Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Re: Ranking NFC Safeties

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I dis-agree with the statement that the Cowboys safties are better than the Cards. Have you ever seen Roy Williams in coverage? You thought Archuletta was bad in coverage well Williams is dreadful. I would rather have Wilson and Holt over Hamlin and Williams any day. Williams was involved in both long pass plays vs the Redskins that cost them that last minute finish where they were up double digits and let Moss get by them not just once but twice on long td's. Chavous is ok but I think we could upgrade, and I actually like Atogwe. Atogwe is young but you cant deny his improvement over the last two years. I would hate to see us just give up on him now when we havnt seen the finished product yet. This should be his make or break year.
    And holt is any good? Terrance holt has proven nothing and I would def. Take the cowboys safties rather than the cards.

Built RAM tough

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Oh, I was confused for a minute there. I thought that safety rankings were based on the performance of the individual players, not the defensive unit as a whole. When comparing one safety to another, a high number of tackles means the player is making a lot of plays.

i think they ranked them on player preformences, not a team as a whole.
    Built RAM tough

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    the list is about who the best Safeties are, not about the D as a whole and a high tackle number by a S who plays behind a poor front 7 doesn`t mean the S isn`t as good as advertised,he still has to make the tackles himself!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Oh, I was confused for a minute there. I thought that safety rankings were based on the performance of the individual players, not the defensive unit as a whole. When comparing one safety to another, a high number of tackles means the player is making a lot of plays.
    Oy. Let me spell it out for you then.

A safety playing behind a poor front seven makes alot of tackles. Now, what happens if his front seven magically starts doing their jobs? RBs are going to make it into the secondary less so he's going to make fewer tackles. Does that mean he's gotten worse? No. Does that mean he's underperforming? No. Does that mean he isn't playing as well as a S with more tackles? No.

In other words, a lower number of tackles is not necessarily indicative of one S performing more poorly than another. Following that line of reasoning, a S with more tackles is not necessarily better.

Consider this: Atogwe and Chavous each had about 20 more tackles than Ed Reed. Are you going to suggest that both of them are better than Reed because they made more tackles than he did?

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

well obviously they arent better than reid, i wasnt just suggesting that because they had alot of tackles they were better, if it seemd like i did, im sorry i didnt mean it to be that way, i was just saying their tackles stats were bettter, and basically they were even for all the others
    Built RAM tough

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

And Sean Taylor was in the top 25 in tackles at any position. No single stat is going to tell you whether a player is good or not, but it can be a good indicator. A player with a low numbers of pass deflections could be better than it appears because he has so many interceptions. A guy with few interceptions might be better than the stats because QBs are afraid to throw his way. There are always qualifiers. So generally speaking I think you could say that a safety who has lots of tackles is playing relatively well, but a safety who doesn't have a lot of tackles isn't necessarily playing poorly.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If this list shows you anything, it's how absolutely pedestrian the personnel is for the NFC at the safety position. Personally I would have put Philadelphia at the top spot, and I think the Cowboys @ 2 is pretty horrible. Hamlin has talent but is not elite and Roy Williams is essentially a linebacker.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    And holt is any good? Terrance holt has proven nothing and I would def. Take the cowboys safties rather than the cards.
    Well what exactly has Hamlin proven more than Holt? I kow he has proven he will get run by time after time by NFC west wr's. On top of that Adrian Wilson is incredible. That guy flat out is a player. He alone is the reason the Cards are ranked #1. Holt hasnt proven much but Williams has proven he can't cover anyone in the NFL. The guy flat out stinks in coverage. A hard hitter yes, a run stuffer yes, but zero coverage skills. Wilson is a complete safety, so that is why I dont think the Cowboys are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    If this list shows you anything, it's how absolutely pedestrian the personnel is for the NFC at the safety position. Personally I would have put Philadelphia at the top spot, and I think the Cowboys @ 2 is pretty horrible. Hamlin has talent but is not elite and Roy Williams is essentially a linebacker..
    I could see the Eagles up there but the Cards would have to be second even with a weaker Holt. I completely agree that the Cowboys are too high even at #2.
    Just Fix It

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Wow, the NFC Safety talent pool is rather shallow, yes?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12