Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams Wrap Scrimmage at Lindenwood University

Saturday, August 7, 2010
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

- Greetings from Lindenwood University as the Rams are preparing to hold their annual scrimmage. We'll be updating live tonight with regular quick hits from tonight's happenings and photos. Afterward, we'll have a video package with highlights and updates from coach Steve Spagnuolo.

- The Rams are about 15 minutes from getting underway. Stay tuned.

- Rams are on the field, warming up and doing individual work. As expected, RB Steven Jackson, RB Keith Toston, G Jacob Bell, WR Brandon Gibson, DE C.J. Ah You, CB Bradley Fletcher, S James Butler, CB Marquis Johnson, G John Greco, CB Ron Bartell, DE James Hall and CB Justin King are not dressed and won't participate tonight.

- OT Jason Smith is dressed but Spagnuolo said earlier today he would not participate. Will monitor it as we go on.

- WR Brooks Foster, S Kevin Payne and Smith are the only three previously named injured players who appear to be dressed and potentially participating.

- Rams doing individual drills right now.

- Underway, top offense against second team defense. A.J. Feeley is at QB.

- First play a gain of 4 by Ogbonnaya.

- Feeley hits Laurent Robinson for a gain of 11 on second play.

- Feeley finds Donnie Avery, who makes leaping grab for a gain of 6.

- Feeley hits hot read to Keenan Burton, who runs for a gain of 19 after catch.

- Feeley hits Danny Amendola for a 30-yard touchdown. Perfect drive from Rams top offense. Five plays, 70 yards and a score. Feeley was 4-for-4 for 66 yards and a score.

- First team offense still in against second team defense. Bradford at quarterback, though. Hank Fraley at center, Brown moves to guard with this group.

- Bradford hits Fells for a gain of 10 but Fells fumbles. Jerome Murphy forced fumble. Rams re-start drive at 35.

- Bradford throws dart to Robinson for a gain of 25 yards to opposing 32.

- Bradford throws gorgeous back shoulder pass to Burton for a gain of 22.

- Bradford rolls to the right and hits Burton for an 11-yard touchdown. Great start for Bradford. He goes 4-for-4 as well, but for 65 yards with the touchdown.

- The second team offense is in but Bradford stays at QB to face the top defense.

- Bradford converts a third down with a strike to Foster for a gain of 13.

- That will do it for Bradford. Null comes in. He finishes six-of-seven for 92 yards and a touchdown. Only incompletion was a dropped ball.

- Keith Null, on first play, hits Brandon McRae for a 60-yard touchdown.

- Second team offense, with Null in against top offense now.

- Drive stalls as defense gets three and out.

- Rams have switched to situational work, staying in live drills.

- Currently working on backed up against own goal line.

- Bradford hits Burton for a gain of 8 but Rams have to punt.

- Same things, Rams backed up at 2 with Bradford still in.

- DE George Selvie breaks through for what would have been a safety.

- The Rams have switched to thud tempo.

- Jason Smith actually is playing tonight, checking in at right tackle.

- Bradford's final numbers: eight-of-10 for 96 yards with a touchdown. Those are unofficial numbers, of course but that's all we have to work with.

- Rams working on fourth down and short yardage right now.

- Fendi Onobun gets his first catch, with a 12-yard grab and run.

- Rams back to thud tempo after a quick fourth down and short live tempo.

- Bradford hits Billy Bajema for an 11-yard touchdown in red zone work.

- Rams still working on red zone. Thaddeus Lewis just hit McRae for a gain of 8.

- Selvie breaks through for another sack. His first flashes in this camp.

- Bradford finds Darby for a 4-yard touchdown.

- Rams doing two minute drills to wrap up scrimmage.

- Rams start two minute drill from 37. Bradford at QB, hits Ogbonnaya for a gain of 5.

- This situation, Rams need just a field goal to win the game.

- Throw of the night from Bradford as he throws pitch perfect deep out to Amendola in stride for a gain of 53 yards. Safe to say the Rams will get their field goal.

- Null in at QB for a two minute drill. Rams need a TD in this situation.

- That's all for this evening. Great night at Lindenwood. Thanks for following along.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams Wrap Scrimmage at Lindenwood University

Bartell, Fletcher and King could be our top 3 cornerbacks and didn't play. Hard to put any weight on the QB performances with that considered.

Barely any mention of the running game. Either they didn't run many or our backups still aren't very impressive.

Glad to hear Selvie made a couple of plays. From what I've read, he hasn't shown much in training camp thus far, but he could be a gamer. Would be really nice to have one of those youngsters step up as a pass-rush threat.

One week until the Rams' first preseason game! Can't wait.

atcchris is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    [B][SIZE="3"]Throw of the night from Bradford as he throws pitch perfect deep out to Amendola in stride for a gain of 53 yards. Safe to say the Rams will get their field goal.
    Signature Bradford. Get used to seeing a QB hitting the WR in the hands, in stride, when it's called-for.

MACD is offline Registered User

Da**......

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Kind of a one sided game narraration. It seems to me this was all about Bradford and the Offense. Happy as I am to see Bradford do well, I'd like to know how everyone else did. About the only two defenders who seemed worthy of mention was Selvie with 2 sacks and Jerome Murphy with that forced fumble.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    Kind of a one sided game narraration. It seems to me this was all about Bradford and the Offense.
    It's a scrimmage and most of it was without tackling. What do you expect the defense to show?

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

Hey, OptoLamb.......at least us on the LeftCoast got something! About the only televised game I get up north is when the Rams play the 40Whiners......that's it! Hungry for any coverage, lopsided or not.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Wow. That is something I wished I hadn't missed. It's alright though. Everything looks in place and good to go. I just hope our injuries start to clear and that Craig Dahl can cover the hole made by James Butler.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Saturday, August 7, 2010
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

- Greetings from Lindenwood University as the Rams are preparing to hold their annual scrimmage. We'll be updating live tonight with regular quick hits from tonight's happenings and photos. Afterward, we'll have a video package with highlights and updates from coach Steve Spagnuolo.
    When will there be video? And where can we find it?

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Bradford looked real good, and most of the attention and focus was on him, it was obvious. Jerome Murphy was impressive from what I saw, but overall the defense didn't show a lot (I heard it described as vanilla).

I was impressed really impressed with Amendola and Burton tonight, both made some great plays. Avery and Robinson are #1,2, and those two may fill out 3 and 4.

Not a lot of running at all, it was extremely limited.

Adenjanyu also looked good and seemed to be around the ball alot.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Very hard to get a look at the defense with minimal hitting, but it at least will give the guys chances to work on technique and start to see things that will be coming in the preseason and then regular season.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    Bartell, Fletcher and King could be our top 3 cornerbacks and didn't play. Hard to put any weight on the QB performances with that considered.

Barely any mention of the running game. Either they didn't run many or our backups still aren't very impressive.

Glad to hear Selvie made a couple of plays. From what I've read, he hasn't shown much in training camp thus far, but he could be a gamer. Would be really nice to have one of those youngsters step up as a pass-rush threat.

One week until the Rams' first preseason game! Can't wait.
    You bring up a very good point about the DBs, but I'd take it a step further. Also consider that FS Atogwe was limited, SS Butler was out, SS Payne was dinged up but played, and DE Hall was out as well. The Rams were beat up on defense, particularly in the secondary, and it sounds like all three passers took advantage. How much one can gain or project based on that, I have no idea. As I've said before, I'm more anxious to see how the quarterbacks, Bradford in particular, respond to more realistic game situations.

Everything I've read about the running game is that it didn't look sharp and there wasn't much push from the offensive line. That's a disappointing report, because many people have started to come around on this OL unit this offseason. Obviously not having Steven Jackson in the line-up will have an effect, but this unit still needs to be able to make holes and create lanes. We're not going to run the ball the way we'd like if that doesn't happen.

I agree completely on Selvie. I haven't heard anything about him in terms of practice reports, but it sounded like he showed some real flashes in this scrimmage. Maybe he's a guy that just shows up on Sunday but doesn't make much buzz during the week, I dunno. If the Rams are going to make strides on defense, they're going to have to find a consistent pass rush. That means Long not only has to step up, but one of these young guys does as well. I like Selvie's chances more than the other two DE's we drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    When will there be video? And where can we find it?
    Since this recap was written by Nick Wagoner of the Rams' official website, I'd imagine that's where the video will be.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!