Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Rams won't name a defensive coordinator ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams won't name a defensive coordinator ..

BY JIM THOMAS
    Thursday, March 22, 2012

Jeff Fisher will not name a defensive coordinator to fill the void created by Gregg Williams' suspension. Instead, it will be a group effort among Rams staff members.

"You know, we've got three former (defensive) coordinators in the building," Fisher said Wednesday. "I met with the staff today. Informed the staff when we got the news and told them that we will make the appropriate adjustments and we'll move on.

"I'm not going to name a defensive coordinator. Most likely it will be a collective effort. But we have a lot of things we have to sort out as you can imagine."

The NFL announced Wednesday that Williams had been suspended indefinitely for his role in the "Bountygate" scandal while defensive coordinator in New Orleans from 2009 through 2011. At a minimum, Williams will miss the entire 2012 season without pay, and then league Commissioner Roger Goodell will re-evaluate his status.

Fisher was noncommittal when asked if Williams would return as coordinator if reinstated by the league.

"You know, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it," Fisher said.

But Fisher followed those remarks with praise for Williams, who is one of Fisher's best friends in the football business.

"As I've said, we hired Gregg because of his ability, OK?" Fisher said. "He's very, very talented. And wherever he has been, he's put top defenses up year after year."

Fisher, assistant head coach Dave McGinnis and secondary coach Chuck Cecil have all had past experience as NFL defensive coordinators. Beyond that, they have all been trained in this style of defense, the so-called Buddy Ryan "46 defense" that helped the Chicago Bears win the Super Bowl a quarter of a century ago.

"We've got very talented coaches on this staff and we'll get the job done," Fisher said. "I've got confidence in them, I've worked with them. I know what they're about. This is a defense that's very intellectually challenging. We'll get the playbook and the scheme across to the players, and they'll be successful in it."

But who will make the defensive calls on game day? It could be Fisher himself, but he wouldn't say Wednesday.

"I'll remind you that the playbook that Gregg has, originated in my office. So I have a pretty good feel for the defense," Fisher said. "At this point, I'm not at liberty to say who's going to make the calls and the decisions, but it'll get done. It'll get done effectively."

Williams was Fisher's defensive coordinator for four seasons, from 1997 through 2000, when Fisher was head coach of the Oilers-Titans. Cecil was Fisher's last defensive coordinator in Tennessee, running the Titans' defense in 2009-'10. Interestingly, Fisher fired Cecil after the 2010 season, before Fisher and the Titans decided to part ways. And the defensive staff that will be asked to carry the load includes linebackers coach Blake Williams, who is Williams' son.

All along the Rams were hoping Williams' suspension wouldn't kick in until the start of the regular season. That way Williams could at least get the defense installed through the spring minicamps and workouts, as well as training camp and the preseason.

But Williams is out of commission immediately and is allowed to have no contact with anyone at Rams Park.

"Well, those decisions were made by the commissioner and we support that," Fisher said. "Of course, you'd like to have him as long as you could, but (Goodell) made the decision, so we'll move on. We've had a great start on the defense with the staff, and so on and so forth. The difference in a couple weeks is probably meaningless."

Fisher said it's unlikely the Rams will hire another defensive coach to help out this year. He also pointed out that neither he nor anyone in the organization knew Williams was under investigation by the league when Williams was hired in January. .

"I've often been asked behind the scenes: 'Had you known about it, would you have hired him?' " Fisher said. "Of course not. You're not going to go out and hire somebody that's going to potentially be suspended for an entire year. However, I know Gregg. I know him well. Gregg would not have put this entire organization in this position accepted this job only to be suspended and put us behind the 8-ball if you will."

Fisher was notified first by the NFL about Williams' suspension, and informed him of the league's decision.

"Certainly, the last few weeks have not been easy on him, anticipating the decision by the commissioner, because he really didn't know what to expect," Fisher said. "Yes, I would say he was somewhat surprised, shocked, disappointed, but also remorseful. He said, 'Look, Jeff, I made a mistake, and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have done that.' "

GameTime is offline Registered User

Re: Rams won't name a defensive coordinator ..

Anyone else concerned about not having one guy responsible for the defense? Bradford not having a QB coach last year seemed like a bad decision. Curious what others thought.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'm not too concerned if Fisher isn't and as he said, he has a lot of experience in the building.

Vis
    Vis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I'm not too concerned if Fisher isn't and as he said, he has a lot of experience in the building.
    On the other hand, the coaches involved can be hired away if being named DC is a promotion.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I'm not concerned but knowing that Cecil was Fishers DC makes me feel he will be the guy calling the plays, someone will take the lead. My concern if Williams comes back to the Rams will he be as effective as a DC and will the Rams always be scrutinized for the hits they make in games when and if he comes back.
    fearsome foursome likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

We will rally around Dave McGinnis and play great defense.
    laram0 and THOLTFAN81 like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Does it really matter? The defensive playbook is Fisher's anyway!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm not concerned but knowing that Cecil was Fishers DC makes me feel he will be the guy calling the plays, someone will take the lead. My concern if Williams comes back to the Rams will he be as effective as a DC and will the Rams always be scrutinized for the hits they make in games when and if he comes back.
    If the Rams play great defense under Cecil/McGinnis this year, even if Williams is reinstated for 2013, could be that Fish won't want to rock the boat at hat point .. We'll see. It would be a nice problem to have.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    If the Rams play great defense under Cecil/McGinnis this year, even if Williams is reinstated for 2013, could be that Fish won't want to rock the boat at hat point .. We'll see. It would be a nice problem to have.
    Fisher in his presser clearly made it sound like it's his defense it came from his office and we are ready to move on... I think if Williams returns will be based on how well we do without him, how big of a distraction will he be to any team going forward... that's a lot of suff that will follow Williams... but who knows look at Belichick he seems to get a pass and he is regard by the media as one of the greatest coaches. Too me he is a cheater and always be one!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Recent, related article...

Gregg Williams fallout: Rams take coordinated approach to defense
    Sporting News
    Mar. 22, 2012

ST. LOUIS—Coach Jeff Fisher could end up making the defensive calls in 2012 for the Rams, who found out Wednesday they will be without defensive coordinator Gregg Williams for the entire season—and maybe longer—because of his "bounty" rule violations with the New Orleans Saints.

Fisher will not name a new defensive coordinator for this season, and said it's highly unlikely he will add a member to the staff for this season. Instead, running the defense will be a collective effort among current staff members.

"You know, we've got three former (defensive) coordinators in the building," Fisher said.

Fisher is one of those three with defensive coordinator experience. The others are assistant head coach Dave McGinnis and secondary coach Chuck Cecil.

Cecil, in fact, was Fisher's last coordinator with the Tennessee Titans, running their defense in 2009 and 2010. But the Titans' defense struggled in 2010 and Fisher fired Cecil shortly before Fisher himself parted ways with Tennessee. McGinnis was defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals for five seasons (1996-2000).

Making the transition easier is the fact that all four coaches—Fisher, McGinnis, Cecil and Williams—are rooted in the old Buddy Ryan 46 defense out of Chicago. So are two younger members of the Rams' staff, linebackers coach Blake Williams (Williams' son) and assistant secondary coach Brandon Fisher (Fisher's son).

So even without Williams, whose suspension is effective immediately, installing and understanding the defense shouldn't be a problem for the staff. Williams hadn't worked with Fisher since 2000, so the system might have evolved since then, but Fisher doesn't sound worried.

"I'll remind you, the playbook that Gregg has, originated in my office," Fisher said. "So I have a pretty good feel for the defense." Putting together the weekly game plan will be a group effort, and Fisher isn't ready to say who will make the defensive calls on game day.

Fisher was noncommittal when asked if Williams would return as his coordinator in 2013.

Williams must first be reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Then again, if Williams was going to be fired, why wouldn't the Rams have done so Wednesday, when his suspension came down?

Coaches D. McGinnis > + > C. Cecil > + > = DC

Last edited by RealRam; -03-22-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Format

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I don't know how I feel about this. Its not even certain Williams will be back next year. Well, I'll have faith in their decision.