RamWraith is offline Registered User

Randy Karraker comments

No question that Marshall being in town this weekend for his golf tournament and debut of his new food line is a shot over the Rams bow. He's probably close to reaching the conclusion that he can't play any more.

From what I understand, Marshall's issues are with Jackson rather than anyone else. Folks at Rams Park told me this weekend that the coach could have been anyone but Martz, and Marshall would act this way. He was Mike's pet and could do what he wanted. Now, they want him to come to the offseason program, get checked out by team doctors and get to know the new system, and do it as Jackson's backup. Marshall just got married, he has a house in San Diego and plays golf every day. And, his knees are sore to boot.

Add to that the fact that his successor doesn't show him any respect and has no use for his knowledge, and Marshall is staying away.

As far as Haslett not showing Linehan respect by not wearing the white Rams golf shirt, that's laughable. Bernie's report wasn't that there is a rift between Linehan and Haslett, but that it's something to keep an eye on if things go bad in '06. So far, everything is fine.

Hill is short, but it looks like he can play. The coaches are thrilled with him since the first week. He was somewhat starry eyed at first, but he's playing with some confidence right now.

Detroit's receivers.

The Lions never even worked Williams out prior to the '05 draft. Millen was surprised he dropped that far, and took him as "the best player available."

Last year, at 252 pounds, Williams ran a 4.8 40. Even if he got down to 225, the person I talked to about him said at best he'd be a 4.7 guy. Plus, he's not tough enough to be a tight end.

From what I hear about these three receivers, Martz has to be going nuts. Despite what he says publicly, what I heard is that all three of these guys are non-competitive, they like playing Madden better than the real game, and they don't do things to help out their quarterback like come back for an underthrown ball or block downfield.

They are the main reason Harrington didn't want to be there...because, as my source said, the three #1 pick receivers, are "turds."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Randy Karraker comments

Millen was surprised he dropped that far, and took him as "the best player available."
    There's a reason the guys over at BangCartoon portray Millen as a "mentally challenged" individual. Going from Bruce, Holt, and Curtis to the 3 "turds" must be quite the shock to Martz' system.

Add to that the fact that his successor doesn't show him any respect and has no use for his knowledge, and Marshall is staying away.
    If that's true, then I can't blame Faulk. I would say Faulk has shown he's a team player, and will do what is best for the organization. So, knowing how bad his knees are, the only reason he may even consider playing would be to mentor Jackson......but if the kid doesn't thinks he knows it all already, why would Faulk want to stick around anyway.

If the comments on Jackson are true, I say, walk Marshall......you're too good for non-sense like that.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith

...Add to that the fact that his successor doesn't show him any respect and has no use for his knowledge, and Marshall is staying away....
    probably just speculation, but then can anyone blame the two guys if they just don't mesh personality-wise...?

They are the main reason Harrington didn't want to be there...because, as my source said, the three #1 pick receivers, are "turds."
    there may be some basis for truth in this statement because, as of the lions OTAs this past week, only roy williams has been practicing with the first team offense under martz. rogers and mike williams have been relegated to 2nd and 3rd team...(corey bradford, who came from texans, eddie drummond and our own mike furrey have been on the 1st team...)

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    That's unfortunate if it's true. I wonder if it's a matter of Jackson just thinking he's too cool for school or if Marshall isn't exactly the best mentor.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

I was not aware the there was a Jackson/Faulk rift.

Most of what I read (and heard) implied that Jackson did have an abiding respect for Marshall.

Fast forwarding to the present, it may be that Jackson is getting a little tired of Faulk's Superstar status (free to miss camps and workout on his own etc...). Did Marshall deliver on his Master/Padawan relationship or did he balk?

Any insights on this?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think that Faulk is realizing that he may not fully recover from this latest surgery. He may also be tired of playing second fiddle to Jackson.

I hate to say it, but I think the writing is on the wall for Faulk. I'd be surprised if he's suited up for training camp.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

If there is bad blood between Faulk and Jackson, it wouldn't surprise me. IMO, there have been hints ever since the 2004 loss to Arizona when Jackson sat the entire game on the bench because Wilbert Montgomery and Faulk, who apparently made the calls on who played, wanted it that way. After that game when Jackson was asked about not playing, he responded with, "I've got nothing to say". Looks like there's a possibility things could have gone downhill from there.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I could totally understand Faulk and Jackson not getting along. For Faulk all he wants is respect and he deserves it. But for Jackson it would tick me off if I had to be in camp but Faulk gets a free ride on everything. Little difficult to learn how to become a pro if the guy isn't acting like a pro.

It's time Faulk moved into retirement. He's right, Rams aren't going to make a serious run at the Superbowl this year so why put another pounding on your body?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

There may be bad blood or there may not, but I'm not comfortable with the way Jackson talks so much. Maybe I'm a little bit old school but it's just not for me. I'm all for confidence but Jackson goes overboard for me. I believe I read that Jackson said if he gets a certain amount of carries he can break Dickerson's record. Just relax there Steven, work on finding the holes better and blocking before you start breaking records.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell
    He's right, Rams aren't going to make a serious run at the Superbowl this year so why put another pounding on your body?
    Do you really believe that? I don't know if you were a fan in the 90s, but if you were, did you think that going into the 99 season after watching that mess in 98? If you did I guess you were wrong huh.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    I think that Faulk is realizing that he may not fully recover from this latest surgery. He may also be tired of playing second fiddle to Jackson.

I hate to say it, but I think the writing is on the wall for Faulk. I'd be surprised if he's suited up for training camp.
    I can't believe that Faulk has a problem backing up Jackson. He knew the situation coming back last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were problems between them however. Jackson seems to be the type of guy who would be insulted by even the most constructive criticism even when its coming from a future hall of famer.

I dunno... maybe I'm just overreacting because im not used to a RB who talks about himself so much.

When i hear from Faulk its "the team" this and "the team" that.

from Jackson i hear a lot of "I" this and "I" that.