general counsel is offline Registered User

Rams win- The good, the bad and the ugly

Its great to get a win. Its been a while for the squad. We are a long way from playoff contention, but at least the patient has a pulse. While i still cant get over the first seattle loss as the turning point of the season, no sense in looking back as we cant change anything that happened in the past. If Pace wasnt out for the year, i wouldnt be so negative on our prospects. Our remaining schedule is not daunting with the exception of the bears game, but our offense is so limited without the Big Man that its hard for me to believe that we can finish 9-7. I hope I am wrong and if i am, i dont think its out of the question that 9-7 gets in. A while back i said it would come down to the last game of the year vs. the vikings. I hope we are alive that long and can get on a winning streak. At this point, we need to continue to hope that the teams ahead of us lose, but at the end of the day, unless we win the rest of our games, we are a longshot and if we lose only to the bears, we have at least a prayer.

The Good

Its a win and given what has happened to our season since we started playing the good teams over the last several weeks, we will take any win we can get.
    We showed heart and fought back at the end to get it done. Best of all, we used almost all the clock so there was no time for them to pull a seattle like miracle against our defense.
    Tye Hill. The kid will be an all pro and it wont take long. His INT today showed great coverage and phenomenal ball recognition skills in addition to excellent hands. Ball recognition is the key will hill, his speed speaks for itself.
    Commitment to the run, even when it was less successful in the second half.
    The Big Boy. A dominant game for steven jackson. The only negative i could find was i think he missed one blitz pick up. He was powerful in the running game and showed great hands again. He is an all pro back. Get off his case everyone. We have lots of problems, he isnt one of them.
    Wilkins. Great kick at the end of the first half for money. it was the difference in the game.
    setterstrom. He more than held his own today, especially in the running game. His guy batted down one ball, i didnt see him make a single other play. I think the kid MUST start for the rest of the year.
    Mike Nolan. His decision to go for the field goal on fourth and one inch was incredible, given the way that gore was killing us. i think that cost them the game. The odds of us stopping them in that situation are about 1 in 100 at best. If they make that first down, even if they ultimately have to kick the field goal, we have to burn all our timeouts and we would have gotten the ball back with under 2 minutes.
    Bulger. not his best game, but a gutsy performance with suspect protection, except at the end when the line (or what was left of it) really stepped up. His throw to bruce on the last drive was critical. He missed an open holt for a td but he had to throw it earlier than he wanted to and he threw a couple of excellent deep balls to holt that got broken up at the last minute. His leadership at the end speaks for itself.
    Ferrotte. Gus threw two terrific balls, the one to bruce that was broken up on a great play and the one to curtis. Great job, got us three points which was the difference.

The Bad

Matt Turk was awful today. I think it was his worst game of the year.
    The injury to incognito didnt look too bad and he gutted it out, but he wasnt able to answer the bell at the end. I hope he can play next week. We really need him next week, he is an excellent center and improving. At the rate we are losing offensive linemen, we need to check on tom nuttens whereabouts.
    The pass protection. Its hard to criticize since we are desparately missing Pace and guys are out of position, but its impossible to throw down the field when he has guys in his face over and over. I thought barron was shaky against both the run and pass.
    Our tackling stinks. Carter stinks. We had guys stopped short on third downs and we couldnt make tackles. Gore was good (see ugly section), but our tackling is just pathetic with the exception of leonard and sometimes spoon and pisa. Throw in isiah on special teams, he is always around the ball.
    Bryant Young is an all time rams killer. He has murdered bulger over and over in the last three years.
    I may be in the minority on this, but i thought linehan should have gone for it deep in whiner territory at the end of the first half. We were running successfully and it was less than a yard. I dont see how we are going to win games with our defense by kicking field goals. If you cant make three feet deep in whiner territory against that defense, you dont deserve to win and if you miss, they have to go the entire field.

The Ugly

The four or five false starts and the offsides. The offsides on glover cost us a leonard sack. There is just no excuse for that at home, it has to get fixed.
    Our run defense (and the tackling). We have no presence of any kind right up the middle. Glover and kennedy get blown up over and over and we are giving up ridiculous yards per carry. They wound up around 175 for the game, right around our pathetic last in the league average. This is NOT a scheme issue guys. Last year everyone said marmies scheme stinks. We miss pickett who was by far our best run stuffer and we have no run stuffer at all. Kennedy is not getting it done. I am not sure on spoon in the middle, my gut tells me he would be fine if we had excellent play at the defensive tackle spot, rather than the worst in the league play we are getting now.

Up Next

The Big Dead comes to town, a game we have no excuse to lose. If we win, we are 6-6 and still alive, with a shot at a huge win vs. the bears., which could actually put us right back in the hunt. I am not suggesting its likely, but in the nfl, it really is a week by week battle and if we can get any kind of consistent offensive line play, a BIG if, we can still win plenty of games.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Rams win- The good, the bad and the ugly

i love the commentary i hope your right that we could string a couple of victories together

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

I didn't think Turk was awful, it wasn't his best game though.

GC you have to let go of Pickett my friend, he is going to give you an ulcer. We need you healthy here. With that said though, you are right about Kennedy and Glover obviously.

Good commentary overall GC.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Great job as always GC, i didnt see the game today,spent time with the kids so thanks for the summary.

Country is offline Registered User

The Good:

Steven Jackson is simply awesome.

The OL looked much improved praticularly Setterstrom and Barron.

The coverage of Tye Hill looked good to me.

A win and a bunch of NFC losses [Panthers, *****, Giants] mean the playoff hopes are not dead.

I thought that Jimmy Kennedy looked much better today then he had this season. He was the only guy who was attacking and standing up the double teams.

The Bad

Bulger did not throw that well, probably because of the hit.

The punting game was brutal.

The Ugly

The run defense and this is why
    -Glover and Fisk just got blown up in the running game to the point that Glover getting pancaked became a highlight play.
    -Spoon had some bad reads but with the number of OL around him that will happen.
    -Atogwe and Chavous could not tackle a toddler stumbling through the line.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Glover and kennedy get blown up over and over and we are giving up ridiculous yards per carry. They wound up around 175 for the game, right around our pathetic last in the league average
    I am not sure on spoon in the middle,
    I agree with this, weekend and week out. Glover is not getting it done.

I would do what the Hawks do; go after Young in the off-season. I know he is old and is a whiner. Buy he can still play at a high level.

Move Spoon to outside and draft or through FA get a bigger MLB.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

As bad as the defense was, the missed assignments, DT's getting run over, missed tackles, we still held the Whiners to 17 pts. Not bad if you ask me.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I said from the start, The D- line is the key! And again, we have no D- line! You can't expect the LB's to take every tackle. Then after while the DS's have to start making the tackles, then they get burned on the passing game! It's the trickle effect! We are still undersized on the line and we need to draft some guys for that line next year........Period! Urlacker is great but he has a good D-line also!:x
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Gosh it's only 1 day after a big win. I'm not ready for the ugly yet.:x