MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Randy McMichael hopes to do more on offense ...

Back to web version Friday, Nov 23, 2007
    Posted on Fri, Nov. 23, 2007
    Randy McMichael hopes to do more on offense
    Expanded blocking duties have taken away from his opportunities to catch passes
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

Tight end Randy McMichael often has felt like an extra offensive linemen for the St. Louis Rams this season.

Due to a wave of injuries that has battered the offensive line, the Rams frequently have used McMichael as an extra blocker on pass plays. That has meant fewer opportunities for McMichael to catch passes.

"I think that has been a little bit of the issue all year," Rams quarterback Marc Bulger said. "Unfortunately for him, he is a pretty good blocker and we have been struggling up front, so we would like to keep him in to help out the tackles.

"We want to get him out more because he is effective, but like you said, it is a Catch-22. If we can prove that we are protecting the quarterback well enough, then we can get him out. Most games we haven't been able to do that."

McMichael admittedly would like to get his hands on the ball more. He's seen how Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez, Dallas' Jason Witten and San Diego's Antonio Gates are putting up big receiving numbers this season, and he'd like to get into the act.

But he also realizes that the Rams need help protecting Bulger.

"I'm a playmaker, and you always want the ball in your hands, but you have to know that you need to wait your turn," McMichael said. "I'm waiting my turn patiently. Whenever it's my turn to make a play, I have to go out and make the play because who knows when the ball will come to me again."

McMichael has 24 catches for 294 yards and two touchdowns this season. He's on pace for 38 catches for 470 yards, which would be his lowest receiving totals in six NFL seasons.

McMichael had four receptions for 41 yards and one touchdown against New Orleans two weeks ago, but then he had only one catch for four yards against San Francisco last Sunday.

"I go week to week," McMichael said. "This is a new experience for me, with my role changing every week like never before. I just adjust. I just go about the game plan and do whatever my team needs to win football games."

The Rams signed McMichael to a three-year, $3 million contract after he was released by the Miami Dolphins in March. It was hoped that he'd give the Rams more offensive firepower, especially in the red zone.

However, McMichael's lack of production has been symptomatic of the Rams' offensive struggles. The Rams currently rank 27th in total offense among the NFL's 32 teams.

McMichael said the team's modest two-game winning streak since the bye week has done wonders for the players' outlook.

"Anytime when you win, it's fun no matter what your record is," McMichael said. "Wins are hard to come by in this league. In reality, we're still 2-8, but we feel like we are 2-0."

McMichael said Linehan knows how to get a team turned around, pointing to how the Dolphins won six games in a row to close out the 2005 season with Linehan as their offensive coordinator.

"He knows what it takes to get on a winning streak, and he knows how to stay consistent," McMichael said. "He is doing a good job so far. Hopefully, it can continue to happen."

McMichael said the Rams' NFC West game against the Seattle Seahawks this Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome offers a chance to save face. He referred to the Rams' 33-6 loss to the Seahawks on Oct. 21 as the low point of the season.

"It was a bad feeling all the way around, especially when you realize how bad we played that game," McMichael said. "It was really a pathetic showing on our part by our offense.

"We really weren't able to stop them either. We made some of their players look like Pro bowl players. You have to take your hat off to them, they did well, but if we would have done our job, a lot of those things wouldn't have happened."

Contact reporter Steve Korte at skorte@bnd.com or 239-2522.

© 2007 Belleville News-Democrat and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. http://www.belleville.com

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: Randy McMichael hopes to do more on offense ...

With Todd Steussie back in the lineup, McMichael should have more chances of going down field being another receiving target for Bulger.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    With Todd Steussie back in the lineup, McMichael should have more chances of going down field being another receiving target for Bulger.
    Yes, he could be that secret weapon we've been looking for especially in the red zone.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Yes, he could be that secret weapon we've been looking for especially in the red zone.
    Rams need to pullout every trick in the book against the SeaHawks and Bulger needs to use all of his weapons, most definitely in the REDZONE, this Sunday!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

If Jax can pound the ball with success then Bulger will have time to spread the ball and McMichael will get his.