Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rams WR logjam will create competition ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams WR logjam will create competition ..

5/12/2011 11:14:15 AM
    While they don't have anyone on their roster who could by any definition be considered a No.1 receiver, Mike Sando of espn.com reports that there are enough wide receiver candidates on the St. Louis Rams roster to create a lot of competition if and when training camp starts. Teams tend to keep between four and seven wideouts on their opening day roster, with six being the usual number. The Rams opened the season with six in 2010.

Jack-of-all-trades Danny Amendola appears to be firmly entrenched as the slot receiver. Rookies Austin Pettis and Greg Salas were drafted early enough -- among the first four rounds -- to qualify as likely keepers. They would have to struggle beyond reasonable expectation for the team to risk placing them on waivers before their rookie seasons. Veterans Donnie Avery and Mark Clayton will likely figure into the mix prominently if sufficiently recovered from injuries. Those are the five leading candidates for rosters spots at this point, at least in Sando's view.

Then there is a logjam for the sixth roster spot. Brandon Gibson, Danario Alexander, Laurent Robinson and Mardy Gilyard are all candidates. But if Dominique Curry bounces back strong from a knee injury, his value on special teams could come into play. The final wide receiver generally must contribute on special teams to justify a roster spot. He almost certainly must do so to factor on the 45-man game-day roster.

Many believe that the Rams will pursue a big-time wide receiver in free agency-Names mentioned have included Vikings receiver Sidney Rice and Plaxico Burress is a wild card choice once he is released from prison. Any free agency move will likely mean another pink slip for one of the wideouts currently on the roster.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams WR logjam will create competition ..

Unless DX gets injured he will surely get a spot for his deep threat ability. Donnie Avery should also get the nod, if he can stay healthy. Because he too is the only other deep threat we have on the roster.?
    Unless we are counting on Gilyard, who I believe will get a spot on the practice squad.
    Gibson should beat out Robinson in my opinion but my eyes will firmly be on the two rookies.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Who has included Plaxico Burress as someone we're looking at? Seems ridiculous that we would even consider him at this point, or ever.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Who has included Plaxico Burress as someone we're looking at? Seems ridiculous that we would even consider him at this point, or ever.
    Right on ...

Funny how Burress must be mentioned "...a wild card choice once he is released from prison."

One of my two wishlists for 2011 Rams WRs (pending a F.A. catch):

Alexander
    Amendola
    Avery
    Clayton
    Gibson
    Salas

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Right on ...

Funny how Burress must be mentioned "...a wild card choice once he is released from prison."

One of my two wishlists for 2011 Rams WRs (pending a F.A. catch):

Alexander
    Amendola
    Avery
    Clayton
    Gibson
    Salas
    u forget pettis or....? (not that I am a huge fan of pettis or salas but i have confidence in Dspags

For me:

Clayton
    Avery
    Amendola
    DX
    Pettis
    Gibbie
    Salas

Yeah I want 7.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I think this WR situation is going to prove to be very unpredictable.

If I were to guess, this is my projection:

Mark Clayton <resigned>
    Donnie Avery
    Denario Alexander
    Austin Pettis
    Greg Salas
    Marty Gilyard

or

Donnie Avery
    Brandon Gibson
    Denario Alexander
    Austin Pettis
    Greg Salas
    Marty Gilyard

Danny Amendola I am guessing will be moved to a team like Cleveland or Detroit. I think alot of what he does can be done by Salas and Pettis. Training camp and games will be very telling. If Pettis and Salas look to be getting it and making catches, Danny may be moved, probably before preseason game 3, especially if Avery and Clayton are healthy. He's marketable, but I think we've seen his upside and he is small. <fair disclosure - I love Danny! I'll always remember him getting body slammed in the Raider game and coming right back and going over the middle again.>

Gibson and Gilyard could be swapped, but I think Gibby's drops and 9.5 yard catches on 3rd and 10 will haunt him with the staff. Especially if Gilyard is healthy and starts at all to emerge. I don't think Gilyards rookie season is a killer for him, but his training camp will be crucial. I think he has to be as good as Gibson or better to beat him out.

If Clayton is not resigned, I think Gilyard and Gibson make it.

That is my guess for Game 1.
    Semper Fi!

thoey is offline Registered User

danny amendola i am guessing will be moved to a team like cleveland or detroit. I think alot of what he does can be done by salas and pettis. Training camp and games will be very telling. If pettis and salas look to be getting it and making catches, danny may be moved, probably before preseason game 3, especially if avery and clayton are healthy. He's marketable, but i think we've seen his upside and he is small. <fair disclosure - i love danny! I'll always remember him getting body slammed in the raider game and coming right back and going over the middle again.>
    blasphemy!
    Richbert88 and Ramendola16 like this.
    This space for rent...

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

do not blaspheme! do not blaspheme!

I want Amendola on this team

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Mark Clayton
    Danario Alexander
    Donnie Avery
    Greg Salas
    Danny Amendola
    Austin Pettis

These are the guys I see making it. Its very likely that someone will probably get injured again. That would make space for one more throwing Gilyard back into the mix.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Mark Clayton
    Donnie Avery
    Danario Alexander
    Danny Amendola
    Austin Pettis
    Greg Salas

Gilyard will be in the practice squad for insurance of any WRs getting injured. Curry will stay for his value in special teams. Robinson and Gibson will probably go to the Browns due to Shurmur's familiarity with them.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

There is NO way Amendola will be left off the roster.
    Ramendola16 likes this.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I think it would really be a mistake to trade Amendola. He was one of the few productive receivers we had last year, and he did it while often being double-teamed. Wide receivers is/was a weakness last year, and the Rams are in no position to trade one of their best.

Back on topic, I don't see Gilyard or Gibson making the cut. Especially over DX. However, as we saw last year, players go down in the preseason all the time so it's nice to have an abundance of receivers right now. It's another benefit of not putting all your eggs in one receiver basket too. If we have 3 or 4 guys who are fairly similar, it won't be as hard to fill their spot. I'd also be really surprised if the Rams spend their FA $$ on a WR. They just drafted 2, are resigining Clayton, and have Avery coming back (almost like a FA signing). They've got a lot more holes to fill

Trevor is offline Registered User

It seems like we are stock piling wrs to see what combo works best. I bet money that is what McDaniels is going.

BEER is offline Registered User

Ether you have our you dont. Competition brings little at this stage i think. Its not gave to you if thats what you want to call it, but D Jax has it, where in the biggest competition Avery would still be Avery. You got it, or you dont.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Trading Amendola is essentially trading our most proven, consistent receiver for someone who may (key word) pan out to be a slight upgrade. I doubt we could fetch much for Danny, and certainly not as much as he is worth to the team. Size issues or no, he has had success in this league, more than any rookie can say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast