BEER is offline Registered User

Smile RamView, November 9, 2008

RamView, November 9, 2008
    From The Couch
    (Report and opinions on the game.)
    Game #9: Jets 47, Rams 3

J! O! K! E! Joke, joke, joke! The Ramsí two wins werenít reasons for hope, they were the biggest flukes in NFL history. Two weeks after dusting Dallas, they turned in one of the biggest embarrassments in franchise history against the Jets, a game in which they werenít competitive for a nanosecond. So much for 2008.

Position by position:
    * QB: Marc Bulger (6-13-65, INT, passer rating 29.3) was benched at halftime of this fiasco, and can stay there the rest of the season as far as Iím concerned. Iíve defended the guy for a long time, but after today, I canít take him any more. Whatís the cap hit if the Rams dump him? Seriously, will they be any worse off next year with Trent Green pitching a few until Graham Harrell or whoever is ready? 3rd-and-6, Ramsí opening possession, Bulger gets scared of a rush that isnít on him yet and rushes a dumpoff to Torry Holt for 5. Way to answer the Jetsí easy opening TD. Bulger threw mostly out routes, and missed about half of them. He missed Donnie Avery badly a few plays before Abram Elam WHACKED him for a blindside sack and fumble Calvin Pace returned for a TD. Of course Bulger never had a chance on that play. He missed an out to Holt by a mile the next possession, though. Late in the half he started getting away with forcing passes, then paid dearly for it with his worst throw of a terrible season, another sideline out, a long one with nothing on it, thrown into coverage, with Avery never having a prayer of catching, picked by Kerry Rhodes and returned deep into Ram territory. No, fumbles by Derek Stanley and Kenneth Darby arenít Bulgerís fault, nor the lack of a flag when Dane Looker was held on a 2nd quarter 3rd-down incompletion. Bulger hit a couple of good passes. He stepped up from a blitz and found Looker for 16 in the 1st and hit Avery with one of his good few sideline passes of the day for 21. But Bulger has made bad situations worse the last two weeks (if not more) with bad throws and bad decisions. Barely a year after I applauded a $60-million plus contract for him, the guy is done. Green also had a worse day (5-10-70, INT, passer rating 33.3) than I would have had doing nothing but spiking the ball (39.6). But I will say a few things in his defense. Heís markedly more composed under pressure. We rail at Al Saundersí sideline-heavy passing game, but Green manages to find receivers open over the middle. And his end zone INT would have been a TD if not for a good play by Kerry Rhodes. Greenís not the future. But I donít see Bulger as the future any more, either.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: RamView, November 9, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    From The Couch

J! O! K! E! Joke, joke, joke! The Ramsí two wins werenít reasons for hope, they were the biggest flukes in NFL history. Two weeks after dusting Dallas, they turned in one of the biggest embarrassments in franchise history against the Jets, a game in which they werenít competitive for a nanosecond. So much for 2008.

Position by position:
    * QB: Marc Bulger (6-13-65, INT, passer rating 29.3) was benched at halftime of this fiasco, and can stay there the rest of the season as far as Iím concerned. Iíve defended the guy for a long time, but after today, I canít take him any more. Whatís the cap hit if the Rams dump him? Seriously, will they be any worse off next year with Trent Green pitching a few until Graham Harrell or whoever is ready? 3rd-and-6, Ramsí opening possession, Bulger gets scared of a rush that isnít on him yet and rushes a dumpoff to Torry Holt for 5. Way to answer the Jetsí easy opening TD. Bulger threw mostly out routes, and missed about half of them. He missed Donnie Avery badly a few plays before Abram Elam WHACKED him for a blindside sack and fumble Calvin Pace returned for a TD. Of course Bulger never had a chance on that play. He missed an out to Holt by a mile the next possession, though. Late in the half he started getting away with forcing passes, then paid dearly for it with his worst throw of a terrible season, another sideline out, a long one with nothing on it, thrown into coverage, with Avery never having a prayer of catching, picked by Kerry Rhodes and returned deep into Ram territory. No, fumbles by Derek Stanley and Kenneth Darby arenít Bulgerís fault, nor the lack of a flag when Dane Looker was held on a 2nd quarter 3rd-down incompletion. Bulger hit a couple of good passes. He stepped up from a blitz and found Looker for 16 in the 1st and hit Avery with one of his good few sideline passes of the day for 21. But Bulger has made bad situations worse the last two weeks (if not more) with bad throws and bad decisions. Barely a year after I applauded a $60-million plus contract for him, the guy is done. Green also had a worse day (5-10-70, INT, passer rating 33.3) than I would have had doing nothing but spiking the ball (39.6). But I will say a few things in his defense. Heís markedly more composed under pressure. We rail at Al Saundersí sideline-heavy passing game, but Green manages to find receivers open over the middle. And his end zone INT would have been a TD if not for a good play by Kerry Rhodes. Greenís not the future. But I donít see Bulger as the future any more, either.

Do you ever wonder why you have negative rep?

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    From The Couch

Position by position:
    I love how he excused Green's Int as a great defensive play but Bulger's int was all on Bulger. Wonder what team Bulger will end up and end up once again proving to our front office that we gave up on yet another guy who goes to another team and is successful. The list of those players is very long.
    Just Fix It

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Do you ever wonder why you have negative rep?
    BEER is merely posting an article by Mike Francke who, until this year, used to post his reviews of Rams games here at the Clan. I don't see how Mr. BEER should be criticized for negative rep when he is not the author of this article at all.

BTW Mods what ever happened to Mike Francke's post-game reviews? Does anyone know why they are not available at ClanRam anymore?

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    BTW Mods what ever happened to Mike Francke's post-game reviews? Does anyone know why they are not available at ClanRam anymore?
    Mike has a ClanRam account and used to post his own post-game analysis. The last one he posted was I believe the season finale from last year. I'm not sure why he stopped posting them, but I enjoyed reading his take on the games.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    BEER is merely posting an article by Mike Francke who, until this year, used to post his reviews of Rams games here at the Clan. I don't see how Mr. BEER should be criticized for negative rep when he is not the author of this article at all.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Don't mind the ENTIRE article being posted ...

However, convienently, the only part that got posted was the part concerning Bulger. Yet another Bulger bashing post, that the poster didn't even write. Whats the point?

SICK OF IT ...

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Mike Franke's RamView as always right on the money, still the gold-standard for post-game analysis IMO. I agree with Nick in that I hope he returns to the board to post it regularly like he used to - I think it was almost universally well-received here. Would have preferred to read the whole article though and not just the QB section.

As far as BEER deserving negative rep for posting the article, that statement really speaks for itself and says more about RamsInfiniti than BEER. I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say something that ridiculous, if people got negative rep every time they posted an article that someone didn't agree with RamWraith would have minus about a billion - and the same goes for a lot of the other best posters around here.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Mike Franke's RamView as always right on the money, still the gold-standard for post-game analysis IMO. I agree with Nick in that I hope he returns to the board to post it regularly like he used to - I think it was almost universally well-received here. Would have preferred to read the whole article though and not just the QB section.

As far as BEER deserving negative rep for posting the article, that statement really speaks for itself and says more about RamsInfiniti than BEER. I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say something that ridiculous, if people got negative rep every time they posted an article that someone didn't agree with RamWraith would have minus about a billion - and the same goes for a lot of the other best posters around here.
    Not worth getting into it, so I'll leave this alone ...

MFranke might have stopped posting here because he's tired of reading the same, boring crap. Like it or not, I am - I find it to be more of a task than anything sifting through the mess on the boards these days - sometimes I don't know why I even take the time to post. No surprise people are leaving ...

Didn't leave him negative rep, so don't assume things, we all know what that does ...

Its a good post if he posts the whole thing - INSTEAD JUST ANOTHER SAD ATTEMPT TO BASH BULGER. HENCE IT SUCKS. Bad posts, and really bad posts attract negative rep ...

You missed the entire point of this thread....
    Last edited by Nick; -11-14-2008 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Let's try to be a bit more civil...

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Okie dokie, everybody take a deep breath.

The season is in the pooper, and everyone is looking to point a finger. Human nature. But let's just not point the fingers at each other.

Is it all Bulger's fault? No
    Is it partly Bulger's fault? Yep.

In fact, let me put it this way....

Is it all ______'s fault? No
    Is it partly _____'s fault? Yep.

But on the home front......we're all frustrated, but let's not take it out on each other. Thanks.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MFranke is offline Registered User

I've had technical problems for a while trying to post. Will try again this weekend, I haven't tried in a while. Meant to try sooner; I just let it get away from me.

On the post, I feel like I've been making excuses for Marc Bulger all season and it's just drug me down. I just got fed up. I felt like the problems last week were on him - throwing (in)accuracy, pocket awareness, decision-making. Granted, the first half turnovers didn't give him a chance to "redeem himself", but there I go again excuse-making. Hopefully he bounces back this week to where I feel ok making excuses for him again, or heaven forbid, has an actual good game. (Getting rid of him any time soon = dumb thought on my part because of the great big cap hit)

Bulger's INT was a terrible play. Whether a terrible throw, a terrible decision, or both, it was a terrible play. Avery had no chance at it whatsoever, and I haven't heard there were issues with Donnie's route, unless I missed something. (More excuses for Marc) Green's INT, maybe I misread the play. I thought 100% Avery was going to get it before Rhodes reached in and made the nice play. I didn't think either of the Jets around Avery had a play on the ball till Rhodes tipped it.

I'll try not to wait for Steven Jackson to be healthy enough to play before I post again.

--Mike

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Personally, and I emphasize 'personally'... I don't buy the whole rep/kudos thing, not on this board, or any of the other boards I visit. (Music, film, other sports, etc.)

I find it 'sometimes' has the potential to breed 'elitism' and create 'Cliques'.. Some individuals also develop inherent belief's that because they have a ton of posts under their belt, it quantifies some form of misguided superiority over others.

Oh well I guess that can just be their little secret can't it..!!

Can't say that I have experienced it here at clanram....Yet. Though I have elsewhere. On the whole though, I just come here to post comments about Ram football with other fans pure and simple..

Everyone deserves this 'rep' thing for doing just that in the current climate don't ya think!!

GO Rams..

Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post
    Personally, and I emphasize 'personally'... I don't buy the whole rep/kudos thing, not on this board, or any of the other boards I visit. (Music, film, other sports, etc.)

I find it 'sometimes' has the potential to breed 'elitism' and create 'Cliques'.. Some individuals also develop inherent belief's that because they have a ton of posts under their belt, it quantifies some form of misguided superiority over others.

Oh well I guess that can just be their little secret can't it..!!

Can't say that I have experienced it here at clanram....Yet. Though I have elsewhere. On the whole though, I just come here to post comments about Ram football with other fans pure and simple..

Everyone deserves this 'rep' thing for doing just that in the current climate don't ya think!!

GO Rams..

Sure thing, and much agreed. But there is rarely football talk on this board anymore. It's the same thing time and time again - either people bashing Bulger or pondering whether or not Jackson will play this week.

There is little in terms of analysis of games, there is little in talk of stategy going into games, there is little talk about what occurs during games. It's often people making blanket statements about the entire team, or certain players, often when they do not even watch the entire game, or any of it at all.

This used to be a place where I could take my time, write a very long and detailed post about just about anything, and start a lengthy and friendly discussion about it. Now, it has been reduced to one liners, bickering, and moaning, and complaining ....

It's just not fun anymore, and that makes me sad. I used to come here to vent and to talk through things, because there are good people here who are effective at making the best out of situations. I always felt better after a loss, knowing I could come here and vent and talk through things ...

That outlet isn't available anymore, because 75% of the posts are about how Bulger sucks and how he is robbing the team, and is the sole reason we are losing ...

Because, they are right, no? Let's put Green in there so we can finish 4-12, and then have no real idea going into next season whether or not Bulger is the answer. Green is DEFINITELY not the answer. There is really no point in playing him unless Bulger is hurt ...

I just wish things were like they used to be. This board used to be a wealth of information and knowledge. It's definitely not what it used to be. I shouldn't have to spend an hour sifting through all the garbage just to find the solid information I am looking for. Visiting this board used to be a fun little hobby, now its a job. There are reasons why people have 175 posts, a red box, and 0 rep ...

Now, I just have certain posters (ROD) so infatuated with me, that they take every possible opportunity to put me in the forefront of the press. It's nice to be envied ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -11-14-2008 at 12:31 PM.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MFranke View Post
    I've had technical problems for a while trying to post. Will try again this weekend, I haven't tried in a while. Meant to try sooner; I just let it get away from me.
    I think a bunch of us have had the same problems, there are a few threads over in the help forum about it. I know I've had problems logging on/posting/viewing the control panel etc. some error message keeps popping up instead. I guess they're working on it, I get less problems now than a couple of weeks ago, but it doesn't seem to be completely fixed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MFranke View Post
    On the post, I feel like I've been making excuses for Marc Bulger all season and it's just drug me down. I just got fed up. I felt like the problems last week were on him - throwing (in)accuracy, pocket awareness, decision-making. Granted, the first half turnovers didn't give him a chance to "redeem himself", but there I go again excuse-making. Hopefully he bounces back this week to where I feel ok making excuses for him again, or heaven forbid, has an actual good game. (Getting rid of him any time soon = dumb thought on my part because of the great big cap hit)

Bulger's INT was a terrible play. Whether a terrible throw, a terrible decision, or both, it was a terrible play. Avery had no chance at it whatsoever, and I haven't heard there were issues with Donnie's route, unless I missed something. (More excuses for Marc) Green's INT, maybe I misread the play. I thought 100% Avery was going to get it before Rhodes reached in and made the nice play. I didn't think either of the Jets around Avery had a play on the ball till Rhodes tipped it.
    I agree about Bulger, he just didn't look good at all, and it's been a while now since he's showed us much of anything (2006?). Green was a bit better and seemed to get things moving a little bit more and put us in scoring position a couple of times but the endzone interception just killed what miniscule momentum we had at that time. As you say Bulger's contract almost forces us to start him and there's no future in Green anyway. So I guess he plays the season out regardless of how he's doing with Green maybe getting a few snaps here and there whenever Bulger is completely failing.

The big question right now I think is: who do we pick in the 1st round next year (with a likely very high pick)? An OT (my prevailing choice the last couple of months) to secure the blindside OR do we pick a franchise QB to develop for a year or two (starting to warm more and more to that idea)?