard scramble on 3rd and 15 was gorgeous. He also had a scramble on 2nd and 10 for 4 yards on the first TD scoring drive. Not to mention his beautiful rollout and TD pass to Kendricks. He looked terrific last night in that aspect. He has to continue to extend plays, help his lineman out, and progress his game.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I liked the fact he and Danny where going at it after Sam lead Danny and Danny sat on the route. We need to see that side from Bradford, taking charge during the game.
    Except it actually was zone coverage. When a quarterback takes charge, it probably helps for him to be correct about what he's telling his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I agree here, I thought Sam moved well in the pocket to buy time when he needed it. I liked the big third down run he took off on, it's a shame it was called back.

mh-i is offline Registered User

For me the real positive of the game was the Rams scoring 2 offensive TDs. If they can put it in the endzone 2 to 3 times a game instead of settling for the FGs we'll really be headed in the right direction offensively.

The sacks and pressure were awesome to watch but that's the 2nd game in a row that the Cardinals have given up 8 or more sacks. Some of it was them. The Rams had 6 in their first 4 games. That said, we totally shut down the run forcing them to pass more than they wanted to and the Rams D-line took full advantage of knowing what was coming. Giving up only 3 points is huge!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Of course, if Tim Tebow put up numbers like Sam did last night, the media would be talking about how he "won the game." Guess Sam doesn't have Tim's PR department.

Bottom line is that Sam is making plays when he needs to, and the Rams are playing good football. The stats will come in time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast