Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rams win!!! 17-3!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams win!!! 17-3!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Lets look at the 12 incompletion streak:

1. Drop by Kendricks, Bradford under pressure throws a little behind it
    2. Check down to Richardson knocked down at the line by Campbell
    3. Expects Amendola to keep running across field and he sits in the zone.
    4. Ball thrown into the dirt? Or it just came out of his hand funny
    5. Drop by Amendola over the middle on what would have been a 20 yard gain.
    6. Drop by Amendola down the right side (where in injures himself)
    7. Givens falls down on route - ball thrown right to him
    8. Drop by Givens on drag route across the middle
    9. Long thrown to Givens down the left, ball about 4 yards too long
    10. Incomplete on screen, Washington comes straight through the line, Bradford throws the ball into the dirt
    11. Attempted fade under pressure to Quick, picked off by Peterson
    12. Deep left to Gibson down the left, overthrown.

The only one of these I'd give Bradford a hard time about is the pick. He should have taken the sack or thrown it away. But for a lot of these there's not a lot more Bradford could have done.
    Okay, I'll bite.

The streak of incompletions started with 13:44 to go in the 2nd quarter.

1. Poor throw
    -Ball thrown well behind Kendricks to his back shoulder; Kendricks can't make the catch. Mayock: "Like to see it on the other shoulder, make it a little easier on Kendricks."

2. Good defensive play
    -Sam checked down to the runner and the pass was batted down at the line. Might have stared down the checkdown a little, but that's a very nitpicky quibble.

3. Poor read
    -Bradford misreads zone coverage and leads Amendola forward while Danny correctly sat in soft spot of zone.

4. Poor throw
    -Bradford buries this one. Mayock after replay, "I guess he just threw it in the dirt, eh?"

5. Questionable throw
    -Sam throws high and forces Danny to climb the ladder to bring it down. Catchable, but no reason to make it that difficult for your receiver when he's beat the coverage.

6. Drop
    -This is the play in which Danny was injured. Sam is well protected and puts the ball over the defender. Danny lays out to try and catch it but can't come up with it.

7. Bad route
    -Sam puts the ball on the money but Givens falls down during route.

8. Drop
    -This was a bonafide drop by Givens on the crossing route.

9. Good defensive play
    -Sam goes to Givens on the left sideline go route, but defender makes a good play and cuts Givens off on the route.

10. Poor protection
    -The Rams allowed too much immediate pressure on the screen pass, and Arizona blew it up.

11. Poor throw
    -This was the Patrick Peterson interception that Bradford just threw up for grabs. Mayock: "That was Patrick Peterson's ball the whole time. I really hate this throw." Givens was running wide open over the middle on the drag route.

12. Questionable throw
    -Bradford throws too far for Gibson on deep route down the left sideline that was well covered; Mayock points out that Kendricks had his man beat deep over the middle.

So during this twelve-play stretch, I count two plays blown up by the defense, two drops, one protection issue, one poor route, and six plays by Bradford in which I felt his throw or read was the primary cause of the failure on the play.

Maybe the distinction comes in how you view catchable balls. Is any catchable ball that isn't caught automatically the fault of the receiver? IMO, no, because it's more nuanced than that. In the case of #1 and #5, though they were technically catchable, ball placement was the biggest factor in why these passes weren't caught. It's easy to see a distinction between those two plays and, say, pass #8. Just my opinion, but thanks to a sick day from a stomach illness, I'm able to sit here and rewind each of these.

Again, these are minor points given the result of the game, which I think it goes without saying we're all thrilled about. And Sam deserves major praise for a number of things he did right in this game, the two touchdown throws especially. Coming back after this slump to throw the second touchdown pass couldn't be overstated in terms of its importance to the contest.

But if we're going to hold players accountable, then let's hold them accountable. That includes the guy throwing the passes, who IMO had a rough overall night but came through when it mattered.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-05-2012 at 12:11 PM.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Of course, if Tim Tebow put up numbers like Sam did last night, the media would be talking about how he "won the game." Guess Sam doesn't have Tim's PR department.

Bottom line is that Sam is making plays when he needs to, and the Rams are playing good football. The stats will come in time.
    Exactly, when Roberts was open down the field Kolb missed him, Bradford hit Givens in stride.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I think the cliche of "Give this guy time and he is as accurate as anyone on the NFL" is one of the most assinine statements in football. These QB's are the best of the best. There are hundreds of College guys, thousands of HS guys that all were the man thier whole life that never sniffed a NFL jock. If you are in the NFL, you can throw with TIME. What makes an elite QB, IMO, are the ones that can do it consistently regardless of time or pressure. Pocket presence, audibles based on defensive reads, etc. The guys on defensive line are pretty darn good athletes too and get paid to put pressure on the QB. In a perfect world, The QB would never get dirty. But reality is he will and needs to step up and make it happen regardless of situation.
    Last edited by macrammer; -10-05-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    Rammed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Okay, I'll bite.

The streak of incompletions started with 13:44 to go in the 2nd quarter.

1. Poor throw
    -Ball thrown well behind Kendricks to his back shoulder; Kendricks can't make the catch. Mayock: "Like to see it on the other shoulder, make it a little easier on Kendricks."

2. Good defensive play
    -Sam checked down to the runner and the pass was batted down at the line. Might have stared down the checkdown a little, but that's a very nitpicky quibble.

3. Poor read
    -Bradford misreads zone coverage and leads Amendola forward while Danny correctly sat in soft spot of zone.

4. Poor throw
    -Bradford buries this one. Mayock after replay, "I guess he just threw it in the dirt, eh?"

5. Questionable throw
    -Sam throws high and forces Danny to climb the ladder to bring it down. Catchable, but no reason to make it that difficult for your receiver when he's beat the coverage.

6. Drop
    -This is the play in which Danny was injured. Sam is well protected and puts the ball over the defender. Danny lays out to try and catch it but can't come up with it.

7. Bad route
    -Sam puts the ball on the money but Givens falls down during route.

8. Drop
    -This was a bonafide drop by Givens on the crossing route.

9. Good defensive play
    -Sam goes to Givens on the left sideline go route, but defender makes a good play and cuts Givens off on the route.

10. Poor protection
    -The Rams allowed too much immediate pressure on the screen pass, and Arizona blew it up.

11. Poor throw
    -This was the Patrick Peterson interception that Bradford just threw up for grabs. Mayock: "That was Patrick Peterson's ball the whole time. I really hate this throw." Givens was running wide open over the middle on the drag route.

12. Questionable throw
    -Bradford throws too far for Gibson on deep route down the left sideline that was well covered; Mayock points out that Kendricks had his man beat deep over the middle.

So during this twelve-play stretch, I count two plays blown up by the defense, two drops, one protection issue, one poor route, and six plays by Bradford in which I felt his throw or read was the primary cause of the failure on the play.

Maybe the distinction comes in how you view catchable balls. Is any catchable ball that isn't caught automatically the fault of the receiver? IMO, no, because it's more nuanced than that. In the case of #1 and #5, though they were technically catchable, ball placement was the biggest factor in why these passes weren't caught. It's easy to see a distinction between those two plays and, say, pass #8. Just my opinion, but thanks to a sick day from a stomach illness, I'm able to sit here and rewind each of these.

Again, these are minor points given the result of the game, which I think it goes without saying we're all thrilled about. And Sam deserves major praise for a number of things he did right in this game, the two touchdown throws especially. Coming back after this slump to throw the second touchdown pass couldn't be overstated in terms of its importance to the contest.

But if we're going to hold players accountable, then let's hold them accountable. That includes the guy throwing the passes, who IMO had a rough overall night but came through when it mattered.
    Damn you had to go and make my analysis look lazy

Yeah Bradford is accountable for his share of those incompletions but if those 5 drops/bad routes are caught then we're aren't here breaking down these 12 plays. Under the circumstances; banged up offensive line, losing a No.1 WR, no first half running game and all against a very good defense, I don't think Bradford did too badly at all.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Rams win!!! 17-3!

A WIN IS A WIN IS A WIN IS WIN IS A WIN!!!!

Look at all the niners wins from last year!!! 17-10, 16-13, 24-17.... I'll take any game that results in the W BABY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    In a perfect world, The QB would never get dirty. But reality is he will and needs to step up and make it happen regardless of situation.
    This is a valid point, and obviously based on my responses in this thread, I think Sam had his share of rough spots in this game.

But hand in hand with saying that is the fact that, in the fourth quarter in need of a knock-out punch, Sam delivered on a huge pass to Givens for a touchdown. He did in fact at that point step up and made it happen.

So, big ol' thumbs up to Bradford on getting that done in the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Damn you had to go and make my analysis look lazy

Yeah Bradford is accountable for his share of those incompletions but if those 5 drops/bad routes are caught then we're aren't here breaking down these 12 plays. Under the circumstances; banged up offensive line, losing a No.1 WR, no first half running game and all against a very good defense, I don't think Bradford did too badly at all.
    My apologies, TBR. My only intention was to make sure my thought process in commenting on those plays was clear.

Yes, had Kendricks, Amendola, or Givens made those catches, we wouldn't be talking about a 12-play drought. One could also easily argue that, had Bradford put the ball where it should have been on at least the Kendricks and Amendola "drops," then it's a moot point as well.

I think it just takes looking at each play individually and breaking down what happened. When Bradford makes things more difficult by putting the ball somewhere other than where it needs to be, he becomes the biggest culprit IMO, even if it's still technically "catchable."
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

=Nick;440124] Is any catchable ball that isn't caught automatically the fault of the receiver?
    Sorry to hear you are not feeling well... that said Yes, the WR should catch the ball when it thrown behind a receiver IMO. If you say its on the QB if he does not put it in the perfect location that a bit much.

Take Warner TD in the SB he under threw it but it was catchable as Bruce made the adjustment and made a play. Anyone can over analyze each and every pass and be very critical of location.
    I go by the old rule if it hits your hands you have to catch it..

Again last nights game was one Sam will not write home about but he did make enough plays to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Sorry to hear you are not feeling well...
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

that said Yes, the WR should catch the ball when it thrown behind a receiver IMO. If you say its on the QB if he does not put it in the perfect location that a bit much.
    The argument isn't for perfect ball placement, but accurate ball placement.

Throwing behind a guy rather than in front of him in the path he's moving is not accurate. In some instances, it would be necessary for Sam to throw high on the intermediate Amendola pass; play #5 was not one of them.

When the ball placement of a pass complicates the likelihood of a completion, then the quarterback shares in the culpability of the result of the play. The nuance is where the balance is, and that varies for everyone I'm sure.

Sure, a wide receiver should catch a ball that hits him in the hands, but if he has to leap to his peak vertical height or twist his body to the other side against his momentum to even have a chance at it, then I think the quarterback bears more responsibility.

Again last nights game was one Sam will not write home about but he did make enough plays to win.
    Agreed!

My apologies, TBR. My only intention was to make sure my thought process in commenting on those plays was clear.

Yes, had Kendricks, Amendola, or Givens made those catches, we wouldn't be talking about a 12-play drought. One could also easily argue that, had Bradford put the ball where it should have been on at least the Kendricks and Amendola "drops," then it's a moot point as well.

I think it just takes looking at each play individually and breaking down what happened. When Bradford makes things more difficult by putting the ball somewhere other than where it needs to be, he becomes the biggest culprit IMO, even if it's still technically "catchable."
    No need to apologise just having some fun. It'll be interesting to see how he performs against the Dolphins 1. on the road and 2. against a very poor pass defense (the first bad pass defense he'll have faced since week 2)
    Nick likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

But hand in hand with saying that is the fact that, in the fourth quarter in need of a knock-out punch, Sam delivered on a huge pass to Givens for a touchdown. He did in fact at that point step up and made it happen.

So, big ol' thumbs up to Bradford on getting that done in the clutch.
    Spot on point Nick. This puts Bradford in perspective for me. Despite problems and mistakes, where he could have easily gone into a shell or questioned himself, he fought through it and took care of business in crunch time. Anyone who thinks Bradford is in danger of somehow becoming psychologically compromised, isn't paying attention. There is no doubt in my mind that Bradford has "it", and that we're in good hands.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -10-05-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Nick and TheBritishRam like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Spot on point Nick. This puts Bradford in perspective for me. Despite problems and mistakes, where he could have easily gone into a shell or questioned himself, he fought through it and took care of business in crunch time. Anyone who thinks Bradford is in danger of somehow becoming psychologically compromised, isn't paying attention. There is no doubt in my mind that Bradford has "it", and that we're in good hands.
    It's encouraging that Bradford didn't have his "A" game, yet still found a way to win and make a couple of huge throws when needed. That's the mark of a winner. Hopefully, there's much more winning to do before it's all said and done.
    Nick and r8rh8rmike like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post

Alright then, I'll go with that! And Nick's too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123