• 2 Post By bruce4life
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By RamFan_Til_I_Die
  • 1 Post By TekeRam
  • 2 Post By punahou

Thread: A random stat... and what it has to do with the Rams

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

A random stat... and what it has to do with the Rams

Are the Rams as bad as they looked on Sunday?

That seems to be the question on everyone's mind at this point.

Its a hard question to answer. Certainly, there are aspects of the Rams' first three games that seem like possible negative trends (inept running game, poor pass coverage). But are these examples of slumps, or long-term weaknesses?

I have only one answer: I don't know.

The reason why I don't know is that three games is too small a sample to draw clear conclusions.

Don't agree?

Well... here's my random stat.

The NFL's "Final Four" from 2012 currently has a combined record of 7-5.

That's right... the four teams that played for a chance at the Super Bowl last January are barely above .500. In fact, if you take away the 3-0 Patriots (who have not exactly looked like world beaters in defeating the Bills, Jets and Bucs), and the remaining three have a record of 4-5.

Does that mean that the top teams from last year have all regressed? I don't think so, and I think most would agree that its just too soon to tell.

The Rams have an opportunity this Thursday to play against a division rival in St. Louis. If the Rams win, and find themselves back at .500, with a 2-0 record in the NFC West, and a very winnable home game against the Jaguars coming up, I think most will start to forget last Sunday's debacle.

Will that happen? Again... I don't know. But I believe it can happen, and I'll be glued to my TV on Thursday to find out if it does.
    laram0, mde8352gorams and punahou like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: A random stat... and what it has to do with the Rams

I say no.

In fact I say we could finish this year with a record of 6-10 and we could possibly be a better team than last year.

Teams that where good last year means nothing going into this year IMO. Teams change about 30% of their roster every year. Look at the Ravens, heck look at us how many new starters we have this year? "Each year is a new year and each situation is a totally different situation. We're scratching and fighting to try to find answers," Coughlin said. Yeah not Fish but another teams head coach that got pounded.

It did not take long for last years favorite, forty whiners to find out that they don't have a E ticket to the super bowl.

I don't know whats going to happen but I think our players will be up for it Thursday night it is the hated whiners.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I thought of an old saying my Father used to tell me when I was growing up when I told him hey well other people are doing it, or my friends are going to the movies why can't I go. My Dad would would tell me all the time, " Son, I do not care what other people are doing, they're not my son." The niners, patriots, ravens, and falcons are not the teams we rout for, therefore why should I care they have a combined 7-5 record. Plain and simple, the Rams have played below average at best through 3 games of the season.

Can they turn the season around... Yes... We will see Thursday Mr.AvengerRam
    macrammer and rNemesis like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It was certainly a strange week of games.

Colts 27 Whiners 7
    Panthers 38 Giants 0
    Browns beat the Vikings in Minnesota with a 3rd string QB and no 1st string runningback.
    The Bengals overcome a huge deficit to beat the Packers
    The Titans beat the Chargers with TD pass with less than a minute to go in the game.
    The Dolphins beat the Falcons with a TD pass with less than a minute to go.
    The Ravens hammered the Texans.

I don't know if this helps ease the pain at all but as you can see above it was a very strange week 3 in the NFL.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

I have a feeling we will lose this game and make the Jacksonville game a better game than it ought to be, quite possibly even losing ...

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    I have a feeling we will lose this game and make the Jacksonville game a better game than it ought to be, quite possibly even losing ...
    Rambos and citr92 like this.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Week 1 we played a mediocre team, and played bad and got away with it and won.

Week 2 we played a good team, played fairly well except for a few very costly mistakes, and I thought looked good enough to have won that game.

Week 3 comes a long and I don't even know what to say, besides that we played terrible on both sides of the ball. I could go on and on about how ugly of a game it was, but there really is no need, since we all saw it.

So which week truly reflects who the Rams really are? Tough to say, but I'm hoping what we saw against the Falcons in week 2 is who the Rams really are, especially that 2nd half.

Thursday night will reveal a lot. With Aldon Smith and Patrick Willis out for the Whiners, if we can't get something going on offense, there really is no excuse.
    Randart likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

RFTID, we are, actually all of those teams, and more. We have a very young team, a very talented team and as such, we are going to see a very high variablity from week to week. An older, experienced and veteran team is more likely to produce very similar results week in and week out because they've seen it all. They have played these teams, players, coaches. Our guys are brand spanking new, and so sometimes they will get the better of the unfamilarity, and other weeks they will be exposed. The only thing we haven't really seen yet is when they all go off at one time, now THAT will be fun.
    Randart likes this.
    I believe!

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    We have a very young team, a very talented team and as such, we are going to see a very high variablity from week to week. An older, experienced and veteran team is more likely to produce very similar results week in and week out because they've seen it all.
    Boy-Oh you said it all there, I have been actually kinda afraid to express my feelings about the team...
    As I was so surprised by last weeks result against them Boyz! Anyone catch Marshall say before the game the Rams would win it? He was talking to Irvin I believe, I was watching carefully in the after shows how Irv might stick it to Marshall but he was pretty classy I thought in not doing so. Marshall's comment was pretty bland also! "They (the Rams) are a Pretty Young Team" What an understatement there they never looked younger than Romo and the the Cow Pokes made them look in all phases! WOW

In the pregame predictions for conditions needed to win I chose QB rating, seems like that was pretty true in the end as turn-overs were even etc. Sam was not horriable imho but as has been pointed out we failed on many many levels especially teams & line play. Also tackling was pretty atrocious on running plays especially. Back to fundimentals ladds! If I was Dee Coordinator this week would be about stopping the run and the pass would get next to no practice time from me. Double Boldin every play! Play the other safety in center field. Every body else get the RB & QB... No Davis at TE and they don't have Crabtree. It is so simplified this week and it probably won't be so easy next time we face them.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

That seems to be the question on everyone's mind at this point.

Its a hard question to answer. Certainly, there are aspects of the Rams'first three games that seem like possible negative trends (inept running game, poor pass coverage). But are these examples of slumps, or long-term weaknesses? d for a chance at the Super Bowl last January are barely above .500. In fact, if you take away the 3-0 Patriots (who have not exactly looked like world beaters in defeating the Bills, .
    What perpelxes me is that we play DRichardson and now Ipead, and most of the runs I saw on Sunday were all inside, smash mouth, up the middle type plays.
    Im not sure if Fisher sees Eddie George all the time when he looks at his current RB corps, but it seems like it.
    These 2 guys seem smallish to be forcing these types of plays. I am under the assupmtion that we drafted Pead so high because he has superior speed and quickness for a HB, not for his tough, break a tackle inside running ability.
    So the question here again points to.... play selection and calling?

Sunday vs the Cowboys, Dmurray basically ran sweeps and counters off tackle and just plain out ran people to the edge then cut back inside. It seems to me that those are the types of plays that would be more suited to Richardson and Pead.
    Last edited by punahou; -09-25-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    Rambos and RamFan_Til_I_Die like this.