Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MFranke

Thread: RamView training camp report, 7/30/2011 (Long)

MFranke is offline Registered User

RamView training camp report, 7/30/2011 (Long)

RamView, July 30, 2011
    Training Camp Report from Rams Park
    Afternoon Practice

So far, so smooth as far as the first day of Rams training camp went today. No significant injuries (but one scare), and the offense does not appear to be in over its heads at all with the new system. Training camp 2011 appears to be off to a good start.

Annual disclaimer: Observations are based mainly on 11-on-11, 7-on-7 and some of the position drills. I've been attending training camp for years now, but so much changes, and so much happens all at once, I'm resigned that I'll never get all its nuances. Stop me from reporting on it? Never! I just try to do so very carefully. Here we go, then...

* QB/RB: I all but ignored probably the most important positions on the team because the Rams are so set with who they have. Steven Jackson was worked very lightly, with Keith Toston the #2. Odds of Kenneth Darby coming back must be long, since they've re-assigned his #34 jersey. Jackson was thrown to a couple of times; checkdown-type stuff. Sam Bradford's long ball looked good; he did seem to overthrow three-four passes over the middle. I'll write that off to first day of training camp, new receivers, etc. I hope, though, that Sam won't throw the middle pass he threw to Danario Alexander in 7-on-7 very often. He forced it into a crowd, with Craig Dahl arriving right on time and another DB a step behind. Alexander came out the loser in a collision with Dahl, who didn't have a lot of room to pull up. In a real game, DX would have been a dead man. A.J. Feeley's the #2, of course, and Thaddeus Lewis is the clear #3 at the moment; Taylor Potts got maybe a couple of snaps. Lewis did make an incorrect throw in 11-on-11, throwing an out with his intended receiver running an in. Not that it was heated or anything, but I reasoned from his discussion with Josh McDaniels after that play that the mistake was his. You saw very little of that today, though. I was worried that there'd be a lot of receivers running the wrong way or balls thrown the wrong direction as the players worked their way into the new offense. Nothing of the sort. Things ran pretty smoothly for the first day of training camp.

* Receivers: A lot of Rams receivers made impressions today, and a lot of them were good. Brandon Gibson got off to a sloppy start in drills with a couple of drops, but made a couple of eye-catching plays in 11-on-11 and 7-on-7. One was a terrific diving catch over the middle; the other was a long touchdown catch where Gibson turned Ron Bartell absolutely inside out. Beat him by yards. Gibson and Danario Alexander tended to line up as the 1's. Alexander had kind of a scary collision over the middle with Craig Dahl (and his reward for it was to get scolded by coaches for losing the ball), and rode the dreaded cart out at the very end of practice, but that's being widely reported now as a case of cramps. Not a surprise given today's weather. Mardy Gilyard, Lance Kendricks and Fendi Onobun look like receivers the coaches are really working hard on. Gilyard beat Jerome Murphy for a long TD in 11-on-11, and really seems to have the coaches and fans pulling for him. He may have been the most targeted receiver today. He had one frustrating drop, though, and got called out for not finishing his routes sharply. It's still the best he's looked in a Rams uniform, though, even when wearing the shortest shorts on the team. I didn't notice that the tight ends were targeted that much. Emphasis seemed to be more on them getting to the right spot at the right time on running plays and running clear-out routes for the other receivers correctly. Onobun did have a forehead-smacking drop of a 5-yard pass in 7-on-7. Kendricks' head may be swimming a bit right now. It seemed like a triumph just to get him going in motion the proper way. Greg Salas looks like a very smooth, very natural receiver, and if there is a football Austin Pettis can't catch, I didn't see it. He had all kinds of balls thrown behind him or outside his frame and he snagged every single one. Donnie Avery does appear to have his old speed back, and little (5'8”) Andrew Hawkins caught everything thrown to him. Kicking it to him, that's another issue. With early positive showings from guys down the depth chart like Gibson and Gilyard, this year's camp competition at wide receiver promises to be epic.

* O-line/Defense: With Harvey Dahl, John Greco, and the apparently returning-but-never-really-left Jacob Bell legally unavailable to practice till the 4th, Drew Miller and Ryan McKee stood in as the first unit guards amidst Jason Smith, Jason Brown and Rodger Saffold. Darell Scott drew a starting tackle position on the d-line, along with Fred Robbins, flanked by Chris Long (yes, now wearing #91) and James Hall. Bryan Kehl was first unit Will, lining up with James Laurinaitis and Na'il Diggs. With no pads today, there were no offense vs. defense protection drills, so there's not a ton of good evaluating I can do here. Eugene Sims would have had a sack in 11-on-11. Rookie free agent Teryl White would have scored a huge tackle-for-loss, but I don't think anyone blocked him. Hall was pretty consistently jumping the tight end's blocks on running plays and was happy to let them know about it. Looks like he's ready to start the season today. The most interesting activity for the linemen today was a drill on a far field where one lineman would carry the ball and another lineman would try to strip him. Sounds silly until you remember Steve Breaston stripping Cliff Ryan at the goal line last year. George Selvie actually forced a fumble during this drill. Craig Dahl caught a RB (may have been Toston) running out one play unaware and stripped him of the ball. Believe he and Darian Stewart were the starting safeties. Didn't see James Butler at all. Dahl had a big collision over the middle with Alexander, but Jermale Hines, wearing O.J. Atogwe's #21, probably had the hit of the day, I think on Gilyard. Unfortunately, this was supposed to be a no-contact practice. Jerome Murphy and Justin King were the 2's at corner behind Ron Bartell and Bradley Fletcher. I've already mentioned Murphy and Bartell getting beaten deep. To be fair and balanced, there's no way for me to tell on those plays if there was a breakdown in coverage (though I don't think so) or if the defense was supposed to be going all out on the play. A lot of drills, they're specifically instructed to let the offense make the play, so to finish this copout, grading the defense from a no-contact practice is probably asking for trouble.

* Special teams: Josh Brown appeared to hit every FG he tried, most from around 40 yards. He might have missed once in about 15-16 tries. Donnie Jones got his usual moon shots flying once he got loose. Gilyard got the most work fielding punts; Murphy and Andrew Hawkins also got work. Basically, we'll be a lot better off when Danny Amendola's permitted to go. Punting drills were at the beginning and end of practice. In the second session, Gilyard had two go right through his arms before he got into a groove. Hawkins had a just unfortunate finish to what had been a nice day. He had been catching everything in passing drills, but in this last punt drill, muffed almost every kick that came to him. Gilyard ended up getting a lot of Hawkins' reps. Salas and Eddie Wide are the two I remember getting kickoff return reps. There was also a lot of work for gunners, as the coaches worked them out on when and how to arrive at the returner. Mikail Baker appears to be getting worked into the mix pretty early there.

* Coaching: Remember me complaining last year about whole practices being nothing but two-yard passes? Well, that has changed just a little bit. The offense ran 3-WR plays, 4-WR plays, 3-WR plays with Jackson and the tight end in the pattern, and all with very little dumpoff and checkdown stuff. I'm not talking 1970s-Raiders here, but Josh McDaniels is going to let Sam Bradford throw downfield, and that? Is a good thing. McDaniels is very involved in the offense, naturally, not just tutoring the QBs but instructing the wideouts how he wants them to finish their routes. And the man is versatile – he was pass-rushing Bradford during one drill. I believe during one drill, the coaches were shouting signals during the routes to force the QBs and receivers to adjust on the fly, and the offense tended to get it right. Tight ends coach Frank Leonard is a real hoot, easily the most vocal of the coaches. He would cheer players getting the right explosion out of their stances like he'd just won the lottery. And if you heard this once today, from Leonard and others, you heard it a thousand times: “High and tight!” The coaches really emphasized ball security, with the receivers and with special teams. They yelled it so often I started making sure to hold my camera high and tight on the sidelines. The coaches are really into the details, too. The tight ends got a lot of coaching on how to go into motion, and at the start of the practice, it appeared they were instructing players on how to take their stances.

* Cheers: It rained for at least an hour just before practice, which held temperatures down in the 80s but also held the crowd down to under 500 for sure. I'm thinking more like 300. Best viewing location today was on the rail all the way past the bleachers across from the main building. Saw just about everything I wanted to there. (The problem is remembering it all.) Security is checking for video cameras, by the way, so don't get cute. From the parking beanfield, they're routing fans through the team parking lot and had some kid-friendly attractions (and souvenir stand) set up there; too bad the rain put a damper on things today. Offensive linemen and tight ends signed autographs post-practice, which is when I figured out reports of Jacob Bell's departure had been quite exaggerated.

* What's next?: My only remaining training camp report will be from the annual scrimmage at Lindenwood, set for next Sunday morning. Some real contact should give a better indication of how the Rams are developing.

High and tight!

-- Mike
    Goldenfleece likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: RamView training camp report, 7/30/2011 (Long)

Nice job as always Mike. Keep 'em coming.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Can I just say how GREAT it is to be hearing about some football again!?!?

Thanks Mike!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Nice job man thanks for putting in all the effort. It was great to hear about how the Rams are doing from a fellow clan member.

Edit: Your not kidding Barbq my mouth was watering the whole time. Makes me mad we would be seeing some kind of football next weekend but not anymore....
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -07-31-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Great stuff as always, Mike. Love the idea of a "Ryan Drill" becoming part of the team's workouts. Had to chuckle.
    Must have been fun to see all the teaching stuff going on. I assume a lot of that usually gets done in the OTAs which fewer, if any, attend.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

You're not allowed to video tape at these practices? Weird.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You're not allowed to video tape at these practices? Weird.
    Well, with McDaniels as a part of the coaching staff ...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Well, with McDaniels as a part of the coaching staff ...
    Ahahahah! Clever Bar-bq, you're one clever man.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

The video taping crew was in Foxboro today. fyi

snackdaddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    The video taping crew was in Foxboro today. fyi
    Something called Karma?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Good to hear Gilyard is making a real fist of it. Ive noticed the same thing with Sammy B, forcing the ball into places where it will get the receiver killed. Some off the dump off passes to Jackson last year should not have been thrown, it was obvious SJ was going no where after making the catch.!