RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

RamsFan16's analysis: Rams vs Jets (Great, Good, Bad, and Ugly!)

I rewatched the game last night, and I've read everyones opinions, thoughts and analysis. And now it's my turn to chime in and post my comments and opinions, whether you agree to it or not...hense my OPINION

Anways, let's get started... also, I know it's Preseason, so don't load me with "it's only preseason", because I know.

Great:
    - Run Defense: Other than the reverse by Brad Smith where James Hall, lost contain. I thought our rushing defense looked great, Ryan, Gibson, and Thomas constantly held there own and wouldn't allow the Jets anything. From the 1st stringers to the 3rd stringers, they played stout and aggressive.

- James Laurinatis: I thought about making him good, but for a rookie MLB, he was all over the place, throwing himself into the pile, laying his body on the line, and was a key part of our run defense. As of the game, he looks good so far.

- Leonard Little: He showed why we kept him over veteran favorites Torry Holt, and Orlando Pace. With the first drive, he showed exactly why he's here. Providing a VERY fast first step, and the skills to play at a high level yet. One sack, and a forced fumble for the talented veteran. If he stays healthy, IF..., he'll have a really good year IMO.

Good:
    - Marc Bulger: Rather than looking all shell shocked after those sacks, Bulger actually stood in the pocket and was hitting the receivers in stride, making good, accurate passes. The pass to Laurant Robinson was a beautiful thing. When Bulger let that go, I was very suprised on how hard it looked thrown, and how far it carried, and he layed it in right perfectly.

- Samkon Gado: He had that huge run, and then several smaller ones and he kept moving the pile, while running tough and physical, he looks to have the 2nd running back position tied up. His blocking was very good, and even at Fullback, he was successful.

- Antonio Pittman: He showed what he didn't quite show last season, which was his speed, quickness and toughness. He had a nice 20yd burst and kept running tough and physical. The way he hits the whole is fun to watch, he hits it fast and hard (no sexual jokes please).

- Jason Smith: I thought Smith looked very good. He held up against the pass and was a bruiser in run blocking. He held up nicely against Gholstons bullrush, and played with a lot of intensity, and a nice, nasty mean streak. He's got to get his Pass Blocking fundamentals down, and he'll be a damn good Tackle for the future.

- Keith Null: I thought he looked very poised and confident in the pocket. Grant it, he's playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but for him coming from such a small school, he definitely showed what he did in college. Finishing with a B-E-A-UTIFUL touchdown pass to Eric Butler (If I remember correctly). Now with Bulger out, and a questionable Berlin, it'll be interesting to see how Null does.

Bad:
    - Kenneth Darby: He most have shown a lot different player in training camp to be so talked up, and liked. But on the field last Friday, he showed NOTHING. He was really bad in Pass Blocking, giving up two sacks, and did virtually nothing in the running game. After the game, Samkon Gado and Antonio Pittman now look to be the favorites for the running back spots.

- Justin King: Was beat badly by David Clowney on Sanchez's first NFL pass, and gave up a few plays throughout. After his strong showing last preseason and training camp, I'm sure this isn't how he had hoped to start out this season. He looked to be outplayed by Hill, Wade and Fletcher. Who all looked good, with Wade looking the best.

Ugly:
    - Adam Goldberg: I sure hope he isn't starting by the time the season starts, he didn't show me ANYTHING, and was horrid in the Passing game, getting pushed around and getting little push in the running game.

- David Roach: Whiffed on a tackle, gave up a touchdown.. whatelse is there to say? He looked UGLY out on the field.

And now, feel free to comment on my thoughts.

RamsFan16

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: RamsFan16's analysis: Rams vs Jets (Great, Good, Bad, and Ugly!)

Nice post, 16. Did you get a chance to watch Chris Long especially on passing downs. Been hearing some disconcerning stuff lately that he is not getting much penetration or pressure on the QB. Any thoughts on this?

BTW I believe it was Sean Walker that caught the Null pass for the TD.

WHAT SAY YE?

Ramer is offline Registered User

Good post! I also was really impressed with their run defense.

maxxdigger is offline Registered User

I remember thinking last year in preseaon that the 1st stringers run defense looked alot better than the year before untill the regular season started that is.

The rams have always been target of reverse plays because for years the have never covered those plays well. It seems like its been since londay fletcher left that the rams have actually covered on if the plays well.

I get my hopes up again that this year we come out swinging. But time will tell.

Last year people really harped on Antonio Pittman but it seemd like few remembered he had jut come off of having a broken leg when he returned to the rams. But I am glad to see him doing better.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

King needs to be in the ugly. He is the reason we had to here about sanchez for the rest of the night which is why i turned the game on mute.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Nice post, 16. Did you get a chance to watch Chris Long especially on passing downs. Been hearing some disconcerning stuff lately that he is not getting much penetration or pressure on the QB. Any thoughts on this?

BTW I believe it was Sean Walker that caught the Null pass for the TD.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I did watch Long play, and I'm not to worried about him. He didn't get a lot of penetration, but he was playing his arse off. I think he just needs to brush some of that rust off, and he'll be fine. It's Preseason, he'll be fine.
    RamsFan16

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Nice job 16. I agree with you on Laurinaitis. He doesn't look like a rookie to me and doesn't seem intimidated or out of place at the pro level. It's obviously still early in the process, but it looks like he'll make the transition with no problems.

I was also encouraged by Tye Hill. He did everything he needed to and from what I saw, pretty much locked down his side of the field. I'll reserve final judgement until he makes a few plays on the ball in coverage, but he looked much more sure of himself. He made a great open field tackle to boot.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Being a rams fan living in Manchester, England, its rare I get to see the RAMS play live, so thanks for the update.
    I listened to the game on the radio and come away pretty pumped up with the RUN-DEFENSE in the game.
    Here's hopeing it continues.
    Go Rams

diehard99 is offline Registered User

We stopped the run without Carriker. Does anyone else want to trade Carriker?

maxxdigger is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by diehard99 View Post
    We stopped the run without Carriker. Does anyone else want to trade Carriker?
    So wat you are saying is that giving up 102 yards rushing is stopping the run? Rams have a long way to go before they can claim that they stopped the run, Lets not get rid of players before anything is proven.

Right now we are 19th in the league in stopping the run lets see wherewe are after the falcons game.

maineram is offline Registered User

Wade - looked pretty good this game as the nickel and had a few nice stops in run support.

King - look at that long play from Sanchez again, King had his hand within four inches of that ball and could have at least tipped it if he had turned his head around.

Lauranaitis - Always around the ball when in the game, making a couple of nice stops as well as being in the pile with the assist.

D line - lot's of hustle by all, Long did get caught out of position on the reverse but wasn't pushed around as much as last year.

Pass Protection - Goldberg may not be an all-pro, but held his own under that blitzing defense from the Jet's. They just loaded his side and made the RB make a play......... they didn't on many occasions. Setterstrom looks to be gaining the form he had in 2006.

Gado - One game doesn't make an all pro but he did stand out in this one over Pittman And Darby for sure. First round goes to Gado with three more rounds to go. Don't count out Darby.

Bulger - Didn't stand out in the game but took three sacks and really didn't flinch the short time in. Nice deep sideline shot that was right on the money.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !