Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TekeRam

Thread: Rapid Rams reports

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Rapid Rams reports

By Ron Clements
    June 6th

WR Salas anxious to bounce back from injury
    WR Greg Salas was just beginning to find his groove before he broke his leg on Oct. 23 last season at Dallas. “It was tough, especially after you have a couple of good games and then you have to watch everybody out there,” he said. “I was starting to feel comfortable in the slot. Confidence was definitely building, but cut short prematurely.”

WR Salas (leg) getting healthy
    WR Greg Salas is nearly at 100 percent after breaking his leg at Dallas last October. “This is the best I’ve felt since my injury and it gets better every week,” he said Wednesday. There are still little things, but it’s just a muscle and strength thing and I can always improve that. It feels good.”

WR Salas grateful to have full offseason

Second-year WR Greg Salas is grateful to have a full offseason to learn a new offense, something he missed as a rookie because of the lockout. Salas reminds this year’s rookies how good they have it this year because there are offseason practices to “work the kinks out and be ready for game plans by the time you get to training camp.”

WRs coach Sherman keeps mood light

WR Greg Salas said WRs coach Ray Sherman is a caring coach who keeps things light by periodically telling jokes, even cheesy one-liners about Super Mario Bros. “He’s really hands on with the receivers and allows you to translate things from the meetings to drills and seven-on-sevens,” Salas said. “He’s there for you on and off the field and that’s a big thing. Any question you have, he’s right there. He jokes around and keeps the mood light, but is also serious and everybody respects him for that.”

DT Cudjo: Defense calls for attacking DL

DT Jermelle Cudjo said the new defense allows the interior linemen to penetrate the backfield and attack instead of reacting. “It’s uptempo and we’re all buying in and on the same page,” Cudjo said. “It’s going to be a good year. We don’t have to do much reading, just hit and play football.”

Healthy competition for DTs

DT Jermelle Cudjo said adding players at his position like first-round draft choice Michael Brockers and veteran free agents Trevor Laws and Kendall Langford just creates competition. “They want the best players competing, so you just gotta compete and whoever gets the spot gets the spot,” Cudjo said.

WR Amendola: 'Shocking amount' of offense installed
    WR Danny Amendola said a “shocking amount” of the offense has already been installed and more continues to be added. “We put seven, eight, nine concepts in a day,” Amendola said. “We’re putting a lot in and it’s going well. It’s (similar to the) West Coast, but it’s more explosive than the West Coast. It’s the most intricate offense I’ve ever had.”

DT Cudjo thankful for opportunity to compete after injury
    DT Jermelle Cudjo, undrafted in 2010, said it meant a lot to him that the new coaching staff retained him after Cudjo missed the entire 2011 season with a herniated disc. “I’m just thankful they gave me another opportunity to showcase my skills,” Cudjo said Wednesday. “I’m just going to work hard to stay healthy and try to make the team again.”

Rookie RB Pead back at Rams Park

RB Isaiah Pead is back at Rams Park after missing the first two OTA sessions because of the NFL’s graduation rule. Pead spent the time working out at the University of Cincinnati and coach Jeff Fisher said it’s clear that Pead has studied the playbook, “but there’s no substitute for working here.”

RB Pead happy to be back at Rams Park
    RB Isaiah Pead was not able to be at Rams Park until Tuesday because of the NFL's graduation rule, but had a playbook mailed to him. He studied it daily and had frequent discussions with RBs coach Ben Sirmans using the iPad FaceTime application. “We'd go over plays and install, but it's not the same as being on the field and in meeting rooms,” Pead said following Wednesday's practice. “I was a tad behind but I did a lot of watching today and learning.”

WR Quick impressing Fisher
    Rookie WR Brian Quick made a couple of “impressive plays” during Tuesday’s practice, coach Jeff Fisher said Wednesday. “He’s picking up the offense,” Fisher added. “He made a lot of plays (Tuesday) throughout practice. He’s doing fine. He’s thinking but he’s still making plays. There’s a lot to do, so you just take it day by day. You keep feeding him information. We’ve seen the progress.”

Pleased with the work, Fisher giving players Thursday off
    Coach Jeff Fisher has been pleased with how well the team has practiced on both sides of the ball. The players will have Thursday off before resuming practice on Friday for the final day of OTAs. “We just thought in the offseason four consecutive practice days is too many, so they’ll just get a lift in and that’s all,” Fisher said.

RB Pead playing catch-up
    RB Isaiah Pead plans on playing catch-up this week after missing the first two weeks of OTAs because of the NFL’s rule that prohibits rookies from attending offseason activities until their school’s senior class has graduated. Pead has been spending extra time with RBs coach Ben Sirmans after practice and will also spend his off days at Rams Park.

Fisher says rookies are all caught up

Coach Jeff Fisher spent time following Wednesday’s OTA to work with the rookies. The extra practice period was used to check fitness levels and their understanding of the playbook. The rookies were at Rams Park last week for conditioning and weight lifting. “It appears everybody’s caught up now,” Fisher said. “They’ve closed the gap. Everybody’s in really good shape.”

Fisher: WR Amendola a 'very instinctive' player

Coach Jeff Fisher on WR Danny Amendola: “He’s very instinctive. He’s got great quickness and hands. He’s a smart player and knows how to get open. He makes the tough catch and understands how to run routes and diagnosis and differentiate between zone and man coverage.”

C Wells not at Rams Park again for OTAs
    C Scott Wells was not at the team’s OTAs two weeks ago and was again absent on Wednesday. Coach Jeff Fisher said Wells simply had another day off. Also not at Rams Park were rookies P John Hekker, RB Nick Schweiger and TE Cory Harkey because of the league’s college graduation rule. The rule prohibits rookies from attending certain offseason activites during their rookie year if their class has not graduated. Attending practice Wednesday but not participating were TE Michael Hoomanawanui and OT Jason Smith. CB Josh Gordy was limited.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Rapid Rams reports

I presume Scott Wells is being given the time off because of his age?

Any word on why Illinios Mike and Jason Smith weren't practicing?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post

Any word on why Illinios Mike and Jason Smith weren't practicing?
    My bet is they both have lingering ouchies.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Surely Smith has know how to play the game before he can learn how to practice it?!?

Har Har!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

WR Amendola: 'Shocking amount' of offense installed
    WR Danny Amendola said a “shocking amount” of the offense has already been installed and more continues to be added. “We put seven, eight, nine concepts in a day,” Amendola said. “We’re putting a lot in and it’s going well. It’s (similar to the) West Coast, but it’s more explosive than the West Coast. It’s the most intricate offense I’ve ever had.”

Uh-oh. More intricate than last years? That doesn't sound good...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Hopefully with a full off season we won't have to worry.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Everyone always says that "this year is the best offense EVAR!" More than that, however, intricacies were not the issue that year. It was that the offensive line was not holding up to pressure on longer drops(more 5 and 7 setp drops than Shurmur's WCO), and apparently the OL coach wasn't helping much in terms of teaching technique.

If this offense is more intricate in terms of pre-snap stuff, and in creating quick openings for a rythym and 3 step drop based passing system, then I think we'll pick up where 2010 left off. If we have more of those 7 step drops... I can only hope that Saffold is learning his techniques this year.
    Rambos and MauiRam like this.
    I believe!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    If this offense is more intricate in terms of pre-snap stuff, and in creating quick openings for a rythym and 3 step drop based passing system, then I think we'll pick up where 2010 left off. If we have more of those 7 step drops... I can only hope that Saffold is learning his techniques this year.
    Kellen Clemens should help the young guys and Sam as well having played for Shotty and knowing his offense. Hope you are correct about picking up where 2010 left off. Surely these concepts are not lost on our new coaching staff.

In hindsight, Coach Shurmur appears to have been a very astute guy. (Yes I was one of those impatient fans who thought his O was way too predictable). In retrospect however, it appears he got the most out of the talent level he had at his disposal at the time. I was shocked after he was offered a HC job after only 1 year with us .. Not so much anymore ..

Rambos is online now Registered User

DT Cudjo: Defense calls for attacking DL
    DT Jermelle Cudjo said the new defense allows the interior linemen to penetrate the backfield and attack instead of reacting. “It’s uptempo and we’re all buying in and on the same page,” Cudjo said. “It’s going to be a good year. We don’t have to do much reading, just hit and play football.”
    Fisher saying he wanted to go after the sack record, nice to hear the DT's are going to be getting into the backfield. Our defense could be very good this year can't wait to see them play.