RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams' woes are in their structure, not Martz

By Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Oct. 27 2005

As the political muscle flexing, the not-so-subtle media courting and
    occasionally comic behind-the-scenes surprises continue to unfold inside Rams
    Park, let me say without hesitation that I am choosing sides.

I'm not a Mike Martz guy. I'm not a Jay Zygmunt guy. I'm not a Charley Armey
    guy. I'm not a John Shaw guy.

I am the notorious Man of the People.

And in my role as notorious MOP, I know that the people don't really give a
    hoot which one of these guys ultimately ends up coming out of this
    back-stabbing, throat-slashing, crotch-punching political scrum with the
    proverbial power football in their mitts. Power, schmower. All the people want
    is for the Rams to function properly again.

And as far as I'm concerned, firing Martz now, then believing his departure
    will solve whatever ails the Rams, makes about as much sense as putting a fresh
    coat of paint on a condemned house. It might improve the view for a while, but
    eventually the whole unstable structure is still going to crash.

This message isn't intended to contradict Bernie Miklasz's column in Thursday's
    paper. Actually, the message is intended for John Shaw, who seems to think the
    sometimes-paranoid Martz is the only problem with this dysfunctional
    organization. But for all of Martz's paranoia, if we eliminated him and all the
    other paranoid football coaches from the world, that would leave us with ...
    hmmmmm ... Mr. Johnson, my sixth grade boys club coach.

Heck, Martz isn't even the most paranoid head coach in Rams history. George
    Allen was convinced that little boys playing on a rooftop four miles from the
    practice field were subversives on the payroll of the Dallas Cowboys.

The truth is, Martz isn't the problem. He's a symptom of the real problem,
    which is a power structure that no longer works. Yet Shaw keeps stubbornly
    clinging to the belief that because this organizational setup has worked so
    well in the past, it should continue to work smoothly.

But this well-oiled machine that produced a 65-percent winners since 1999 when
    Shaw forced then-coach Dick Vermeil to make changes, isn't working so smoothly
    anymore. Martz began creating an enemy list of folks in the organization he
    swore were out to get him, or at the very least, were certainly not out to help
    him. Martz was wrong about a lot of those folks, but not about Zygmunt, the
    salary-cap genius and former close friend who somewhere seemed to think he knew
    more about football than Martz.

How in the world can Shaw expect the Rams to function smoothly when the top men
    in his organization spend every waking moment figuring out how to exploit one
    another's personality flaws?

The ultimate solution is something I'm not sure Shaw has the stomach for. If he
    fires Martz, than Ziggy has to share in the culpability for this disaster,
    which means he needs to be bounced, too. As we speak today, I don't think Shaw
    would fire Zygmunt. But things seem to change rapidly around Rams Park, so who
    knows where Shaw's attitude will be by the end of the season.

But I hope Shaw ultimately will regain the wisdom he had in 1999, when his
    sweeping changes led to the golden age of the Greatest Show on Turf era. And
    the first thing Shaw needs to do is establish specific guidelines for those
    prickly situations that often come up outside the doors of the coaches' box on
    game day. I'm a helpful guy, so I jotted down my top five suggestions of things
    that might be said by anyone in the Rams' organization who ever decides they
    absolutely, positively must get a cell phone into the coaches' box:

5. "Hey Jay, It's Charlie Weis. You taking MY calls?"

4. "Candygram ... Errrrr, Mailgram."

3. "Hi, this is Brenda ... Put us in the game!!! ... Ohhhh, I'm sorry, I
    thought this was the Arizona Cardinals' coaches' box."

2. "Hey Jay, it's Mike again. So on third down I'm thinking we should ...
    (click) ... Hello? ... Hello!?"

1. "Hey Jay, it's Canton calling. They say they want your game plan, the
    Chief's cell phone and Samir's knife."

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' woes are in their structure, not Martz

The Plain and Simple truth is that our Front Office is in total Disarray AND MARTZ HAS BECOME AN EASY TARGET.

The guys have a chance to lay the blame at Martz's feet and remove the Center of the Organization at the same time. This is a power move in a Large Power struggle. Want to bet the next coach will have a Lower profile, will be more likely to let others control drafting and personnel issues, AND will not make it public when the Football-guy-wanna-be's in the Front office make bad decisions or force the coach to do something that usually falls within the purview of head coach...

To me, it's a forgone conclusion that the next coach will NOT BE THE BEST COACH FOR THE TEAM, but the best coach for the front office.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    The Plain and Simple truth is that our Front Office is in total Disarray AND MARTZ HAS BECOME AN EASY TARGET.

The guys have a chance to lay the blame at Martz's feet and remove the Center of the Organization at the same time. This is a power move in a Large Power struggle. Want to bet the next coach will have a Lower profile, will be more likely to let others control drafting and personnel issues, AND will not make it public when the Football-guy-wanna-be's in the Front office make bad decisions or force the coach to do something that usually falls within the purview of head coach...

To me, it's a forgone conclusion that the next coach will NOT BE THE BEST COACH FOR THE TEAM, but the best coach for the front office.

Sad but true. When guys like Zygmunt start haging out in the coaching booth, the writting is on the wall.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Sounds like it's heading more and more in this direction.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

maineram is offline Registered User

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :down: :moon:

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

It does not sound good.

I have a little conflict at home that keeps reminding me of this situation. My dogs have been mixing it up for real lately. They know my biggest rule is no fighting and they have started three fights in the last couple of months. I am not pleased. I am overly sensitive to the fact that I have a pit mix in the pack and don't think that I am not affected by the media's portrayal of the breed.

I considered getting rid of Lee for a bit and it is still a possibility. I called a couple of the dog trainers who have helped me in the past. Apparently, with males only one can be alpha. The two dogs are pretty equal in temperment and attitude. The little pit tried to gain the alpha role early on and I knocked him down because he was a total jerk to Loki. I have continued to play favorites and have kept Loki as alpha. It has worked in the past, but seems to be falling apart now.

Now Loki is starting to get old and my favoritism is apparently causing problems since the natural adjustment would be for Lee to move into the Alpha role. My incorrect favoritism is causing conflict since I am going against what would normally happen with the pack.

The only thing that makes me happy at the moment is that Lee is always checking with me to see if he is pushing too hard. An evil eye can make him break off and shake. If he listens to me, I guess we can make it through this, the alpha role will be transferred, and the pack will remain content.

Females by the way switch alpha roles all the time. There is no set alpha. That is probably confusing to the males.

I have to wonder if Shaw has gotten caught playing favorites and has upset the natural power structure of the Rams front office.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Truth is offline Registered User

This has been a team without a true "head" since the death of Carroll R. Georgia is not a football owner, she is a beneficiary. The top end of this organization needs to be cleaned out. I agree that Martz and Ziggy will probably both need to go. Then this organization needs to do some real soul searching and planning in order to move forward in a positive manner.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz

The only thing that makes me happy at the moment is that Lee is always checking with me to see if he is pushing too hard. An evil eye can make him break off and shake. If he listens to me, I guess we can make it through this, the alpha role will be transferred, and the pack will remain content.

I have to wonder if Shaw has gotten caught playing favorites and has upset the natural power structure of the Rams front office.
    Interesting analogy. The observation I'd make is that at home, you are part of the pack. The only way you will have peace is through you having the unquestioned role as alpha dog.

Shaw is at fault if he has allowed a power struggle to emerge and fester. But then Shaw has always been at fault.

The solution? Dump all your dogs and get one like the one below. You might even try to find one to replace Shaw while you're at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Shaw is at fault if he has allowed a power struggle to emerge and fester. But then Shaw has always been at fault.
    You know I had one of those dogs turn on me as a kid...while I was playing fetch with her. I am not fond of Shepards.

I agree that Shaw is at fault. He needs to step up and be the leader for the Rams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]