Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Rams WR Brandon Lloyd intrigued by Patriots?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Rams WR Brandon Lloyd intrigued by Patriots?

By Mark J. Miller

Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd will soon be a free agent and he's saying that he's open to returning to the St. Louis Rams. But the Boston Herald has it that when Lloyd spoke on PFT Live, "you could almost hear Lloyd light up over the phone" when the subject of the New England Patriots came up. The paper points out the Lloyd has also mentioned previously that he wouldn't mind reuniting with Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

"Yes, I find that very interesting," Lloyd told PFT Live when asked about the Pats, the Herald reports. "I would like to entertain that and see where that goes. There's no bones about that. I've been very successful in Josh McDaniels' offense, I really admire Tom Brady, I admire that organization and how they run things over there, so I'd definitely be interested in hearing how I could possibly fit into that equation."

All the Pats fans that were screaming about Welker dropping that pass in the Super Bowl have got a very good idea of how Lloyd could fit into the equation. He had 966 receiving yards and five touchdowns for the Rams last year.

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Rams WR Brandon Lloyd intrigued by Patriots?

Interesting Clan Rams called this first! I guess no surprises here.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

This article breaks no new ground. We've all speculated for more than a month at a possible Lloyd-McDaniels reunion and braced for the possibility of Lloyd leaving for greener pastures. I would love to see Brandon Lloyd and Justin Blackmon in our line-up. Those two give us immediate credibility at the position. And Amendola, Pettis, and Kendricks give us decent depth with a nice upside and the hope of offensive improvement.

That said, I'd say the likelihood of Lloyd re-signing is not good. Despite his "openness" to returning, I just don't have a strong feeling he'd turn down a chance to go to NE or somewhere else a more favorable situation exists.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Just as with smart businessmen, one word: leverage

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Don't go to the dark side, Brandon.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    This article breaks no new ground. We've all speculated for more than a month at a possible Lloyd-McDaniels reunion and braced for the possibility of Lloyd leaving for greener pastures. I would love to see Brandon Lloyd and Justin Blackmon in our line-up. Those two give us immediate credibility at the position. And Amendola, Pettis, and Kendricks give us decent depth with a nice upside and the hope of offensive improvement.

That said, I'd say the likelihood of Lloyd re-signing is not good. Despite his "openness" to returning, I just don't have a strong feeling he'd turn down a chance to go to NE or somewhere else a more favorable situation exists.
    The Rams need to go hard for someone, but who is going to be available is the problem. Vincent Jackson is going to be expensive, so maybe Dwayne Bowe could be the answer.? This is why it is so important, to be able to find your own players, and developing talent. It has to be deemed paramount. Which it looks like it has been, since the hiring of Fisher.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-21-2012 at 01:20 PM.

richtree is offline Registered User

Seems like Dwayne Bowe will be franchised.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Offer him a reasonable deal, and if he doesn't accept (which he likely won't), let him walk. LLoyd is a good receiver, but he's not a real game changer. I think he'd be a great #2 receiver, but he's looking to get paid and I don't think its worth it when there will be younger, cheaper players out there with more potential.
    THOLTFAN81 and Ram Mar Ram like this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

As soon as McD went to the Pats Lloyd said he was planning on following him there and then quickly backtracked to say that he loved working with Sam and he'd be happy to be wherever he was wanted.

In McD's system, he can be a gamechanger, and we saw what he could do this year when we could get the ball to him. He's a #1 receiver in this league in McD's offense. He continued showing that this year in Denver without McD, so I think he finally clicked. If we can get him reasonably, I'd love to keep him. Otherwise, I'd be happy kicking the tires of the up and comers, namely Meachem and Royal. They'll be affordable and could thrive in the right system and opportunity.
    I believe!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I believe it's fair to say that Lloyd is a solid #2 receiver. He's made some spectacular catches for us and bringing him back would certainly help us on the field. As others have said in several threads, we shouldn't overpay him - as salary cap wise, we would be better off investing in younger players rather than a guy who may not have more than two really good years left.

Brandon has every right to test the market, and this will likely be his last shot at some pretty decent dough. That said, if the Rams and the Patriots are the highest bidders for his services at the conclusion of negotiations, would anyone be surprised if he chose the Pats? I wouldn't be in the least. I don't know which team the Vegas oddsmakers have at the top of the list to win next year's Super Bowl, but I'd bet the Rams are well below the Patriots on that list. If the Patriots want Lloyd and offer similar money to Brandon as the Rams, I think the choice would be a no brainer for him. He is very comfortable in McDaniel's offense and signing with the Pats would offer him a better shot at nabbing a ring in the next couple of years.

How Billy Bellyache views Lloyd as a fit with the Pats is at this point an unknown. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, as Brandon won't the only free agent wr on the market. One thing that won't happen is the Pats overpaying Brandon ..

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

I would like to have him back just like the next guy, but dont overpay to keep him here, I like how the Giants approach there own FA's (mostly), they make no bones about wanting to keep certain players but they arent willing to break the bank and overpay a guy to keep him in uniform.

I'd agree with MauiRam as well, if it comes down to similar offers, he takes the Patriots everytime.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

If he's gone at least we'll get a compensatory pick.
    THOLTFAN81 and Rammed like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

He may follow josh to the pats, but if he does so, he isnt going to get paid a ton of money (relatively speaking). Darth Hoodie has made a career out of not overpaying anyone, and he isnt going to start with Lloyd, especially when he is going to try and keep welker. We will see how badly Lloyd wants to play with Josh because i believe he will leave money on the table to do it.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

^^^^

If the Rams and Pats offer similar money, or close enough money, he will choose the Pats every time. The only way he stays is if we offer him significantly more money than the Pats or any other team. And that seems highly unlikely.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

What I read was that Lloyd signed a new agent and that was a huge downer in his chance of going to New England. It meant he was looking for the biggest contract possible which meant New England wasn't his likely ending.

Lloyd is fine, he showed how desperate the Rams are for a quality veteran receiver but I hope they don't over pay for him. He's a possession receiver, he's not a game changer. Mark Clayton brings pretty much the same talent.
    Rammed likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast